[NO SPOILERS] EP201 Discussion

Ran

I actually expected they would start with the prologue from the book and then skip to the main theme, like they did with the first season, but I got nothing to complain about that.

And wolf dreams in first-person =D That was exactly how I thought they would do them (if they would do them).

What I don't understand is why they put Vaes Dothrak in the main theme. They could've easily made it The Red Waste.

Loved Grey Wind, a lot more believable at that size as something that could head in and out of battles without being killed. Hope that they have all the same effects on the other direwolves (particularly Ghost).

Good episode on the whole, it felt so short though.

Loved Grey Wind, a lot more believable at that size as something that could head in and out of battles without being killed. Hope that they have all the same effects on the other direwolves (particularly Ghost).

Good episode on the whole, it felt so short though.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Ghost. Although, I really hope they don't have him make noises like they did in season 1. That was one of the only things that really annoyed me... he's supposed to be completely silent!

I don't mean to disparage Jack Gleeson's Joffrey, I think he does a fine job, but I'm surprised at how much love everyone seems to give him. Quite frankly, it's not that difficult of a role. Joffrey is a spoiled kid in a candy shop. Not particularly complex. Where as Sansa, for instance, is a much more complex role (especially post-Baelor), and I think Sophie Turner, has done a great job.

Liam Cunningham is always how I pictured Davos, I think he did a great job with the character. Some people have said they always imagined Davos to be younger, I have always pictured him as old as he seems in the show. Davos would need to be that old, to have so many sons, especially because four of them are grown men.

Stephen Dillane is also a terrific fit for Stannis IMO, so far I think he is nailing Stannis's character.

I am very pleased with almost all of the casting, from season one, and two. I think Sophie Turner does Sansa perfectly, that's how I always see her when reading the books. Same with Maisie Williams, she does Arya so well. I also always imagined Jaime to look like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

The best casting IMO is Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, and Emilia Clarke as Daenerys, they are above perfect. I could mention just about everyone, because that's how we'll I think they did at casting. The only person I am really disappointed with is Hodor, I always imagined him to be much younger, and stronger looking.

I only have a few small(very small) complaints.

What was up with Lightbringer? It just looked like a normal sword after Stannis pulled it from the fire, and there was no ruby in the hilt?

I also did not like how there was that beef between Jon and Craster, and then with Lord Commander Mormont after that. That just didn't feel right to me.

I think they did an amazing job with Grey Wind, I was very pleased with that. I do however agree with "Drinking Cersei's Tears" about Ghost, he needs to be silent! I can only hope that Ghost looks as good as Grey Wind, I kept looking for him in the First episode, I hope he is done as well as Grey Wind.

My last minor objection, was when Grey Wind got in Jaime's face, I really liked that scene between Jaime and Robb, and I thought it was a great scene that wasn't in the books, however I feel like the Jaime Lannister in the books would not have turned away in fear when Grey Wind got in his face, the Jaime in the books would have stared Grey wind in the eyes without blinking IMO, not looked away about to piss himself. Jaime was not afraid of anything, and unlike most characters, when Jaime said he was not afraid of anything, I believed him.

What I don't understand is why they put Vaes Dothrak in the main theme. They could've easily made it The Red Waste.

I'm guessing they needed a better reference point on the map. Plus how do you animate a desert? There's no lil model to unfold ... just flat and red and dead

dammit.. I had so much to say last night and typed it all up... and then the board wouldn't let me post for like 5 hours

so I'm just gonna say: Mel saying "Do you want to stop me, stop me" to Cressen was far more badass than those words had any right to be. Seriously

Anyone else get the feeling Mel's chain collar/choker thing is a great parody of Maesters' chains? or is that just me again...

Davos - perfection so far. No complaints. Stannis still has some bits to go.. gonna need to see more of him to get a better judgement

Sansa, prince douchebag Joffrey, Tyrion - continue to be so good that I forget they're playing a part and believe its totally real

Dany having the lil shoulder-guard suddenly makes so much more sense to me. Forget any warrior-queen bits, its all about basic safety from Drogon claws :dunno:

My only major complaint (and has been since season 1) is the writers continue to stubbornly make Cersei be far more sympathetic than she has any right to be. Also more Ros & Shae... while more Shae is to be expected, whoever had the serious boner for actress playing Ros last season needs to stop getting to the scripts

My last minor objection, was when Grey Wind got in Jaime's face, I really liked that scene between Jaime and Robb, and I thought it was a great scene that wasn't in the books, however I feel like the Jaime Lannister in the books would not have turned away in fear when Grey Wind got in his face, the Jaime in the books would have stared Grey wind in the eyes without blinking IMO, not looked away about to piss himself. (snip) when Jaime said he was not afraid of anything, I believed him.

