A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

The pre-Conquest Starks are referred to as the Kings of Winter. They would not have been kings beyond the Wall, as the erection of the Wall coincides with the founding of House Stark (Brandon the Builder).

No one but Robb Stark, to my knowledge, was ever called the King in the North. Certainly not the pre-Conquest Starks.

Dany. He had difficulty untwisting the stupid Meereenese Knot.

Can we please get this pinned?

OMG that doesnt surprise me at all. He has made it so complex and difficult. Why did he do this - because she has to learn to rule? Why do we need to know so much about the slave cities? Perhaps the character dragged herself into this mess. Shaking Meereen off her shoes seemed like a great idea. Time to go East. Since GRRM seems to have a thing for Asshai I bet that;s where she is headed.

Marie

Weren't there wights out in the daytime as they approached the cave?

I´ve checked this, it was just before sunset coldhands urges them (Meera, Jojen, Hodor and Bran) to reach the cave before sunset. There were long shadows on the mountain, so it was probably at least dusk. CH also mentions that they ( the Wights ) are drawn by heat, so maybe he just fears the temperature drop and their body heat standing out in contrast to the environment, make of it what you want.

@Lady from Yi Ti

I also think, they´ve risen before because of the blue eyes. I wasn´t shure wether they were placed there or went there on there own account. Since Ghost dug them up, I think they went by themselves and hid for the day, like the ones at the cave.

I think they were on their way to Castle Black, but I don´t think there was a plan to be carried inside the Castle, unless the plan included Ghost finding them. To add Waymar Royce and Small Paul were the only people we saw being killed directly by WW´s and they rose instantly.

@rmholt

The FM do not prefer any religion. Jaquen later swears to Arya by all sorts of gods even to the Lord of Light. It is speculated that he was refering to the fire that would have killed the 3, as in fire is the matter of the Red God, but I still find it odd too.

How long have the Others been awake?

Since the wildlings are just starting to flee south in the beginning of AGoT, I feel we're meant to believe they are just now waking up/coming out of hibernation in preparation for what is sure to be a long winter.

But Craster seems to have been giving his sons to them for a long time-- I'm not sure how old he's supposed to be, but it must be at least 20 years, probably longer, that we're meant to believe he's been giving his sons over to them. Were they awake during summer? If so how is it possible that no other wildlings knew of them? Is this a mystery to be revealed, or a mistake, or did i just miss something?

@Elaena Targaryen

I agree with A Free Shadow, without checking I wanted to say Harrenhal. The dream about Iggo being killed seems to be the first where there is no doubt, that Arya is inside Nymeria.

@sweet sister

That´s a really good question that can only be answered by speculating. I think it´s a mystery to be revealed and no mistake. And if you missed something, I did too. I will take your question to the heresy thread, so you might want to take a look.

Be aware of spoilers though, from ADwD, D&E and TV show season 2.

Ghost didnt dig up the wights.

But according to Ygritte it was Mance Rayder, seen by Jon through Ghost's eyes, who ordered all the graves opened to look for the horn of Joramun. The purpose of finding the horn was to destroy it so the Wall couldnt be destroyed - as it was needed for protection from the Others and the wights.

Ghost didnt dig up the wights.<snip>

You´re right. Ghost brings the hand at the end of the one Jon chapter. The next Jon chapter the group is already examining the corpses, but the conversation shows that they were found atop the ground. So they could have been placed there, but my conclusion holds. A plan to have them brought into Castle Black must have included Ghost finding them ( no other animal goes near them ) and the Old Bear opposing the burning of the corpses. The thing about the horn is speculation.

The wights: I guess I got confused in the Ghost/wildling scenes. The large number of wights encountered beyond the wall was said by Ygritte to be due to the opening of graves by Mance Rayder looking for the Horn of Joramun. Whether it would have blown down the wall or not is legend and may not be fact but Mance apparently was not taking any chances. I dont know why they didnt burn the corpses they dug up - perhaps they had also forgotten why they burned their dead - and then recalled when the wights came marching. Kind of confusing.

Ghost didnt dig up the wights.

But according to Ygritte it was Mance Rayder, seen by Jon through Ghost's eyes, who ordered all the graves opened to look for the horn of Joramun. The purpose of finding the horn was to destroy it so the Wall couldnt be destroyed - as it was needed for protection from the Others and the wights.

According to Ygritte they were looking for the horn to destroy the wall, not to protect the wall.

But if this is true is kind of weird, because, they want to go south because of the Others, and by searching the tool to go south they wake the Others... the chicken or the egg?

According to Ygritte they were looking for the horn to destroy the wall, not to protect the wall.

But if this is true is kind of weird, because, they want to go south because of the Others, and by searching the tool to go south they wake the Others... the chicken or the egg?

I don't think they woke up actual Others. At best, they have cultural guilt for disturbing graves. At worst, they loosed a few wights.

I read that as in she learned the words -before- even boarding the ship... but maybe you're right.

From how I read the text, she did learn the words before boarding the ship... she just didn't yet know what they meant.

But "valar morghulis" were the first Braavosi words that she learnt.

From how I read the text, she did learn the words before boarding the ship... she just didn't yet know what they meant.

But "valar morghulis" were the first Braavosi words that she learnt.

Jaqen simply told her the words and asked her to repeat and memorise them. But she did not know the meaning until the kid on the ship explained it. Or I am missing something in the question?

I always wondered that as well, never made much sense to me. Could have simply gone back to Castle Black/Shadow Tower and deserted from there but that seems highly unlikely

I think I remember reading this in either Storm or Dance (or I never read it and my mind is making it up). Did Dany say that a person can only ride one dragon?

And, if that's the case, what are the theories on what becomes of Rheagal and Viserion?

Yes, Aegon never tried to ride his sisters' dragons, though his own dragon was ridden by others after his death. It is unclear what becomes of Rhaegal and Viserion, because nobody has ridden them yet, but Drogon is taken.

Yeah, it's something like "a dragon can have more than one rider but a human can only have one dragon". Some say it'll be Jon and Tyrion. I always thought she meant to put Jorah on one, then he went and betrayed her

Edit:

“One of them. All I know of dragons is what my brother told me when I was a girl, and some I

read in books, but it is said that even Aegon the Conqueror never dared mount Vhagar or Meraxes, nor

did his sisters ride Balerion the Black Dread. Dragons live longer than men, some for hundreds of years,

so Balerion had other riders after Aegon died … but no rider ever flew two dragons.”

Archived