Will Dorne Support Aegon or Dany?

Leviathan I

I suspect Doran will ask for solid proof that Aegon is who he claims to be. What might that proof be? Aegon the Conqueror's sword?

There's theories around that Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne or Tyene's mother. So, who knows? Maybe if she is indeed of them, Doran goes with it and supports Aegon.

Even Aegon the Conqueror and the dragons weren't able to subjugate Dorne. Targs only got Dorne my marriage alliance, not force. So I don't think he'll go for Dany just because she has dragons. I think that in the end it all resume to Doran's reaction to Quentyn's death stories...

Dorne wants vengeance. It has already sent a prince to start an alliance with Dany, but that didn't go too well. Now Aegon is looking for support and is looking at Dorne. I don't really see Dany forming an alliance with Aegon, which begs the question: (assuming Dany makes it to Westeros) Who will Dorne support? Dorne wants justice, so logically they would probably pick the strongest side, that would be Dany with her dragons and army of Unsullied (and possibly sellswords, Dothraki and Vicatarion and his iron fleet). Aegon right now isn't looking all that powerful but has Quentyn's demise also doomed the alliance between Dorne and Dany? Will Dorne now turn their heads towards Aegon? Or have they got something else altogether planned?

I think Aegon - son of Elia. (At least supposedly.)

Plus, they sent Quentyn to Danaerys, and he ended up a roasted marshmallow.

Unless / until they hear the circumstances from Quentyn's two companions, they may think the Queen just slew him in a fit of pique or something.

(Now, I know this plan won't work. Aegon doesn't know about the Others, and direly underestimates Stannis. If the Braavosi had known, they might have supported Aegon, but that train has sailed. Aegon will eventually face a man with iron determination and virtually infinite gold. And then, there's the Others. But if I were Aegon, and only knew what he knew, this would be a solid plan.)

Stannis is only such a hard-ass because he believes his is PWWP and rightful king through his brother - I recall he laments the one and only time he didn't do his duty was following Robert into rebellino. Which begs the question - could/would Stannis kneel to a true Targaryen?

Many people are going to wonder if and when Aegon is revealed if it is really him.

Doran loved his sister and lived through it. This is worse for him. This is love and politics.

And right about now one of Dany's dragons torched his eldest son, but politics is involved and...

He has a tough choice and many things to consider.

Something mystifies me about the whole Doran thing. Why would he have wanted a marriage pact for Quentyn with any Targaryen? Elia was treated disrespectfully by her husband and I can't figure out why Doran would want any of his loved ones united with that unstable and egotistical family again?

All I can assume is that Doran blames the death of Elia 100% on the Lannisters and he sees Rhaegar/Aerys as blameless. I don't get it. If I was in his shoes, I would hate both of those families.

Something mystifies me about the whole Doran thing. Why would he have wanted a marriage pact for Quentyn with any Targaryen? Elia was treated disrespectfully by her husband and I can't figure out why Doran would want any of his loved ones united with that unstable and egotistical family again?

All I can assume is that Doran blames the death of Elia 100% on the Lannisters and he sees Rhaegar/Aerys as blameless. I don't get it. If I was in his shoes, I would hate both of those families.

He wanted a marriage pact for Arianne but that's obviously not that important. We don't know that she was, we assume she wasn't consulted at all in the Lyanna affair but in the House of the Undying Rhaegar says to Elia (while knowing full well she can't have a child) that he needs another child. Aegon was going to be King so it wasn't at the detriment to Elia's son becoming King. Doran wants them to be with the Targaryens because he wants his family to be royals again.

Doran does blame the Lannisters for it all, he and Oberyn both wanted to utterly destroy Tywin for what he did to Elia and her children. That the blame the Lannisters totally is made explicitly clear in the books.

OP

You're forgetting the common assumption that Dany has actually died in the fighting pits after Drogon flew off. At the very least common rumour would tell of her disappearence. This means Doran will have no choice between Dany and Aegon. It will also free Aegon of his obligation to marry Daenerys and allow him to marry Arriane. I think that Dorans does doubt but his problem as with Quentyn is that he can't control events or what his people do; ie he couldn't stop Quentyn getting on a dragon and killing himself. I could very much see Arriane marrying Aegon on the spot without her fathers wishes and possibly the Sandsnakes doing something in KL. This will force Doran to put Martell on a war-footing for Aegon.

Archived