[Book Spoilers] Wolf Dream

Isn't that how warging works? I assumed they did it while they where asleep and took control of them in their dreams...

Warging does happen conciously, but so far for the stark kids it hasn't been very conscious. There's arya warging into a cat when the Kindly old man is hitting her, however she doesn't really realize she's warging I think, even though she does actively warg there. There's also a sequence where Jon wargs into Ghost very briefly when he touches him also, there's varamyr who wargs very consciously.

But warging in a dream seems to give the warg less control over the animal, the warg just sees, feels and experiences the things the animal does. Which is probably why they are so confused about the whole warging thing.

Warging does happen conciously, but so far for the stark kids it hasn't been very conscious. There's arya warging into a cat when the Kindly old man is hitting her, however she doesn't really realize she's warging I think, even though she does actively warg there. There's also a sequence where Jon wargs into Ghost very briefly when he touches him also, there's varamyr who wargs very consciously.

But warging in a dream seems to give the warg less control over the animal, the warg just sees, feels and experiences the things the animal does. Which is probably why they are so confused about the whole warging thing.

Also, none of the Stark children has had any 'training' with warging the way wargs north of the wall like Varamyr and others control their warging. Since wargs are not something anyone knows about south of the wall - they are left to figure it out for themselves, as naive children. Bran and Arya definitely seem to have the best command of it due to their circumstances where they are in life. Bran is crippled and spends most of his time in bed so his 'dreams' and warging likely mash together. He seems to fully understand there's a difference between the two but it won't be until he goes north of the wall and learns from the Three Eyed Crow (Brynden) that he fully understands what a warg is and how to skin change at will. Arya also uses warging almost by accident and then later purposefully but it seems less dream-like for her. She seems conscious and accepts the ability even if she doesn't understand what it is yet.

Isn't that how warging works? I assumed they did it while they where asleep and took control of them in their dreams...

Thats how it starts with all the Stark children, as they get more practice they start to be able to do it while conscious and obviously Bran quickly learns to go much further as things move on.

Bran says himself that he does not dream. I think he knows what is happening, although he may not fully understand it.

Well he does dream and has already had the dreams with the crow. He says this to end the conversation as he doesn't want to talk about it. It isn't fact that he never normally has dreams. In the book he believes they are just dreams for some time. I think its Jojen who explains it to him.

• 1 month later...

Well he does dream and has already had the dreams with the crow. He says this to end the conversation as he doesn't want to talk about it. It isn't fact that he never normally has dreams. In the book he believes they are just dreams for some time. I think its Jojen who explains it to him.

I know he dreams, and he knows he sometimes dreams. I think he said this because he knew that his "wolf-dream" was not a dream, as evidenced by a later episode.

Archived