Jon & Ygritte - Who do you relate to?

Englshredwolf

I have so much to say about these two, and would like to touch on some personal feelings aswell - I am about 700 pages in ASOS beware I have not yet learned how to hide things under "spoiler" so ill try to keep it vague. Since this is a general topic (I'm sure it's been around) feel free to talk about some experiences that you related with some characters, or let me know what you think of mine.

I relate to Jon because he's definately the black sheep of the family, and is in some pretty engulfing commitments. I can't say how much I draw personal emotions from the characters and use them in daily life. I find I remind myself how bad conditions can be from the inconviniences involved where you end up in life / where life takes you. The Wall at the end of the world? Enduring cold, impending threats, no support but from the new family that you make.

*Spoiler* I have to say, my favorite part of the series which I have read so far would be the last few pages where Jon has his final encounter with Ygritte. I was thinking.. through all of what has happened between them and ending up opposing eachother, at that final moment, nothing else seemed to matter but what made them once so happy. It reminds me how such strange encounters can lead to life changing experiences. I'm sure he knew what he had - had to sacrafice, in that moment.

They should have stayed in that cave! :P

I agree their last scene was really tender, it could have had a lot of bitterness to it, but you said it right--the only thing that mattered was what once made them so happy.

One thing I wonder about Jon Snow now is if he traded love for power. Do you think Jon Snow is loyal?

Ygritte was pretty awesome. I figured from the time he first joined the wildlings something like that would happen with him and her. They couldn't really get together forever.

The Night's Watch is kind of crazy with those oaths. If they didn't have to forswear just about everything any normal man would in Westeros would want, they would have more people up there defending the wall. I keep wondering if Jon is going to be stuck with them and those oaths forever. I also wonder when, if ever, we'll be seeing a Stark family reunion. It would be especially nice if jon and Arya could meet again, since they think about each other so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I cant wait to see how this turns out on the TV show, when they parted ways for the last time I nearly cried, its a great story

I definitely want to see how this relationship will turn out! I'm not sure how they will handle it on the show.

One thing I wonder about Jon Snow now is if he traded love for power. Do you think Jon Snow is loyal?

I don't think he necessarily chose to trade love for power.He more or less chose to trade it for his honor and his duty

to the defense of the realm which, in his mind, had to come first before Ygritte. I think he was loyal to the Realm and was incredibly split between it and

Ygritte.

I always wondered what would have happened if Summer hadn't intervened that night. A few more days or weeks and I think he might have decided

that she was a larger pull on his heart than his honor and duty was. As their story went on I started to think that maybe he would desert the watch since

it was almost hinted that way. His guilt was less every time they had sex and he was questioning what was so wrong about it.

Then again, the wildlings might have just offed him because he didn't kill the old man. I was rooting for him to just kill the old man. Then again I've always been fascinated with stories that change the

honorable man into something else. I absolutely loved Anakin in Star Wars when he went over to the dark side for his love and I was kind of hoping for something of the same sort with Jon even though

I knew he was too much like Eddard to probably do that.

Archived