[Book Spoilers] The Silver

Yeah, I've heard some rumors that Doreah lives and another handmaid dies instead. Doreah sure looks like she's about to drop dead though. Damn. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Maybe she'll play around with Dany sexually instead of Irri.

Why on earth did they make Silver die? I wonder if they are replacing Silver's death for Doreah? She is a cute handmaid, and did teach Dany how to please Drogo..I guess more appealing for TV?

But I am quite sad about that...I feel that Silver is much cooler!

I know horses are hard to work with, but surely they have not exhausted that budget , yet.

This seemed kind of unnecessary , I mean the horse does not play a major role.... but

makes some future scenes appear a little odd in visual composition , unless they are planning a replacement.

I was sad to see Dany's Silver die because she rides her into Qaarth and among her "children," and I do not see why it was necessary. I'm sure Dany could ride another horse at any time, and it is probably only those who have read the books that feel Dany's Silver is important. Her death did lead to some great dialogue with Dany and Ser Jorah.

I'm not sure about Doreah, but she didn't look well. Dany didn't look well either.

Also, after her exchange with Rakkaro, I was wondering if he could take the place of her handmaiden scene or even Daario. There definitely seemed to be something there, and I like the guy who plays him. I honestly wouldn't mind if they went there because I would prefer him and Dany having a thing over her and Daario.

I was choked to see Silver die but it is not a big deal. I really did not fell a thing between Dany and Rakkaro, just only blood of my blood thingy and iI really like it. I do hope we will get a Darrio because I need to hate him, a Dany/Rakkaro love will not do that and it will be like a betrayal to drogo IMO.

Yeah, for me the Rakkaro and Dany interchange was one of deep friendship and trust. Rather than being romantic, the way I perceived it was that they are extremely close in the blood of my blood way, not even really even needing to speak to convey how much they have been through together. On top of that, Rakkaro has saved Dany on more than one occasion - when Viserys was threatening her and when she was almost poisoned. He's always been there for her. I felt like the whole scene, including the part with Jorah, was to show how much she trusts and loves the two most loyal men in her life.

As for the Silver, it was a bummer, but her death did succinctly indicate just how difficult their journey across the Red Waste was, as well as being a tear-in-m-eye Drogo moment.

Just realized something... HBO had to cancel the 2nd season of the series Luck (about horse racing) because the horses kept dying during filming. Maybe the lack of horses all around is related to this. Extremely hard animals to work with in an quantity, and animal right issues, etc...

They're cutting down a LOT of information from book two and even bringing over scenes from book 3 this season, so I'm pretty sure there are some scenes that won't happen such as Dany riding Silver amongst the people of Qarth. I think Dany's whole long journey from city to city is going to be condensed quite a bit. While she was one of my favorites in the books and is in the show, her 'journey' and all the slaver stuff got really stale towards the end of the last book for me. I will be happy for some brevity on that story arc.

Having Silver die was a dramatic scene made special for television to pull heart strings and to show how dire her situation is to viewers. Almost all of the horses die by the end of their trudge across the lands by the time they've reached Mereen if I remember correctly.

Just realized something... HBO had to cancel the 2nd season of the series Luck (about horse racing) because the horses kept dying during filming. Maybe the lack of horses all around is related to this. Extremely hard animals to work with in an quantity, and animal right issues, etc...

Yeah but those are thoroughbreds they have a vulnerability that quarter horses and Arabian don't have.

I don't know enough about what kind of horse they use in film , say, I am guessing they use very robust breeds.

There must be also strict protocols for film horse, not sure where to look it up.

I reckon Silver's gonna be fed to the dragons. IIRC, Dany's first scene showed her trying to get one of the little critters to eat.

There's a scene in the book where she's having trouble getting the dragons to eat, until they realise the meat has to be cooked first.

I wonder if we'll see this next week...

I actually liked this scene because it was the last thing she had left from Drogo, well, besides the stragglers of his former Khalasar.

I also don't mind the little moment between Dany and Jakharo. I think the actor who plays him is exceptional and I'm sure the producers noticed this and want to expand his role a bit.

Why on earth did they make Silver die? I wonder if they are replacing Silver's death for Doreah? She is a cute handmaid, and did teach Dany how to please Drogo..I guess more appealing for TV?

But I am quite sad about that...I feel that Silver is much cooler!

This was my initial thought. There's a good possibility that Doreah will die in the next episode, in conformity with the book, but considering how condensed the episode was in comparison to the first few chapters of A Clash of Kings, I would lean towards the idea that they changed Doreah's death for Silver's.

Personally, I don't mind that. I thought the relationship between Dany and Doreah was warmer than her relationships with Irri and Jhiqui and feel as a character she would have more to give. I'm willing to bet that if Doreah does live in the series, Dany's 'stress relief' will involve her instead of her other handmaids. There was lesbian tension in the first series between them, after all.

I'm more concerned about the possible implementations on the character of Missandei. In the books, Doreah and Missandei took similar places alongside Dany. Granted, one was a sexual teacher and one was an innocent scribe, but in terms of Dany's emotions they were somewhat on a level.

It makes me wonder whether Missandei will make an appearance in the tv show if Doreah lives.

I reckon Silver's gonna be fed to the dragons. IIRC, Dany's first scene showed her trying to get one of the little critters to eat.

There's a scene in the book where she's having trouble getting the dragons to eat, until they realise the meat has to be cooked first.

I wonder if we'll see this next week...

I am not going to go searching back through the books, but part about Dany trying to feed the dragons raw meat was in the novels. Then mysteriously she remembers they like meat flambeed. I may misremember but seems it was not her brother who told her that , but someone else, I think, a curious thing.

I don't know how she keep them alive till she remembered, she nursed them?

From Dany's first chaper in ACoK:

Such little things, she thought as she fed them by hand. or rather, tried to feed them, for the dragons would not eat. They would hiss and spit at each bloody morsel of horsemeat, steam rising from their nostrils, yet they would not take the food… until Dany recalled something Viserys had told her when they were children. Only dragons and men eat cooked meat, he had said. When she had her handmaids char the horsemeat black, the dragons ripped at it eagerly, their heads striking like snakes. So long as the meat was seared, they gulped down several times their own weight every day, and at last began to grow larger and stronger.

From Dany's first chaper in ACoK:

Such little things, she thought as she fed them by hand. or rather, tried to feed them, for the dragons would not eat. They would hiss and spit at each bloody morsel of horsemeat, steam rising from their nostrils, yet they would not take the food… until Dany recalled something Viserys had told her when they were children. Only dragons and men eat cooked meat, he had said. When she had her handmaids char the horsemeat black, the dragons ripped at it eagerly, their heads striking like snakes. So long as the meat was seared, they gulped down several times their own weight every day, and at last began to grow larger and stronger.

Ah ha! So my memory did not serve. Well I wonder what they are going to do on the show have Dany say, "Wait a min., Viserys did tell me." ?

Now I guess Viserys could have learned that from his father.

Or somebody on Braavos?

Archived