[NO SPOILERS] EP201 Discussion

Ran

1. Joffrey's gift of wine to the contestant seemed like he was playing with him (ie. allow him to become drunk and quickly fall in battle). I was surprised when his benign order resulted into forced consumption.

Is it understood by all that any order Joffrey gives should be carried out in te most vile and violent manner?

Yeah I agree with this. I assumed Joffrey was allowing him to get so plastered he got butchered and humiliated in the fight, not sure if that's what Joffrey had in mind or not.

I only have a few small(very small) complaints.

What was up with Lightbringer? It just looked like a normal sword after Stannis pulled it from the fire, and there was no ruby in the hilt?

Lightbringer in CoK is exactly how it was. Stannis leaves it, Davos pulls it out of the ground after and it is ruined by the flames and oil. I think Davos thinks to himself about how it was more a show of power and Stannis's actions (leaving the sword) shows he's just going through the motions and not actually buying into this red god melarky hook, line and sinker.

The stuff about Lightbringer and the melee is explained much better in the book. I will explain it better in a spoiler tag below, in case there are some who don't want the better explanation:

Spoiler
The melee scene was poorly acted. Dontos was supposed to be taking it seriously but stumbles in all drunk and not apologetic enough for Joffery's liking. Joffrey was supposed to be deeply offended at such an insult on his Name Day. Joffrey didn't act it well enough to convince us, the audience, that "see he gets his fill" meant to force him to drink the keg of wine till he burst.

The Lightbringer issue is that in the book there is speculation that it is not the real Lightbringer and therefor speculation that Melisandre is not being completely honest with Stannis about her intentions. The sword they called Lightbringer had to be artificially inflamed, whereas the real LB is supposed to burn of its own accord. Melisandre is supposed to have some kind of supernatural hold over Stannis, almost like she has him under a spell.

Archived