Website Currently Unreachable = SQL error

Greywolf2375

See the annoncement we've posted. Yesterday was a very particular problem.

I seen it, like I said we are all happy to see you are working on this. Btw, on topic of archiving, I understand how archiving such a big and popular forum might be a problem, especially if it's not done in bulks. However, this shouldnt be a problem for the wiki, which got a lot of traffic but hs an insignificant update rate and after testing the could thingy, I noticed that during offline that while the wiki main page is accessible, but I cant access anything from it, not the a song of ice and fire or GRRM articles, not the portals, books or chapter summaries... though, I do get a month old version of the recent pages, which is weird because it's the only dynamic page of them all, that change on dailly basis :dunno: anyway, if there isnt away to set archive only for the wiki for the time, maybe some main pages can be archived manually?

In the meanwhile, for all those who suffer from the WIKI down time and need to get the info you want, just google awoiaf and what you want and click on the google cache option (shows after you click on the right arrow, which I forgot to mark) here is an illustration. http://i43.tinypic.com/2dr5ukx.jpg It would work for the forum as well but I dont know what the use of it, unless you want to view some info from an old thread...

Today we have had other issues, with load on the server spiralling out of control.

Is this due to the number of users online today? Just wondering since it's the Easter weekend and I expected that it may be quieter than usual. I've been having the same problems as everyone else, including the last few hours. The CloudFlare message pops up and I can see the main page but can go no further. Reading or posting at the forum recently is more of a rarity than the norm.

Thanks for working it anyways!

Nothing to do with users. There's 1000 users on now and it's comfortably at 3 or less load, which is very good.

The issue is that the archiving system IPB introduced is very nice... but the work the server has to do to archive a topic is actually not insignificant, and it seems to slow down the server enough that suddenly requests start piling up. It apparently locks tables while it archives, and that leads to the spiral of doom. We have turned off archiving and will wait until the summer to get through that process.

Archived