[No Spoilers] The red comet?

Dementia

There have been some close approaches of comets to Earth in recent history, but it's been since 1770 that one was in sky so close it was clearly discernible as a comet to the naked eye.

Now comets come in all flavors of appearance, the one of the show looked like some in the real ones in the photo catalogs... except for being red. Comets can have shades of red in them.

Still hey, what is quasi-fantasy for but to push the envelope!

And this is a dragon symbol.

Comet looked fine.

Hale Bop in 1997 was visible by the naked eye and I believe Halleys comet is even brighter, don't remember seeing that one myself though I think it was last visible in the early 80s sometime...

Hale Bop in 1997 was visible by the naked eye and I believe Halleys comet is even brighter, don't remember seeing that one myself though I think it was last visible in the early 80s sometime...

Comet Halley was quite bright in 1910, but in 1986 it passed far enough from the earth that it was only bright in telescopes.

Daytime comets are rare, tho we had one this year Comet McNaught in January.

Having a really close daytime comet where one can see the tail is also quite rare, but comet IKEYA-SEKI in 1965 was one of those.

The one in the show would correspond to something like the great comet of 1882 which may have been the brightest comet seen in historical times.

Anyway the red comet in SoIaF is kind of cypher, and a neat idea on George's part.

Watching the episode for a third time last night I thought it was a beautiful image, after using it in the start it gets forgotten.

Someone said it appeared in the last scene, I did not see it.

Thought that scene on the road* should have paned up to the comet for a close that would have been perfect!

*Still far south Arya's 'crow train' seemed to be on some other smaller road than the King's Road.

Beautiful image.

Let me point out that at no point did I actually "complain". I ASKED if anyone else found it "ridiculous" and "obviously fake". It didn't work for me...it didn't feel like part of the sky. I mention it, because everything seemed so well done but shots of the comet seemed jarring to me. Maybe it was because it was during the day? I know that's how Martin wrote it...but it just seemed weird.

No...I don't think it should race across the sky. :rolleyes:

I thought the comet was great! Really don't see how it could have been better?

Drogon was amazing. Cheesy dragons would ruin the gritty, almost realistic feel of this fantasy, but they aced it. And Grey Wind was INCREDIBLE! Can't wait to see more Ghost.

• 2 weeks later...

Hale-Bobb was the brightest naked eye comet I have ever seen.

Still it's closest approach was still more than 1 AU away.

In a telescope impressive tail, but have to have super eyes to see that from the ground.

Don't think there was a really close comet last century , closer than 10 lunar distances.

It was really hard to see that tail.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Comet-Hale-Bopp-29-03-1997_hires_adj.jpg

There was one called Hyakutake that came out after Hale-Bopp that was very visible in the night sky here in the city. I'd say the chance is that this is the most visable I will see in my lifetime.

The one in this story is so close that you can see it in the day....something we may ver experience but i'd say it is plausable. There is no modern proof of it but I do recall hints of this from ancient sources and art to reference. You can see the moon in the day so the comet need only be that bright.

I am all over trying to figure out the science behind this world from either the circumavigation calculations and explanations or wobbly axis that could produce these goofy uneven seasons. Surely, this is for no good reason.......but the comet does not bother me in the least

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived