[Book Spoilers] Jamie in GoT 2

the maester

What do you think we will see from Jamie in the 2nd series of GoT TV show?

He spent most of aCoK locked in a cell at Riverrun, this won't make very interesting TV. But he is too big a character to leave out of the story.

My hope is that they use this as an opportunity to flash back to the events surrounding Jamie infamous Kingslaying

a flashback would be nice but i have the feeling it will turn out to be just more Robb and later Catelyn puffing their chests out at him feeling superior. And the escape attempt yes. My personal favorite scene in CoK was Jaime's talk with Catelyn about Aerys and "honor". Hope some form of it remains. End season Jaime and Brienne leaving with Alton Lannister in tow.

i thought i read somewhere that the producers said that something "readers will surprised by" will happen to jaime this season, and that they didn't want to keep him sidelined, which has me concerned that they're going to be messing with too much story. especially since they already used quite a bit of dialog from Cat and Jaime's dialog at the end of aCoK in season 1, it makes me think that scene will not happen on the show, which in my opinion, would be pretty tragic.

I think that this season will be focus on robb, joffrey,etc. But something MUST happen with jamie, I mean, he is a very important character. He can't be doing nothing the whole season.

Don't worry, something will happen with Jamie. The actor has stated in an interview that episode 7 of this season has his favorite scene he has done in the show so far, so clearly something will happen.

It is also possible that they accelerate his plotline to have have him lose his hand as a cliffhanger in episode 10. We know he has shot some scenes with the actress playing Brienne.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing his failed escape attempt, and also the very beginnings of his journey with Brienne (like the season will end with them sailing away in the boat).

I agree. They want more action in the TV show, as we saw with the "off-page" adaptation of the bastard massacre in episode one. The escape attempt was similarly "off-page" but it would make for some good, tense TV.

The actor has stated in an interview that episode 7 of this season has his favorite scene he has done in the show so far, so clearly something will happen.

.. in his whole career, actually :)

I could see this being a possibility

I hope not. The "Tale of the Lion and the Wench" (as I have taken to call it) is one of my favourite bits of the books. The whole business with Ser Cleos and the bandits, Brienne on the river with the sinking of the Riverrun boat. They can't rush all that into this season surely?

My guess is that episode 7 will include an action packed escape attempt.

Yeah, his would-be escape being on-screen is much more likely.

Consider this: from what we've seen, he's tied up pretty casually in the first episode. It's the same cell as the one in the trailers, but one of them (Seven Devils, I think) shows him jerked upwards, freshly bloodied, and chained up almost head-to-toe. What could he have done to warrant that?

Could be wrong, but it seems like apt punishment for a failed escape attempt.

Showing his escape makes sense also to show him killing some important Stark bannermen. When Cat frees him, it has to be made obvious that it is a move that has a significant negative impact, and that it leads to some of his bannermen to question him if not abandon him. I'm hoping that they keep the Karstark sidestory in, but to do that they need to make it clearer that Jaime kills some important members of the Karstark household for which they want revenge, and an escape attempt would be a good chance to show that.

On a complete sidenote, I wonder given the Yara change to avoid confusion with Asha/Osha, if D&D would go ahead and rename the Karstarks to something different to avoid confusion with the Starks (assuming they keep them in the show at all).

Showing his escape makes sense also to show him killing some important Stark bannermen. When Cat frees him, it has to be made obvious that it is a move that has a significant negative impact, and that it leads to some of his bannermen to question him if not abandon him. I'm hoping that they keep the Karstark sidestory in, but to do that they need to make it clearer that Jaime kills some important members of the Karstark household for which they want revenge, and an escape attempt would be a good chance to show that.

On a complete sidenote, I wonder given the Yara change to avoid confusion with Asha/Osha, if D&D would go ahead and rename the Karstarks to something different to avoid confusion with the Starks (assuming they keep them in the show at all).

Nope . When they announce the actors cast like Karstark for example they show the name they are gonna have in the series as well . For the actress who plays Asha they announced her casting with the name change Yara ,same with Oona Chaplin who plays Jeyne .

I think they might change the plotline and have Robb or one of his bannermen maim him in this season. Perhaps Rickard Karstark--which leads to the beheading (since there are no young Lannisters boys to kill). That way, they can eliminate Vargo & co altogether, and reducing the number of characters is an unfortunate reality in a tv series. At the same time, they can show Robb dispense justice. It might also justify Catelyn letting him go.

I think they might change the plotline and have Robb or one of his bannermen maim him in this season. Perhaps Rickard Karstark--which leads to the beheading (since there are no young Lannisters boys to kill). That way, they can eliminate Vargo & co altogether, and reducing the number of characters is an unfortunate reality in a tv series. At the same time, they can show Robb dispense justice. It might also justify Catelyn letting him go.

Wow, with a few tweaks...that actually makes sense. And I would absolutely hate it. I'd rather wait until next season and have them do it properly.

I too would hate that, because it would mean we'd would lose the rescue from Vargo's bearpit. That whole part where Jaime dreams of her, and then goes back, is such a critical point in their changing relationship, that you'd hope most of this would be kept. Especially the "Oh good - I only rescue maidens" line!

Archived