How would you rate episode 201?

Ran

How would you rate episode 101?  

589 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

But it appears that LF thinks it's a bad idea to do that to Cersei (as opposed to Tyrion/Ned) for whatever reason, because I can't ever remember him taunting her like that, or even close. Their first conversation in aCoK actually is her praising him for his cleverness.

Edited by dannister

But it appears that LF thinks it's a bad idea to do that to Cersei (as opposed to Tyrion/Ned) for whatever reason, because I can't ever remember him taunting her like that, or even close. Their first conversation in aCoK actually is her praising him for his cleverness.

Again, remember the POV structure. Do you think Tyrion or Sansa (our KL POVs) were present at all Cersei/LF conversations?

I don't think there is any excuse for the LF scene. It was out of character. Yes, he is human and can make mistakes, but there are some mistakes that some people never make from years and years of experience. I would think a mistake LF would never make is randomly taunting a woman that he knows is wild, manipulative and aggressive. He does that stuff with Tyrion and Ned because he knows they're not going to react like Cersei, and don't really have the power to. I just have to accept it for what it is - book LF vs. tv LF are two different people. That's fine, but it's not true to the books.

Edited by dannister

I think it was a conscious decision to tweak the character slightly and was meant to show that Cersei is a lot like Joffrey in her childish, impulsive use of her power. They don't have as much time to spend on this as the books had, so a quick few scenes served as reminders as to exactly why Tywin would want Tyrion there whilst Cersei and Joffrey are acting like irresponsible political idiots.

I had friends that were non-book readers call/text me to ask if Dany was going to get busy with her bloodrider soon. And it's a theory that is out there on other forums as well. We don't see it since we're book readers, but apparently a lot of people do. I still firmly believe it was just supposed to be a touching (although awkward) moment between her and Drogo's friend and now of the blood of her blood, but...who knows.

It was weird how Dontos didn't seem drunk like....at all.

As far as the Reeds, it's very sad that they were cut. I can live without the Blackfish (barely), but Jojen would have been really freakin' cool to see on HBO. Instead we just get...Osha.

Oh, and no three slaps to Tyrion from Cersei was disappointing :( That could have been clever and funny as hell, with Tyrion's witty little quips and all.

I think the biggest reason the three slaps fell out...it's probably physically awkward. Standing up or sitting down, in live action, how would she hit him? From the books and our imagination, it's easier to "see".

You look familiar. Do you live in Florida by chance?

I gave it a 10. I have no problem about deviating from the source material. The book is excellent but I never cared for the introduction. To the producers, directors, writers, actors and all the production people well done. I am looking forward for the next 9 episodes.

Totally agree on Craster. He was nothing like what I pictured. He seemed more like an angry old farmer than some disgusting incestuous pedophile.

You didn't find him disgusting enough? I was shivering every time he looked at Jon, lol.

Wow, many seem to really disagree with me re: Craster. I thought the performance was awesome. Captured that weird combination of a guy who sees himself as a king in his own right and a back alley beggar angling for every inch he can get.

I also thought he was plenty creepy, but I think people's expectations were too based on plot. We know he's uber-creepy because of what he does...not because he wears a dirty "I **** my daughters!" t-shirt. That's what's central to his creepiness. Outside of that his dominant characteristics are being tough, mean, petty, grudging, dangerous, crude and intimidating. I think that's what Pugh nailed to a t.

Edited by James Arryn

The Cersei/Littlefinger scene didn't seem too bad to me after getting to know "neutered TV!Cersei" a little better. I don't really blame Baelish for assuming this lioness was lacking fangs.

Also, is it just me or is his voice a little... off?

ETA: 7/10.

Edited by Jamie Lannister

Overall I liked the first episode. How in the world are they going to fit the rest of this book into nine episodes?

The only part that didn't work for me was Tyrion/Shea bedroom scene. I thought the acting and dialogue felt forced and unnatural. Not sure about Melisandre. Looked a bit too straight to me. Could have used a touch of HBC Bellatrix wierdness. I think Liam Cunningham will be a good choice for Davos.

