How would you rate episode 201?

Ran

How would you rate episode 101?  

589 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it an 8, I really enjoyed the episode.

I do agree with some of the complaints like with Craster's look but it didn't really bother me that much. The show did seem to just be ploughing through the scenes without any rest but I guess I can understand that. The bastard purging scene...yikes! Children really aren't safe on TV anymore.

I've deliberately not read any other comments on this thread, so as to give my personal take without influence :D

I gave the overall episode an 8. I felt that an awful lot was crammed in to set us up for the rest of the season, which is understandable, but I felt only one or two scenes were truly explored in depth as far as character was concerned. We certainly saw how far Robb has come, for instance, in his wonderful scene with Jaime (well done to both actors, there - and of course a massive hug to the CGI department for Grey Wind). Robb and Cat's scene was also fully explored.

Any chance to have the excellent Lena Headey on screen in conflict with anyone at all, is OK by me, so I did enjoy her scene with Littlefinger up to a point - and for once Gillen didn't make me cringe either. From a writing point of view, however, I thought it was a bit clumsy to have LF expose his hand so soon - but only time will tell if they've handled this correctly for the rest of the season.

Slightest disappointment: (Puts on armour) - I am a huge fan of Tyrion/Dinklage, but felt he swaggered through this a bit, and hope he settles down into his usual more subtle performance. I'm sure he will - I've seen some teaser clips from upcoming episodes where he's got it together again.

New main characters: I thought Robert Pugh pulled off Craster well - that was how I saw him in the book. There was an almost pseudo-avuncular aura about him that made him twice as vile, IMHO. I did expect his home to be bigger somehow, but that's no real complaint.

Stannis: I loved him in the books - and as I personally have always seen him as a sort of latterday Tiberius (grim, soldier-ruler whom nobody loves) I was pleased with the first shots of him. Dillane is a tremendous actor anyway, and gives the beautifully understated performances that a character like Stannis demands.

Melisandre: Apologies to Carice. When I first saw her in the clips I wasn't convinced. Last night, she won me over. Again, I always prefer the understated, more subtle performances than the big melodramatic ones, and I actually found Mel's nonchalant 'take me or leave me' delivery to be quite effective. Yep - Mel was a hit for me. We'll have to see how she goes.

Davos: What can I say? Book character brought to life for me. I love the Onion Knight anyway, and so far Liam Cunningham is living up to everything I hoped for.

Overall - a few scenes dangled and seemed rushed as we sped round the various localities to catch up with our characters from Series 1, but that is understandable. I groaned - as usual - when we shot to Ros again, but realised that she was once again the device for exposition of a scene not in the POV of a major character (the killing of the bastards). However, for me she rapidly became a tired device in Series 1. And Shae remains a total disaster for me, I'm afraid.

Perhaps my lasting image from this one was the look on Cersei's face when she realised that her control of Joff is slipping away.

Can't wait for the next 9 episodes.

i really enjoyed the episode, giving it 8/10.

I think if I were writing it I would have cut Jon's story from the episode. I felt as though that portion of the episode really needed time to breathe. Nothing was achieved and the scene between Jon and Mormont seemed as though it was disguised exposition. More time could have been spent establishing Dragonstone (I agree with those who wish it had been the first scene).

The King's Landing scenes were a master class - beautifully shot, scripted and acted. As were the scenes in Robb's camp.

I really liked Ros' whorehouse scene, it was an excellent bait and switch! That final sequence with Robert's bastards was excellent, some of the best scenes from the series so far! I got the same feeling from the end of this episode that I got at the end of 'Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things' - its all about to kick off!

