What is Quaithe?

Lady Hodor

she's Dany's fears and doubts.

or Benjen Stark...

or Tyrek Lannister....

or Tysha... wait, no, that would be too obvious :P

seriously, I believe she's Dany's inner voice.

Yes and no. She's her inner voice only because she has the glass candles (which she tells Dany are burning) to talk to Dany. However, she is a real person.

Hmm...that may have been me. I don't know of anyone else who thinks Quaithe is Shiera Seastar :dunno:

People think that, but in all honesty I think it makes more sense for Melisandre to be Shiera Seastar. We know she glamors herself, and we never are told why she chose Stannis while every other red priest is one their way to see Dany. In my mind, I like the idea that Melisandre/Shiera gets alarmed when she see's Bloodraven's "thousand eyes" in the fire - and then starts bleeding between her legs - because of the connection between the two great bastards.

Why can't Quaithe just be Quaithe? I mean she is the perfect oracle character, revealing the future in a cryptic yet completely accurate way and not having a story-changing background, like Melquiades from "100 años de soledad"(don't know the english name for the book).

It's 100 Years of Solitude in English - one of my fav. books

• 1 year later...

First off let me say that I hate Dany more than pretty much every character in the stories outside of maybe Catelyn Stark, I'm not biased at all in my opinion of this situation and I really don't buy into the idea of her "psychosis" projecting this "imaginary friend" because it's giving her a handful of information that she would have no way of knowing otherwise....how would she project this prophecy of victarion and moquorro coming over together? A very unlikely pairing and absolutely impossible to predict in any state outside of some supernatural "fortune telling". Quaithe exists, the question is who's "projecting" her (I like the dragon glass candles for this regardless of how it's happening) and what is her history?She could be somehow used by the citadel to keep Dany in her place but I think that it's equally likely that she's from Asshai/Old Valyria and she's trying to get Dany to head back to her ancestral grounds for some bigger reason.

my bet's on Sheira Seastar if she is an actual person

I agree.

As to the idea that why can't Quaithe be Quaithe?

I dont know if its just me but that would feel less compelling then her actually being someone, everything points to her not being a random "oracle".

Also I find it odd that a random Essosi woman would be contacting Dany before she hatched the eggs, which means Quaithe knew Dany would hatch the eggs, so it makes sense for her to be SS who was known for studying ancient scrolls etc. and probably cracked the puzzle on how dragons would return and started putting an eye on Dany just like BR was on Bran.

Quaithe may be using Dany for her own game but this isn't news at eleven, pretty much several characters are being used as pawns just like BR is using Bran, FM Arya, LF Sansa, and etc.

Each of the main protagonists in the story have a DIFFERENT magical advisor, who seem to be ageless or to have lived well beyond normal lifespan

Dany - Quaithe (??)

Jon- Melisandre (Fire)

Bran- Blood Raven (Life/earth)

Arya- Kindly old Man (Death/water)

Thanks! I just want to always know if there's something I'm missing that rules out my theories. As far as Quaithe goes, for now, I just see too much of a parallel between Brynden Rivers/Bloodraven/The Three-Eyed Crow with Bran and Quaithe with Dany. It's really, really thin, I know, but for now I think Quaithe is Shiera Seastar.

For what it's worth, I agree.

I had forgotten that she had the moniker "Shadowbinder". Perhaps she is part of an as yet unmentioned opposing force to the agents of R'hllor? Or simply has their powers (with regards to the shadowbabies) and no religious affiliation?

Maybe she's able to bind and control those shadow creatures? Would be useful.

• 1 month later...

Each of the main protagonists in the story have a DIFFERENT magical advisor, who seem to be ageless or to have lived well beyond normal lifespan

Dany - Quaithe (??)

Jon- Melisandre (Fire)

Bran- Blood Raven (Life/earth)

Arya- Kindly old Man (Death/water)

Sure, if those are indeed supposed to be the "main protagonists." What about Tyrion? Davos? Sansa?

