The Women of Game of Thrones

From http://deflectordish.com/

In Game of Thrones there are characters who are mostly good, mostly bad, neither, and both. This is nice because people are not all good or all bad. We may hate a character in the first book who we see through the eyes of others and then maybe hate them less (or maybe love them) later on as we learn of their motivations. George R. R. Martin did not create characters to be liked. Everyone in the book is involved in the “game of thrones” in some way be it as player or victim. Character motivations and actions in this game is how we determine who is good, who is bad, who is strong, and who is not.

For contemporary readers, it is important for some reason that female characters accurately represent women and show them in as positive a light as the males. Sansa, Catelyn, and Cersei, are hated, by most, throughout the books and receive flack for being weak female roles. Well, call me anti-feminist, but there are weak females in the world just as there are weak people. The motivations of these three women are not wrong necessarily, simply not strong and just and honorable which are the characteristics we use to defend their male counterparts. Those three do nothing ever for the greater good. The most likable characters in the book, be them male or female, make decisions outside of themselves: for the little guys, for the realm, for the north, for the children.

Almost every character in the book is selfish at some point and considers their own desires over the greater good. That is an important trait for participating, and surviving, the game of thrones. However, the three in question rarely steer themselves outside of this thinking and are willing to sacrifice lives for their desires.

For the defense of Sansa, Catelyn, and Cersei that prompted this post, please gohere. I had a hard time not yelling at my computer during these videos.

Sansa: the girl’s girl. Sansa is a character who through her descriptions, feelings, and actions demonstrates her priorities as being material and fantastical. I understand the desire to want more from her because it is just that hard to get through her chapters, but we don’t get that. She cares about dresses and needlework and the handsomeness and romance of her future husband and king. If there were that much more to her character, she would discuss things outside of her own bummed-out-of-love-with-Joffrey feelings and pretty dresses post Eddard decapitation. If you are feeling sorry for Sansa considering what a tough pickle she was in, just… don’t. She chose the idea of romance and the idea of queen and the idea of love over honor, duty, and family. And yes, Sansa’s overtly feminine upbringing was not her choosing, but her sister experienced the same upbringing and made different choices. Stupidity is not a defense I can stand by. And George, thank you for giving us a character that accurately represents a large portion of chicks in the world. Some women are Sansas.

Catelyn: the mom’s mom. All of Catelyn’s motivations are super understandable if you are woman or a wife or a mom. Understandable – yes. Right – er, no. Every decision Catelyn makes is in reaction to something involving her family. Does she have all the facts? Does she consider the consequences? Does she think about any one else’s kids? No. When your decisions determine the life and death of hundreds and thousands of people you are responsible for making smart choices. But of course your kids are more important than everyone else’s, of course. You are a mom, so, that makes it okay. NOT.

Cersei: a bit of both. She has all the vanity and materialistic desire of Sansa, (without the naivety), and all the motherly concerns of Catelyn, (without being at all sympathetic). Cersei is a strong and interesting character who uses her feminine wiles to gain power and to try desperately to keep it. Cersei is a powerful woman and for that we should be proud of her. Oh wait, she used her body as a means to secure that power and not her mind. Her sexuality is the only sword she believes she is allowed to use.The difference between the power men earn with swords and the power women earn with sex, is that power bought with the body is short term and is ultimately counter productive and results in a net loss of respect. Ladies, never take short cuts. She had several opportunities for turning points when she suffered losses, however, then she just channeled Catelyn and switched to a overprotective MILF, that again, causes more problems for all.

Daenerys has a little bit of each of these women in her. The difference between her and them though, is that in her hunt for power, she faces and contemplates the cost both to herself and to her people. Not much older than Sansa at the start, she knows the stories and wishes for love and romance and knows ultimately that she cannot have both the sweet end and do right by her people. She learns from what happens to her in the first book. She learns. She is smart. She surrounds herself with experts of varying opinions and agendas in order to make informed decisions. Before deciding to go to war or deciding to sail for Westeros or deciding to do anything, she thinks about how her decisions will impact the people who follow her. Of the choices so far, Daenerys embodies the characteristics of a well-rounded person, and woman, and is worthy of the throne. She is a young sweet girl, a mother, and a beautiful blondie. In spite of and in celebration of those things, she is a leader and woman and is not simple enough to sum up in a paragraph.

Arya does not quite fit into this discussion yet. Where feminism is concerned, she is a fine character considering her scrappiness and willingness to fight, survive, and hold up justice. However, her journey in the series takes her out of the game somewhat and, like Bran, it will be interesting to learn how she re-enters. We will reevaluate at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

While I agree with you on the part about Daenerys, there are certain things about the other characters that i would like to add to.

Caitlyn is, in my opinion, a very strong female character. She is indeed guided by her motherly instincts and lust for revenge on those who murdered her husband, captured her girls and almost killed Bran, but there is also a hidden part to her. While she is trying to do her best for her children she has proved great diplomatic abilities. She did after all get her son through the Twins and she was sent by Robb to negociate with Renly. while you consider the fact that she is protecting her children without taking into consideration the "feelings" of others, keep in mind that any mother will always think of her children and when protecting them she will never care if she hurts others.

Sansa does deserve her faith. She forgot the Tully family motto because running after a pretty king wannabe was more important to her than family and honor. But somehow I believe that she is a little more complex than she first appears to be. Maybe in time she will turn out to be more deeper that at first sight.

Cersei...well......she is more than just a body. She rules as she thinks is fit. Taking into consideration that she did not have a mother tio teach her it is understood that she will rely on her body than on her mind. The only council she has is her father and her brother. This has a negative impact on her seeing as her Father is cruel and uncarring and her brother, Jamie, has only his best interest in mind and power.

As for Arya, she is one of the most complex female characters. I think she will surprise us somewhere along the way as she has proven great power, judge of character and intelligence.

Archived