What is Quaithe?

Lady Hodor

All right, so I am re-reading the series for about the fourth time now.

And again, this bothers me. Who on earth is Quaithe the Shadowbinder?

She is evidently important, I mean she keeps showing up to help Dany.

She shows signs of knowing the future and prophecy, and can show up where she likes.

There are hints she is from Asshai, like most magic characters (Melisandre). But it is never clear.

I do not think she would keep cropping up unless she was of some signifigance to the story.

Any theories on who the hell she is? :dunno:

I originally thought she was a R'hllor-follower, because of her red mask and Mel also hailing from Asshai, but she's never, in all her prophesying, mentioned R'hllor or Azor Ahai. So I have no idea.

Oh...she is called a 'shadowbinder', so perhaps that has something to do with Mel's babies, or Mirri's spell, or both?

Quaite is described when we first see her in a Clash of Kings as "The woman in the lacqurered wooden mask"

But there is little else descriptive about her, other than that she speaks somewhat "Cryptic"

she's Dany's fears and doubts.

or Benjen Stark...

or Tyrek Lannister....

or Tysha... wait, no, that would be too obvious :P

seriously, I believe she's Dany's inner voice.

There are hints she is from Asshai, like most magic characters (Melisandre). But it is never clear.

I'm fascinated by Quaithe just as I have always been fascinated by the Three-Eyed Crow. What hints do you see that Quaithe is from Asshai?

I do not think she would keep cropping up unless she was of some signifigance to the story.

I agree.

Any theories on who the hell she is? :dunno:

Why, yes! I'm glad you asked! (See below :))

Quaithe is Ashara Dayne.

It is known.

Ran,

Quaithe is Shiera Seastar.

It is known. ;)

@Prince in the North

Ser Jorah says once or twice that Quaithe unnerves him, mentioning that many "magei" types from Asshai often do.

And I think casual rumour that Dany hears says it too, when in Meeren and Astapor and Yunkai.

But like I said, it is never made clear, or distinct, or obivious as to where she is from.

What about when we first meet her, at Vaes Tolorro?

I don't mean she doesn't have a physical existence. I just believe she says to Dany the things she already knows or is afraid of. She manipulates her in a way, like reading her mind or something. But that's just the explanation of a naive reader - me - who originally thought of Quaithe as a tool the writer uses to make the story more interesting :)

@Prince in the North

Ser Jorah says once or twice that Quaithe unnerves him, mentioning that many "magei" types from Asshai often do.

And I think casual rumour that Dany hears says it too, when in Meeren and Astapor and Yunkai.

But like I said, it is never made clear, or distinct, or obivious as to where she is from.

Thanks! I just want to always know if there's something I'm missing that rules out my theories. As far as Quaithe goes, for now, I just see too much of a parallel between Brynden Rivers/Bloodraven/The Three-Eyed Crow with Bran and Quaithe with Dany. It's really, really thin, I know, but for now I think Quaithe is Shiera Seastar.

Archived