Why does Varys not help Ned escape but ....

diregator

... helps Tyrion escape?

For those who have finished ASoS.

I was rewatching the TV show and I was at the part where Varys comes down in to the cell of Ned Stark after he "committed treason" and it dawned on me that this is where Tyrion was being held as well after the Joffery and Margery wedding incident. Varys helps Tyrion escape and pretty easily by the way it looks with all the secret tunnels. Why did Varys not to the same for Ned? Of course he "serves the realm" and maybe just wanted things to play out naturally, but why was it worth maybe getting caught for Tyrion but not Ned? Hopefully this doesn't need any explaining further than AFfC as I'm currently in the middle of that book. So if there is an answer in later books, then please don't spoil.

The earlier reply assumes Varys does things out of the kindness of his heart.

... *ahem*...

It served Varys's purpose better if Ned was publically beheaded, then if he simply vanished. Then the Starks and the whole north went to war.

On the other hand, it served Varys's purpose better if Tyrion simply vanished, with vague hints that may point toward the Tyrells, because then Cercei go paranoid, suspect the Tyrells and would refuse to ally with them under any circumstances. Plus then Tyrion had no choice but to go to exile, where Varys sent him.

The earlier reply assumes Varys does things out of the kindness of his heart.

... *ahem*...

It served Varys's purpose better if Ned was publically beheaded, then if he simply vanished. Then the Starks and the whole north went to war.

On the other hand, it served Varys's purpose better if Tyrion simply vanished, with vague hints that may point toward the Tyrells, because then Cercei go paranoid, suspect the Tyrells and would refuse to ally with them under any circumstances. Plus then Tyrion had no choice but to go to exile, where Varys sent him.

I'm not so sure Varys knew that Ned was going to be beheaded though. He probably figured Ned wouldn't confess so I guess that could lead him into thinking that. Everyone was caught by surprise that Joffery wanted Ned's head.

The title of this thread is a pretty big spoiler, you may want to think about changing it. I'd have been pissed if I wasn't done with the book, came to check the forum and that told me what happens...

That being said, I think Varys assumed Ned would be sent to the wall, and in Tyrions case I think he had a plan for him on the run.

Varys goes to Ned before his death in the dungeons of King's Landing. He advises Ned to accept Joff as the true King and that doing this his life will be spared and he will go to the Wall. Ned takes his advice in order that no harm will come to Sansa. Ned does this, but Joffrey is a F****** Cunt.

What the Reaver said. Ned was supposed to go to the Wall and that would bring the war to an end between the Lannisters and Starks. Joff being the complete idiot he is, had him beheaded. And he did it on the Baelor, which is like sacreligious, Varys never imagined this would be the outcome.

He only freed the imp because Jaime would have killed him otherwise.

Archived