[Book Spoilers] Ep 201 Discussion Part 2

The forum admins are not happy about any talk about episode 2 until Sunday. And why the heck are you writing about episode 2 in an episode 1 sub-forum? Show some common sense.

Edited by Hyper

The forum admins are not happy about any talk about episode 2 until Sunday. And why the heck are you writing about episode 2 in an episode 1 sub-forum? Show some common sense.

Even though the name of the thread is Ep 201 Discusion part 2, most of the talk is about dire wolves... and so was my post! But, yeah, you'r right i shouldn't be writing about unaired episode so i 'deleted' my post

I just watched Thronecast for Ep1. And part of the monologue reminded me of what I thought was one of the stupidist bits of dialogue in the show: when Shae says the city smells of cum. Especially funny that he sprayed deodorant around his crotch after runing through Shae's list of smells. Reminded me that there's some dumb dialogue in this series, and without too many exceptions the best dialogue is the stuff pulled straight from the books. After all other than cum the list of odours Shae lists would have been totally fitting, and still would have been enough to make her horny. Adding cum just made it corny.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

I just watched Thronecast for Ep1. And part of the monologue reminded me of what I thought was one of the stupidist bits of dialogue in the show: when Shae says the city smells of cum. Especially funny that he sprayed deodorant around his crotch after runing through Shae's list of smells. Reminded me that there's some dumb dialogue in this series, and without too many exceptions the best dialogue is the stuff pulled straight from the books. After all other than cum the list of odours Shae lists would have been totally fitting, and still would have been enough to make her horny. Adding cum just made it corny.

I forgot about that line, that did annoy me. I don't really like show-Shae, she doesn't really have the Tysha 2.0 feel that I got from book-Shae. At the moment I can't see the court scene next season being that heartbreaking. She needs to be less "cum" and more "giant of Lannister".

I think the scene accomplished quite a lot, actually. It shows that Bran is still in Winterfell, that his family is gone, that he wants to do/be something/somewhere else, that many men have left the north due to the war, that the war is not only affecting the south, it reminds us of Stark's position as liege lord, and it serves as a segue to the wolf stuff, which in turn is nicely followed by the scene with Osha, Hodor and Bran.

I think it also shows a nice contrast to Joffrey....Bran is thoughtful, even as a child, while Joffrey is petulant and sinister. I definitely miss the Reed's already. Their speech to Bran, declaring their loyalty, was one of the most moving dialogues in the book.

Lol! I thought she was saying "cumin", an herb which is also used for cooking and has a distinct odor. At first I thought I heard "cum" but I figured her accent just made it sound like that. She goes on about some other cooking aromas, so I came to the conclusion that I misheard because its a totally ridiculous thing to say. I could be wrong, though.

If that's the case, what a horrible line. :rofl:

Why did they make the Direwolves so huge compare to serie 1? Is it because the fans complained? because really it is not like years have passed between the end of season 1 and the begining of season 2. Drogon is still small but suddenlly the wolves have doubled in size. I am not complaining about their size, just wondering.

Why would one of the sand snakes be white? Seems like a stretch to make that fit together.

Tyene Sand would like to have a word with you.*

Well, probably more than that, depending on how one defines white and how the younger girls appear. Oberyn and Ellaria can both be read as pretty darn white, so I'm guessing that their children might, too.

* It's possible for none of the ten (Oberyn, Ellaria, 8 Sand Snakes) to actually be white, but it's not out of the realms of possibility, either.

The Direwolves were big because two of them (including the runt) are actively involved in combat now. It would look kind of silly to have a 50 lb puppy being the thing tearing apart armored war horses. Martin plays very fast and loose with time frames and it seems the show will as well. I am ok with this as story telling supersedes reality. If you really want to see this, ask what the heck Arya and Team Night's Watch has been doing in all this time which passed. They've gotten like a day's journey away from King's Landing at this point.

@Jetboygirl - Thanks! Sometimes I get so bogged down in reading page after page that by the time I get to the end, I have no idea what I think or want to say.

