[Book Spoilers] EP201 Discussion

Ran

Quick thoughts:

1. The episode felt like it jumped around a little too much - reminiscent of the early episodes in S1. Hopefully this is the last time I'll be saying this.

2. I definitely would have preferred Barra's death off-camera, as in the books; it felt a little too much like it was done for shock value.

3. That said, the transition from the armorer to Gendry on the Kingsroad was very nicely done, and a great way to end the episode.

4. Did anyone else find it odd that Gendry was riding the cart while all those little kids had to walk?

5. Loved Tyrion's entrance; that worked out much better than in the books.

6. Hated the Littlefinger/Cersei confrontation. Littlefinger's too smart to goad her like that. Leaving aside the books, it directly contradicts his brothel soliloquy in S1.

7. Interesting decision to have Stannis' ravengram reach Robb & Catelyn before treating with Renly. I'm neutral about this one for now - I liked the fog of war affecting their diplomacy in the book, but this has potential of its own.

8. I'm watched in a hotel room in Philadelphia, so this was the first time I've watched anything non-HD in ages. It still looked pretty good.

Was stunned by the Cersei and LF scene. Wondering if was to make LF a bit more reactionary and therefore a seed to why he actively begins to betray the Lannisters.

Loved Grey Wind. That beastie be no dog

Poor silver horse.

I had heard about Tyrion's line to Cersei about how it must feel for her to be the disappointment. Loved it.

Oh and was that Herod or HARREN?

The whole episode I was trying to figure out how they were going to end the episode in a memorable way. The bastard purge shocked even me, I didn't think they'd actually include a scene of Barra being killed.

Also, in previews for the rest of the season, Rattleshirt looked awesome in the brief moment he was shown.

@Mya Stone,

I'm pretty sure it was Cersei. Joffrey bringing it up embarrassed and shamed her, made her look weak. So she had to do something about it.

Grey Wind is huuuuuuge! And scary!

Yeah, I love it that they decided to show more of the direwolves this season! But Summer was weird... or was it the water that gave such impression?

Anyway, a nice episode to begin a season with. I loved how Joffrey is showing his true colors to dear mommy already! And I actually had to laugh when I saw what Stephen Dillane did to Stannis' mouth, that was just too perfect!

I also understand your complaints, Elio, about the LF/Cersei scene, but I kind of see where they tried to make it work - LF's always been prickly when it comes to his past and Cat. Cersei ruffled his feathers there, so he attacked back.

Not completely in character with his book persona, but not completely out of character, either. Definitely a little clunky.

What is up with Craster? Not what I expected there. And er............. that Petyr/Cersei scene was odd to say the least and what's up with killing all the bastards? Did that even happen? Possibly my fault for not having read book 2 in a couple years but I have no memory of that.

Otherwise, it was alright but a little lackluster.

Need to watch it again but:

- did not like that Ice was not included in the terms

- did not like that they didn't have Robb work over Catelyn with the "Send Umber instead" ploy that shows he is maturing as a leader and king.

- so Lightbringer gets left on the beach? kinda disappointed they didn't have all of the 7 in one bonfire - if they had shown that they were in the same pattern as the wildling bodies/Drogo's pyre that would have been one thing but this seemed haphazard

- Crasters was way too organized & clean, the focus being on Jon being pretty got a little cloying

excited it is back on, but it does have a great season 1 to follow up as well as a tough book to cover well.

My general impression was that the episode started a little slow, but by the time Robb confronted Jaime it was great. It does seem like it's jumping around a lot. I'm rereading ACoK right now and I'm 350 pages in and that episode showed two large things that haven't happened in the books yet. It was just odd. I loved the direwolves, Bran's wolf dreams were done really well. Robb is perfectly badass rebel, and seeing him yell at Catelyn showed his independent streak beginning to emerge. Theon seems much more loyal than he did in the books to Ned Stark.

Archived