What is Quaithe?

Lady Hodor

Not yet but maybe later. :dunno:

Is she discussed by other characters in the stories?

The reason I ask is that I've read AGoT through ADWD, but there seems to be bunch of information regarding Targaryen history out there I've never seen.

Like, I've heard about the Blackfyre rebellion in the books, but not enough information to engage in some of the debates I've seen here. Does this info come from Dunk and Egg?

The reason I ask is that I've read AGoT through ADWD, but there seems to be bunch of information regarding Targaryen history out there I've never seen.

Like, I've heard about the Blackfyre rebellion in the books, but not enough information to engage in some of the debates I've seen here. Does this info come from Dunk and Egg?

I think she's mentioned in some Dunk&Egg story....

ETA: yes, in the sworn sword :)

She is Tyrion's female counterpart :eek:

I wonder, should I laugh or should I cry???? :P :P

Unless my memory has utterly failed me, Quaithe identifies herself as hailing from "Asshai by the Shadow" and as a shadowbinder, when she first appears to Dany with the warlock and the merchant. Shadowbinding is what we see Melisandre doing, unless I'm wrong-- using mysterical life force to engender shadow-servants to work the caster's will.

As for how she' skipping in and out, and how she can talk to Dany although "if you called your guards they would swear I am not here"-- she's talking to Dany via the glass candles which have started working, again, since the birth of the dragons, Valyrians used glass candles to communicate from afar. Valyrian magics based in blood and fire were at least greatly weakened by the absence of dragons in the world, but there's no implication that all the shadow-magics were also broken.

Has there ever been an instance in the series of what appeared to be a character turning out to be just a part of the perceiver's psychosis? Quaithe can't be just a figment of Dany's imagination, since others see and comment on her as well.

I have a personal theory about the nature of the "Shadow" by Asshai, and its relationship to the fires of Valyria and the ice far beyond the Wall. But I'll just have to wait another decade or so tio see how cloe my guesses are :) One hint: that Melisandre tells JOn that the Wall is ""one of the hinges of the world".

Well, not quite since, you know, she was reputed to be incredibly beautiful and all but I see what you're getting at. They both have mismatched eyes.

Both their mothers died birthing them too. Plus

She was a great reader, even at an early age, spoke many languages, and maintained a large and arcane library

This sounds quite similar to Tyrion too.

But yeah, she was beautiful and he isn't. I can only assume she wasn't a dwarf too :P

Oh, and the fact that Shiera Seastar and Tyrion Lannister both have mismatched eyes could be used as further "evidence" that Tyrion is really the son of Mad King Aerys Targaryen (if they were so inclined). But that's getting a bit too far out there even for me ;)

I'm not really sure what to think about that theory, if I'm honest. Personally I think it's better that he is Tywin's son, but it's strange to have those similarities for no reason. Interesting. Has it been thrashed out a lot before? Must hunt down threads!

I'm guessing this Sheira is in the Dunk & Egg books? I'm waiting for them all to come out together before I buy them, so I usually feel a bit lost :lol:

Sorry to the OP, hijacking your thread a bit here! :P

Shiera is discussed in a Dunk & Egg story, and she's also described by GRRM as having a heart shaped face (referenced on her wiki page).

This fascinates me, because the only two other women who are pointedly described as having a heart shaped face are:

Jeyne Stark nee Westerling, daughter of Sybell Spicer, granddaughter of "Maggy the Frog" from Asshai.

Melissandre, also from Asshai (and boy, does the author hammer home that heart shaped face observation).

I think there are connections among many of the magical ladies, though I don't think any of the particular religions is where they truly intersect.

As for how she' skipping in and out, and how she can talk to Dany although "if you called your guards they would swear I am not here"-- she's talking to Dany via the glass candles which have started working, again, since the birth of the dragons, Valyrians used glass candles to communicate from afar. Valyrian magics based in blood and fire were at least greatly weakened by the absence of dragons in the world, but there's no implication that all the shadow-magics were also broken.

Has there ever been an instance in the series of what appeared to be a character turning out to be just a part of the perceiver's psychosis? Quaithe can't be just a figment of Dany's imagination, since others see and comment on her as well.

Wasn't it also mentioned that the glass candles could be used to manipulate/talk to people through their dreams? I can't remember who said it, but I'm thinking Marwyn maybe. Or I could be imagining things too.

Anyway, I know Dany was soaking in a tub when she saw Quaithe in ADWD, so she easily could have been sleeping there. Wasn't she also in bed the other times Quaithe has contacted her? So, yeah I like your glass candles theory, it makes sense :thumbsup:

Dany, the Mad Queen, is crazy and hallucinates that she's there. There has been instances where other people have walked in whilst Dany was talking to Quaithe (AKA herself) and Quaithe "dissappeared" and the person asked who Dany was talking to. In other words, she wasn't there to begin with. I think Dany is going to go down the same road as her father, and Barristan will become the Queenslayer to prevent it, then kill himself from grief.

But she showed up riding a donkey next to Xaro and Pyat. She was really there then, so why not always? Though that undermines my crazy theory...

Archived