How would you rate episode 201?

Ran

How would you rate episode 101?  

589 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I've read up-thread that some were not too pleased with the "Ros" character. I've always wondered if she was really, (crackpot theory) Lynesse Hightower/Mormont. I'm sure someone more versed in the history will set my mind to rest. I realize the possibility she could be recognized; but, age can and often change one's looks.

Edited by Slingingstones

And why on EARTH did they have Dany's silver die? She has that throughout the whole five books. What PURPOSE does this serve? I doubt I'll be watching any more episodes until the season ends. Then I'll pirate them. It's not worth paying 15 bucks a month to watch this shit that B&W have corrupted and made absolutely awful. I refuse to pay for it anymore. I'm really pissed about what they've done. They said they'd be faithful to the story. They lied.

I guess since her story is so boring they had to think of something. I told my fanboy friend that Silver is still alive and that I didn't understand the purpose of that death, and he said, "It's to show how wonderful and amazing and sympathetic and caring she is <3 <3." :rolleyes:

I concur that the actor who plays Ser Dontos seems a bad actor- for one he doesn't look convincing as someone who just nearly faced a horrible death.

Yeah, what was up with that guy? I was expecting some HBO-shocking full-frontal drunk nudity, or at least a missing shirt..but the guy didn't even really look disheveled or even drunk, really.

And why on EARTH did they have Dany's silver die? She has that throughout the whole five books. What PURPOSE does this serve?

I thought it was just a plot device to show that they had been traveling very far and the toll on the column was reaching its limits. Maybe they could have shown women and children dying of thirst mayhaps but then they would have no time for the brothel scene... just kidding haha.

I'll be buying this - I shudder to think if HBO didn't make enough money from the series and abandoned the whole effort - so no more shows like Band of Brothers, Pacific, Rome... and in the end we'll get reality shows like biggest loser, apprentice and other horrendous shows.

Yeah, what was up with that guy? I was expecting some HBO-shocking full-frontal drunk nudity, or at least a missing shirt..but the guy didn't even really look disheveled or even drunk, really.

He was just a terrible actor. For a second I thought it was a cameo by Peter Jackson (Hobbit) who got lost in between sets.

Yes, it really doesn't fit at all. It's a scene that woks only if you suppose he's somehow not been at court for over 15 years and has no sense as to what she's capable of.

I totally agree. The confrontation scene with Cersei was totally not in keeping with LF's character - there was no way in hades that "book" LF would tick Cersei off like that. He knew what she was capable of and made absolute certainty never to offend her in any way possible or to doubt his loyalty to her cause.

Now how is she going to appoint LF to Harrenhal?

To be true to the books they would have had to gone through the expense and time of a full jousting tournament. Given the 7 or 8 story lines they had to work in, I think it was a smart choice.

It would have served as a powerful contrast between Ned Stark's Hand of the King Tourney and KING Joffrey's nameday tourney. When I read the book, i sensed a grievance nursed by Joffrey that the king's tourney wasn't as good as the hand's tourney. He took further insult when his dog called his tourney a "tournament of gnats." To then see Ser Dontos half-naked, flopping around and too drunk to get on his horse drove him mad with rage. I would have rather had fidelity to this scene and had them cut out the scene between Joffrey and Cersi in the throne room if they were worried about time constraints.

I gave it an 8. I think they did a very good job of reminding the casual viewers about where the characters are and what they're doing without making it too boring for us die-hard fans. The only major problem I had was the introduction of Mel and Davos. If I hadn't read the books those scenes would have meant absolutely nothing to me. I had my doubts about Carice van Houten, but she did a great job, as did pretty much everyone else. Kit Harington still has the same facial expression for every emotion, but he's pretty much the only actor I have anything bad to say about. Stephen Dillane as Stannis nailed it! I loved how he delivered the line about Robert not being beloved and adding Ser to Jaime's name.

He was just a terrible actor. For a second I thought it was a cameo by Peter Jackson (Hobbit) who got lost in between sets.

I love it when we slam actors after their first scene.

Maybe his indication from the director was different from what you were expecting to see when you read that scene? Could also be, no? I thought he was awkward, confused and totally lost, but he didn't struck me as "terrible" at his craft.

Doesn't she have the best phony smile? When you see it you know someone's in deep crap.

Totally. And I love what they've done to her looks, as well. She seems more of a lioness now, and less the battered housewife she was in season one.

I know everyone is wondering why so much importance is placed on Ros, and so was I, but then it dawned on me that they might use her as a substitute to Chataya & Alayaya, who are important in the Tyrion/Shae storyline. Also, she might be used to show some of Jeyne Poole's story and Littlefinger might use her as a confidante (like last season). But what bothered me is why they showed Tyrion taking Shae to the Hand's Tower when in the books he had taken every possible measure to keep her hidden.