If I can defend Jaime here (can't believe I'm saying that!) as well as NCW's acting chops, I thought his reaction to Grey Wind was...masterful. As the wolf slowly padded around the cage, Jaime's head turned to follow its progress, a sort of 'crap, WTF is that?' As it stood in the doorway next to Robb, Jaime's eyes widened and focused on the wolf, and a knowing stare came across his face, as if he was recognizing, thinking: 'This, now, is my death.' He stared at Grey Wind while Robb was talking--just stared, wide-eyed, knowing death and facing death. I never saw a moment where he looked like he 'was going to piss himself.' The same when the wolf got in his face, snapping and snarling--Jaime closed his eyes and looked like he was taking a deep breath. Jaime's exhausted, he's caged and helpless, he's been dragged from camp to camp in chains, presumably for long weeks, presumably hasn't slept or eaten well. During the whole scene with Grey Wind, Jaime didn't scramble around or cringe or beg or lose control--he faced and stared at what he thought was to be his death, and at the last moment, he closed his eyes, like: 'Do it then, get it over with. Be done.' I thought it was masterful.

If I can defend Jaime here (can't believe I'm saying that!) as well as NCW's acting chops, I thought his reaction to Grey Wind was...masterful. As the wolf slowly padded around the cage, Jaime's head turned to follow its progress, a sort of 'crap, WTF is that?' As it stood in the doorway next to Robb, Jaime's eyes widened and focused on the wolf, and a knowing stare came across his face, as if he was recognizing, thinking: 'This, now, is my death.' He stared at Grey Wind while Robb was talking--just stared, wide-eyed, knowing death and facing death. I never saw a moment where he looked like he 'was going to piss himself.' The same when the wolf got in his face, snapping and snarling--Jaime closed his eyes and looked like he was taking a deep breath. Jaime's exhausted, he's caged and helpless, he's been dragged from camp to camp in chains, presumably for long weeks, presumably hasn't slept or eaten well. During the whole scene with Grey Wind, Jaime didn't scramble around or cringe or beg or lose control--he faced and stared at what he thought was to be his death, and at the last moment, he closed his eyes, like: 'Do it then, get it over with. Be done.' I thought it was masterful.

I went back and watched that scene(the whole episode actually) with your post in mind, and I completely agree with you. I just took Jaime looking away as a sign of fear, but I believe your right and it wasn't, he was super calm and collected, and it was very well done.

...a little too King Herod for me.

Gods, yes. I was starting to wonder if they're gonna run to Egypt afterwards.

The only part of the episode I didn't like.

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey for a child actor is incredible, massive props to him.

QFT.

I only have a few small(very small) complaints.

What was up with Lightbringer? It just looked like a normal sword after Stannis pulled it from the fire, and there was no ruby in the hilt?

I was puzzled too, for an episode where the CGI people know the VFX out of the ball park... that sword looked like it belonged in a 1948 FX scene!

From George's description I expected something more ethereal. Don't want to see a computer game hype, but something more subtle would have been nice.

The opening with the Hound, for me, was brilliant! And then of course, Tyrion crashing the party, with Bronn and his one-liners not far behind!

The scene with Robb, Jaime and Grey Wind was also well done, I'm looking forward to seeing the likes of Shaggy Dog, Summer, and especially Ghost with the CGI that seems to have been implemented ino the show

I enjoyed Tyrion's entrance as well. Two interesting notes. Bronn looks and acts like my friend Charles and Davos bears an uncanny resemblence to me! Lol.

I loved the way Tyrion walked up to Joffrey and basically pushed him around. Joffrey fears the little man me thinks. As Tyrion walked away Joffrey was asking why are you here? Tyrion ignored him. Perfect!

After watching the episode again I took more notice of another great scene, and that's "Lord" Bran receiving petitioners. Isaac has rightfully been praised for his portrayal of Bran before, but what really struck me was the great chemistry between Bran and Maester Luwin. Maybe I didn't pick up on it that much in the books, but in the series Maester Luwin seems more than just an advisor and tutor to Bran, but a kind of father or rather grandfather figure. You could already see some of that in the first season when Bran got his geography or heraldry lesson from Luwin (don't know what else to call it), but the relationship seems to have developed since then from "tutor and (stubborn) pupil" to something like "grandfather/grandson". Of course that shouldn't be too surprising, with the whole family (apart from Rickon) gone from Winterfell.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, but two things bothered me:

1. Joffrey's gift of wine to the contestant seemed like he was playing with him (ie. allow him to become drunk and quickly fall in battle). I was surprised when his benign order resulted into forced consumption.

Is it understood by all that any order Joffrey gives should be carried out in te most vile and violent manner?

2. Littlefinger's power play with Cersi. As crafty and duplicitous as he is why would he reveal his knowledge of her sins? He had little to gain if anything and he knows how ruthless she is.

It was a serious wtf moment for me. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Why try and antagonize the evil manipulative mother of the petulantly sociopathic boy king?

While I've got you hear, King of the Boards, I keep trying to get help, but nobody's answered any of my emails, so let me ask you: Whenever I try to view anyone's profile, including my own, it keeps saying "You are not permitted to view member profiles."

How come, why not, and how do I change this?

I know the mods are all really busy, so I hope you don't mind if I step in. Hi. :) For your first question:

Also, I see people have different ranks (Commoner, Hedge Knight, etc), how do these change?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules (Search for "posting levels".)

Archived