Cheers

Second, it seems like they switched Maester Cressen's character and Davos' character! Cressen was urging Davos to tell Stannis "the truth", and yet Davos has ALWAYS told Stannis the truth! That's one of the reasons we AND Stannis love him. On a corollary note, the way Melisandre treated Cressen was totally off-character. In the book, she is very polite to him, even urging him to put aside the poisoned wine. Well, there is one scene where she tells Cressen to where the fool's cap, but in general, she does not speak in the vulgar way that she talked to him "you smell of fear and piss and old bones"...that is NOT something Mel would say. And she's not a favorite character of mine. Also, I think that to people who haven't read the books, the burning of the 7 might be very confusing. There is not enough information. Imho, they should have spent more time on Dragonstone, with this man Stannis and Davos etc. whom the viewer knows NOTHING about -- the ones who haven't read the books, that is.

The relationship between Davos, Stannis, and Melissandre in my opinion is going to be the hardest to portray in a short period of time. I figure give it sometime and see what happens, you never know.

Why were there no clansmen or Bronn accompanying Tyrion into Joffrey's nameday jousting? It was a symbol of his power. I agree that Jack Gleeson does his part exceptionally well, but that leads me to another scene that I hate - where he says "how many women did he fuck when he got tired of you?" and Cersei slaps him. She never does that in the book. That's Tyrion's job.

Actually Bronn and the Clansmen follow Tyrion into the scene, right after the drunk is spared and made a Fool. Bronn is standing next to The Hound.

Edited by Lord_Chaplin

I gave it an 8. I really liked it overall, the transitions between the comet scenes and the introductions of the new characters.

1. I really like how they are fleshing out Robb's character more in the show. I missed that big time in the books and I'm not even a Robb fangirl. I just thought he deserved better. He had a smart rebuttal for everything Jamie said. I like how he didn't let Jamie get the upper hand in the conversation.

2. I feel like I'm the only one that is really disappointed with Stannis's voice! The actor looks fine to me but his voice is just too high pitched. I imagined a more gruff, bitter sounding man.

3. I really liked Davos, thought his look was perfect but was he wearing his finger necklace? I couldn't tell

4. Last season I really thought the casting was SPOT ON (Ned, Walder Frey, Greatjon, Drogo, etc) but this year it just seems a little .. off. Maybe it's just the lull between seasons.. and the fact that I read the book before this season (had not read GoT when the show aired). Hopefully they will develop more and grow on me

5. Craster's acting was good but he just wasn't scraggly looking enough. He should've had a huge beard with bits of food in it.

6. Jon was actually annoying to me and I like him! I hope his future scenes in the North really show him losing the naivety.

7. I know it's nitpicky but WTF was up with Ser Dontos??! He was not right at all. Isn't Dontos supposed to be someone who *thinks* he's smart but is just drunk all the time? He just looked like an oaf to me. I suppose he'll look good in motley.

8. Cersei +1000. Lena's doing it for me this season. I'm looking forward to her relishing the power.

9. If the Reed's arent showing up, I'm really wondering how Bran will find out about the Knight of the Laughing Tree (or was that in SoS?) b/c there's no way Osha would know that

10. I really really really hope we are introduced to Podrick.

oh and last but not least: Where was Tyrion's line to Sansa "you're as loyal as a deer surrounded by wolves" and then her "lions" slip up. That does SO MUCH for her character and redemption showing that she still hates the Lannisters.

Longtime lurker first time posting I rated the episode a seven, agree with most of the other posts I couldn't stand the LF Cersei scene, also the brothel scene with Ros served no purpose. But on the other hand I did enjoy the scenes between Robb and Theon, providing additional insight perhaps on Robbs decision making process to send Theon back the the Iron Islands. Overall although I was disappointed with some of the changes from the book, I still felt they captured the essence of the chapters which this episode covered, and given that it's the first episode I am assuming future episodes will be much stronger.