First off let me say that I hate Dany more than pretty much every character in the stories outside of maybe Catelyn Stark, I'm not biased at all in my opinion of this situation and I really don't buy into the idea of her "psychosis" projecting this "imaginary friend" because it's giving her a handful of information that she would have no way of knowing otherwise....how would she project this prophecy of victarion and moquorro coming over together? A very unlikely pairing and absolutely impossible to predict in any state outside of some supernatural "fortune telling". Quaithe exists, the question is who's "projecting" her (I like the dragon glass candles for this regardless of how it's happening) and what is her history?She could be somehow used by the citadel to keep Dany in her place but I think that it's equally likely that she's from Asshai/Old Valyria and she's trying to get Dany to head back to her ancestral grounds for some bigger reason.

Quoted for truth. There's no way Dany imagines Quaithe because Quaithe tells her things she wouldn't know.

• 2 months later...

I also agree that Quaith has to be a real person, and she is using the glass candles to contact Dany. But I feel like even if she's wearing a mask, Dany would have seen her eyes. They're too notable a feature on Sheira Seastar not to be mentioned.

I however don't have a better suggestion of who she might be, and although I don't think she is Dany's projection, I do like the idea that Dany is mad.

It would be a bit too boring for GRRM to make Dany the hero queen who gets the throne in the end, I don't mind if she gets the throne, but he's at least got to make her a tyrannical maniac like her dad.

Is there any other POV that has seen her??

In aDwD (The Merchant's Man) chapter (i think) Quint Martell and co.are trying to find a ship to reach Dani. After talking to the smuggler capton of The Advinture they return to the inn they are staying Quint sees a masked shadowbinder from Asshaii? could this have been her??

I also agree that Quaith has to be a real person, and she is using the glass candles to contact Dany. But I feel like even if she's wearing a mask, Dany would have seen her eyes. They're too notable a feature on Sheira Seastar not to be mentioned.

I however don't have a better suggestion of who she might be, and although I don't think she is Dany's projection, I do like the idea that Dany is mad.

It would be a bit too boring for GRRM to make Dany the hero queen who gets the throne in the end, I don't mind if she gets the throne, but he's at least got to make her a tyrannical maniac like her dad.

or the fact that Bloodraven has to become half a tree to still be alive, but Shiera is perfectly fine

A re-read is in order. Plenty of characters have seen her, including Jorah Mormont and others in Daenerys' retinue.

But not since the first/second appearance. I'm saying that while initially may have been real, now I believe she's a figment of Dany's imagination.

I agree.

As to the idea that why can't Quaithe be Quaithe?

I dont know if its just me but that would feel less compelling then her actually being someone, everything points to her not being a random "oracle".

Also I find it odd that a random Essosi woman would be contacting Dany before she hatched the eggs, which means Quaithe knew Dany would hatch the eggs, so it makes sense for her to be SS who was known for studying ancient scrolls etc. and probably cracked the puzzle on how dragons would return and started putting an eye on Dany just like BR was on Bran.

Quaithe may be using Dany for her own game but this isn't news at eleven, pretty much several characters are being used as pawns just like BR is using Bran, FM Arya, LF Sansa, and etc.

Wait, what do you mean before she hatched the eggs? Quote?

Quote from ACOK...just confirming how Quaithe first introduces herself to Dany.

"The woman in the lacquered wooden mask said in the Common Tonge of the Seven Kingdoms,"I am Quaithe of the Shadow".

Quote from ADWD....(a wilding that crosses the wall along with all the others giving up their treasures/posessions).

"The warrior witch Morna removed her weirwood mask just long enough to kiss his gloved hand and swear to be his man or his woman, whichever he preferred."

I just searched all 5 books to see if Quaithe's mask is made of weirwood....thought this was in the books but I now believe it was a wonderful theory I read when first joining this forum.

No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

So some agency with access to glass candles decides to keep Dany in the loop. Lucky Dany because glass candles mean superior intelligence. Maybe they like her style. Maybe it's part of some bigger play. Anyway the point of the communique is to warn Dany about a plague and a slew of false friends headed her way. And it would have worked swimmingly if Quaithe had just used plain language. Whoever the dark flame and the mummer's dragon are, I'm thinking they have names.

Archived