@Ran - Thanks for the info on the direwolves. I'm like 'Ghost the Direwolf' (Reply #10 above), I was so excited to see Grey Wind way up past Robb's waist. I WANT them to strike raw, naked fear into everyone who opposes the Starks! But, I also think I'd read somewhere over the summer that they were to be digital, so I didn't realize they were real - well, nearly real. I loved them.

The one 'complaint' I did have about the first show, Season 2, (that I forgot to mention when I'd posted earlier this week), is that "The night is dark and full of terrors" never really bothered me that much while I was flying through all of the books just to see what happened next. But being on the forum threads has made me aware of just how often Mel did say it, and when I was watching this first episode, I thought I'd go mad hearing Mel say it over and over and over, just driving it in the ground. I also thought that, perhaps in an HBO effort to make her super-sexy, she just looked sort of ridiculous and over the top - half expected her to start batting her eyelashes dramatically any minute. But then, I'm definitely not a fan of Mel anyway, so perhaps that's tainted my assessment of her in this first episode.

That said, I must confess that I watched the first showing at 9, the next at 10, and the next at 11. The rest of it was just SO super!

Edited by House of White and White

If I can recall correctly, Cersei only had two of Robert's kids killed in King's Landing. One was the baby from the whorehouse (her mother included) and another child I can't really remember. Am I remembering wrong? Robert was supposed to only have 16 kids in the book. Seems like half of them died in the show (others were probably just rumored to be his. Completely innocent. Sad!) The show can change how many he had, sure, but I just want to be sure I have what happened in the books right...

Edited by RoamingRonin

The one 'complaint' I did have about the first show, Season 2, (that I forgot to mention when I'd posted earlier this week), is that "The night is dark and full of terrors" never really bothered me that much while I was flying through all of the books just to see what happened next. But being on the forum threads has made me aware of just how often Mel did say it, and when I was watching this first episode, I thought I'd go mad hearing Mel say it over and over and over, just driving it in the ground.

Don't worry about it. After all, words are wind... :P

Lol! I thought she was saying "cumin", an herb which is also used for cooking and has a distinct odor. At first I thought I heard "cum" but I figured her accent just made it sound like that. She goes on about some other cooking aromas, so I came to the conclusion that I misheard because its a totally ridiculous thing to say. I could be wrong, though.

If that's the case, what a horrible line. :rofl:

I died laughing at "cumin" mishear. =P

OT: I don't know why everyone is upset by the script here. The chemistry between the actors seemed slightly awkward, and it's a slight alteration from her character in the books, but it's perfectly understandable that Tyrion would be enchanted by someone who was more brash, blunt and foul-mouthed than bookShae. He, himself, calls Jon 'Bastard' despite the fact that he likes Jon. He's bluntly self-deprecating in portraying himself as the same as a bastard. In fact, he seems to hate euphemisms, so if Shae is any good at her trade she would have some idea how to make Tyrion like her.

I look TV Shae way more than book Shae (who I find a boring waste of catch phrases). The smell of cum line seemed an "HBO!" moment. They seem compelled to show off their differences from the cable networks which are now producing the top quality dramas that used to be HBO's selling point.

On the upside, Game of Thrones's lifespan may well be extended by these attacks on HBO's territory of serious, top quality dramas. No cable network could do Game if Thrones.

Tyene Sand would like to have a word with you.*

Well, probably more than that, depending on how one defines white and how the younger girls appear. Oberyn and Ellaria can both be read as pretty darn white, so I'm guessing that their children might, too.

* It's possible for none of the ten (Oberyn, Ellaria, 8 Sand Snakes) to actually be white, but it's not out of the realms of possibility, either.

In AFFC, I'm pretty GRRM describes Lady Nym having skin as white as milk. I don't remember who her mother was, though.

@RoamingRonin: I believe Cersei is uncertain about the identities of the bastards and decided to kill anyone who might be a bastard from Robert. Of course, most of those aren't even in King's Landing, but she is trying her best anyway.

I don't think she will attempt to kill Edric Storm, but I am not sure Edric even exists in the tv continuity...

Some people think it is Joffrey. I don't understand why. For one thing, Joffrey lacks the information about where to find the bastards. For another, it would require a bit of research and planning that goes against the grain of his whining ways.