I gave it an 8. After reading all the comments , there were things that I had only given a passing WTF, like Crasters Keep, although not like the book description, I did feel the actor gave off a certain menace that would keep all the women of the household subject to his 'needs'. The huge depiction of Greywind got a big yes, so I forgave them for dragging Jamie through the battles. Robb definitely projected worthy leadership status, Joffry was brilliantly nasty, Melisandre was seductive in her power rather than scary - how I read her character anyway. (get more converts that way) Yep pretty good all round, except the irritating Roz/ whorehouse scenes. And I was watching it with a non reader so I didn't spoil their enjoyment by pointing out all the plot changes. I can appreciate the differences between the show and the books. The books are the Bible of this world (ASoIaF world I mean) while the show has become like an offshoot religion...same story, different interpretation. Does that make GRRM God???LOL

PS no offence intended to any religiously inclined person. If you are here on this site, this is our religion!!

PPS I also liked the way the scenes blended from one totally different location to another.

I give it a solid 8. A strong opening, that played out quite a bit differently than I expected .As far as new cast members go, I'm really satisfied with, Davos, Stannis and Melisandre but not so much with Craster. He doesn't really look like a wildling, far too clean. I was hoping to see a bit more of Cressen as well.

I really liked how they showed the comet being viewed by different characters.

Looking forward to this season.

Caster looks more like Santa to me. I expected to observe some crooked nose long grizzy haired wilding actually.

And again I had to explain my friends who didn't read the book who is who.

And yeah, whats wrong with that fake magic sword of Stannis, he just left it on the beach and when Onion knight picked it , its wasn't flaming anymore...

Edited by K1T

And yeah, whats wrong with that fake magic sword of Stannis, he just left it on the beach and when Onion knight picked it , its wasn't flaming anymore...

Isn't that because Davos isn't meant to be wielding it? It will only flame/glow for Stannis - well if Mel puts her hex on it. I took that bit as a visual metaphor.

Edited by Drogon's Personal Trainer

I thought that the brothel scene and the killing of the infant was a bit too drawn out - in the book, it was only mentioned briefly. The filming of the slaughter of Robert's bastards wasn't as good as some of the other scenes.

I thought that the brothel scene and the killing of the infant was a bit too drawn out - in the book, it was only mentioned briefly. The filming of the slaughter of Robert's bastards wasn't as good as some of the other scenes.

I think the bastard killing was the best scene of the show. It really showed what twats the Lannisters are. It was also pretty shocking for many viewers. HBO aren't scared of showing the gritty stuff.

I gave it a 6 and I know that's really harsh but I had VERY high expectations for this episode (I know-- we all did.) I think the episode really came to life during the second half, and I hope that's indicative of the quality upcoming for the rest of the series.

I don't have time to add any explanation but I'm going to watch it again tonight and coalesce my opinion a bit more... I was generally happy with the episode despite my harsh rating.

It was OK, 6 for me. Mixed up scenes (should have started with Cressen's like the book, which was WAY better in the book) and exonerated Cersei of any wrongdoing with regards to Joff which didn't sit well with me. I thought Jaime being scared but still defiant in the Grey Wind scene actually fitted his character fairly well. What tied up prisoner facing an unbluffable direwolf wouldn't be scared? But the changes, as noted, were less necessary than those seen last season. New characters fitted in well. Good acting across the cast.

Am I the only one who thinks the LF/Cersei confrontation is ok with his character? I've aleays portrayed him as a bit of a gambler, one who plays the game of thrones remarkably well but simply doesn't take it as seriously as he should. At different times, he's cocky, arrogant, patronizing about the others and prone to pinpoint their shortcomings when he thinks he can get away with it - he did it with Ned and Tyrion.

He also took great pains to explain Sansa his schemes, his role in murdering Joffrey, and how he planned subduing the lords of the Vale, almost in a supervillain manner.

Until that moment, Cersei hadn't been specially power drunk with him or anyone, he probably underplayed her importance and her will to use her power, so he thought he could engage her in some funny insult trading like he did with lots of other people before.

Also, he wasn't exactly displaying some secret knowledge that was his ace in the sleeve - the cat was out of the hat already because of Stannis.