Size of fleets

The Redwynes have "two hundred warships, and five times as many merchant carracks, wine cogs, trading galleys, and whalers",

So, I'm guessing Braavos has at least this many, but maybe up to 3x as many as this. 1200 would put them roughly in line with a faction in Qarth. But making 365 a year seems like they could ramp up quickly whenever they needed to. But they probably have roughly the same proportion of military:merchant class vessels.

I for one firmly believe Manderly will have at least 60 ships ready for war if and when it comes but what worries me is the west, the only ships they may have are a few longships taken from Asha. This does not seem adequate to deal with the threat of the Ironborn who are probably at least as dangerous as anyone coming from the East.

• 1 year later...

The largest fleet in the Realm after the battle of Blackwater Bay is the Redwyne Fleet, with 1000 ships, 200 warships

Largest fleet including Merchant Ships

Military vessels, and the Ironborn take this. They have the most ships by far and no one is going to beat their navy in its entirety.

Problem is some of it was lost on the way with Vict, and the two halves of their force are separated. Longships are not a real navy, though perhaps 15-30 of them would be able to take over a war galley by raiding it and taking command or burning it with a bunch of fire.

But the Redwyne fleet is mostly real warships, with some medium vessels along as well. They would carve through a fleet of longships with ease, but the Iron Fleet alone was probably bigger than the Redwyne's at the start of Clash.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Ironborn naval capacity:

1. The Iron Fleet is exactly 100 warships, each of about 100 men, as large as lesser wargalleys and built to be able to fight these (i.e higher decks than normal longships). This is crewed and captained by men from all over the Iron Islands, directly controlled by the King (via his appointed commander).

2. According to the Tyrell bannermen, the Ironborn assaulted the Shield islands with "a thousand ships". While this may be excaggerated (a fleeing man counts twice), it certainly is more than 100.

4. According to a SSM: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Re_Greyjoy_Fleet/

Each of the "major" lords of the Ironborn have at least 100 ships. Now, what counts as a "major" lord is not stated, but certainly the entire fleet of the Ironborn number in the hundreds, perhaps closer to a thousand than not.

5. The majority of these ships, however are normal longships, as Martin points out, about a third of the size of the ships of the Iron Fleet.

Taking everything into account, the total fleet of the Ironborn is something in the lines of 500-1000 ships, most of these smaller vessels of about 30 men, stiffened by the hard core of the Iron Fleet. Unlike the Redwyne fleet, which is about the same size, all of these ships are made for war, however.

• 1 month later...

The Lannisters could have 200 warships if they wanted. They would just have to decide to spend the gold on it. Which they choose not to, as Tywin obviously deemed 30 ships sufficient for his peacetime purposes.

Manderly has focused actively on building up a fleet for the North, as instructed by the Starks back in Clash of Kings. He is doing so not just with his own money, but with taxes that were previously due to the King in the North.

If the North dedicated all their efforts to raising a fleet, they could have a fleet 200 strong. It would probably not be wise, as the diverted resources would probably cause serious shortages elsewhere, and the justification for such a large fleet does not exist.

The point is, the ancient Greek cities like Athens etc. had very large fleets, yet their city populations numbered no more than 30000-50000 people. Manderly has a population of similar size just in his city, plus a huge region of countryside around it - bigger than the entire Greece many times over.

50 ships are not difficult to achieve at all, as evidenced by Manderly's direct statement to Davos.

Agree. I think Manderly has many.

• 3 months later...

Athens[+the surrounding area with all the towns and villages, of course] had a population of at least 250-300 thousand people, plus its subject poleis. You do know that a single galley requires like a hundred rowers? Warships haSd more, 200 or so. Which means 200 war galleys would require 40 thousand crew.

Not quite. The dromonds/war galleys Cersei built have about 100 oarsmen and those are the largest military vessels that exists. I believe that the regular galleys require at most 70 oars and I believe the same number of sailors. So each ship will need about 150 men. And there will be enough space for landing party. Yo do have to realize that the landing party is not part of the crew. They are just soldiers moving from one place to another.

The Redwyne fleet is already mentioned. But do not forget the Shiled Islands. I think the books mention that when the Greyjoys invaded those islands they sunk 28 ships but 12 managed to escape (correct me if I'm mistaken), so those 4 Shield Islands Lords can muster 50 ships.

The Hightowers also have their own fleet and their flagship, The Pride of Oldtown, along with the royal galley King Robert's Hammer were the largest war vessels until Cersei built the dromonds. Also, after the Battle of the Shield Islands, the Lord of Hightower commanded his eldest son, Baelor, to build more ships. Considering that they are very rich, I believe that they can muster around 20-30 galleys and the rest of the coastal lords from the Reach about 2-5 each, perhaps.

Dorne also has war ships but not as much as the rest of the of the Seven Kingdoms. So, probably the Martells have 10 war galleys and the Dornish coastal lords can probably muster 1-3 warships each.

Stannis' fleet (200 ships) was mainly composed of the remnants of the Royal Fleet, the coastal Houses from the Crownlands (Bar Emmon, Massey, Celtigar, Velaryon...) and Sallador's fleet. But I wouldn't be surprised if some Storm Lords have some warships as well. Tarth, for example, is an island off the coast of the Stormlands so they must have ships to defend their coasts against the Narrow Sea pirates.

It has never been mentioned that the Riverlands have warships, despite its coast's proximity to the Iron Islands. They probably go for land defenses.

During the Targaryen Conquest, it is mentioned that the Vale fleet managed to defeat the Targaryen fleet, but in response to that, Visenya Targaryen burned it. Considering they have the rich, port-city of Gulltown, my estimate is that the Vale, in total, can muster at least 40 warships.

I also think that the only Lord from the North that can muster a fleet is the Lord of White Harbor, so probably at least 20 ships.

It has never been mentioned that the Riverlands have warships, despite its coast's proximity to the Iron Islands. They probably go for land defenses.

IIRC Mallister has some ships.

IIRC Mallister has some ships.

“You have a fleet at Seagard?”

“A fleet, Your Grace? Half a dozen longships and two war galleys. Enough to defend my own shores against raiders, but I could not hope to meet the Iron Fleet in battle.”

Actually I am not quite sure that the Redwynes can realistically sustain so many warships or own such a wealth with the relatively small island they have. I guess they do not just sell wine. They should be a trading monopoly sort of thing. But with Oldtown so close, how could they thrive so much?

Actually I am not quite sure that the Redwynes can realistically sustain so many warships or own such a wealth with the relatively small island they have. I guess they do not just sell wine. They should be a trading monopoly sort of thing. But with Oldtown so close, how could they thrive so much?

They sell the wine across the Narrow Sea and bring spices and other precious things back. I also think that their vast wealth is a relatively new thing. They weren't mentioned in tPatQ IIRC and it is odd that Aegon II turned to the Greyjoys for a fleet if the Redwyne's were around already. My guess based on the books is that the Redwyne's only really rose to prominence after the Dance of Dragons. A couple of brillant lords, profiting from the diminished status of the Hightowers and the destruction of the Velaryon and Sunderland fleets (thanks to their support to Daemon BF), and you end up where we are at now.

Archived