I read some pages but not all, I gave it about a 7, I was disappointed Robb did not mentioned ICE, I love Natelia Tenna but was hoping for at least one Reed child, and they made Sansa a bit meeker here maybe the "surrounded by lions" will show up later.

Oh Ser Dontos rated a 1, not drunk enough, not fool enough etc.

I think I have become a "Book Snob". If people can't give up 15-30 minutes a day to enjoy the books, so be it. Or 10 minutes to even read the chapter synopsis in the wiki.

We've read the books, we know who the players are, what the symbols mean. I will enjoy the show and all the "visiual candy" it provides, the comparison to my imagination when I read them, whether or not there is continuity there for series-only watchers. I'm more than happy to answer questions for those I watch with who haven't read them. HBOGO also offers PLENTY of background when you watch on-line and use the interactive features. That's how I got "hooked" and decided to read the books. I wanted it ALL!

I love it when we slam actors after their first scene.

Maybe his indication from the director was different from what you were expecting to see when you read that scene? Could also be, no? I thought he was awkward, confused and totally lost, but he didn't struck me as "terrible" at his craft.

Awkward yes - awkward at playing the character.

liked it so far since i prepared my mind to some big changes from the books,

I was really disapointed by the way Craster was shown, He was so posh for a wildling. His wives were looking poor and durty but not him. The scene with Roob and the Lanister cousin of jaimie was not right at all. I was looking forward to Chataya and Alalaya but obsiously I will have to do with Ros. I did i well find the scene with Dontos week. Hope the other episodes are more .....

onna settle

Yeah, y'never know, but I don't like the way that B&W seem to favor girls who fuck them for camera time. It outrages me. Why didn't Old Nan say it smells like dragons? That would've been appropriate. It would've been right. I'm sick of them screwing with the excellent plot of this damn story!

Yeah you're right, I was gonna settle that after I realized that. My mistake.

So...

And why on EARTH did they have Dany's silver die? She has that throughout the whole five books. What PURPOSE does this serve? I doubt I'll be watching any more episodes until the season ends. Then I'll pirate them. It's not worth paying 15 bucks a month to watch this shit that B&W have corrupted and made absolutely awful. I refuse to pay for it anymore. I'm really pissed about what they've done. They said they'd be faithful to the story. They lied.

Why do you watch it at all if you don't like it? Is your time so worthless that you can spend it on watching bad things, as long as they are free, and then spend time writing immature posts about it? What's the point of that?

And if you're going to be so hostile towards the show, at least have the decency to look up the facts, like that the character that played Old Nan died last year. Some people are quick to throw demands of others but obviously demands little of themselves.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

deviations from the book don't concern me in the least, TV is a completely different medium, and ultimately they're telling a different story here.

Characters in the books often have different interpretations of how events occured. POV characters might see one thing, while later other characters explain the same event differently. That's the same concept I apply to watching the TV version versus reading the book-- its gonna come off differently no matter what. I for one will enjoy going with the flow rather than bitching about strict adherence to the source material.

The thing I DO demand of the show is high production values, including continuity, acting, set design, etc. That's where I make my judgements. I thought some of the acting, and directing was a bit rusty in this episode. Although I expect this to change very quickly, starting with next episode :grouphug:

I've read up-thread that some were not too pleased with the "Ros" character. I've always wondered if she was really, (crackpot theory) Lynesse Hightower/Mormont. I'm sure someone more versed in the history will set my mind to rest. I realize the possibility she could be recognized; but, age can and often change one's looks.

I suppose for the show she could anyone else - from the books she doesn't exist, so there isn't a back story to relate.

I've watched the episode a few times now. There is a lot that i do like & think they are doing well; but there is also a rising amount that I don't like or doesn't flow well. My wifes thoughts are that in some ways they seem to be relying on the audience having read the book to understand the plot - her example was the opening scene, who are these people, where are they and why do I care?

I give the episode a 6; this isn't a 6 compare to the rest of the crap on TV, but 6 compared to what Season 1 was able to portay.

I've watched the episode a few times now. There is a lot that i do like & think they are doing well; but there is also a rising amount that I don't like or doesn't flow well. My wifes thoughts are that in some ways they seem to be relying on the audience having read the book to understand the plot - her example was the opening scene, who are these people, where are they and why do I care?

I give the episode a 6; this isn't a 6 compare to the rest of the crap on TV, but 6 compared to what Season 1 was able to portay.

Given that all the non-readers I know understands the plot I don't think that's true. It does require some patience though since you're not going to get all information straight away.

And, out of curiosity, do you compare this episode to the entire last season or to last season's opener? On which grade do you intend the comparison to be equal (I assume that there's at least some room for improvement)? A straight, general grade is easy to understand but I have to ask about your method.

Edited by Tywin's bastard