A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

The wiki says the guest right has been infamously violated three times. I can think of the Rat Cook and the Red Wedding. What was the third? *mind blanks*

Thanks.

Unless someone does know the third one, I think it might be a mistake, seeing as the Wiki says three but only lists those two.

Does anyone know how long the Wall is? In AGOT it says 100 leagues but I seem to remember Jon saying its weakness is its length saying it's 300 leagues but I could be mistaken

Does anyone know how long the Wall is? In AGOT it says 100 leagues but I seem to remember Jon saying its weakness is its length saying it's 300 leagues but I could be mistaken

300 miles long, 700 feet high. By comparison, the Great Wall of China is about 3,900 miles long (the actual Wall, not counting natural barriers) but only 16-25 feet tall.

300 miles long, 700 feet high. By comparison, the Great Wall of China is about 3,900 miles long (the actual Wall, not counting natural barriers) but only 16-25 feet tall.

There's my mistake, 100 leagues = 300 miles. Thank you

The wiki says the guest right has been infamously violated three times. I can think of the Rat Cook and the Red Wedding. What was the third? *mind blanks*

Thanks.

Thanks.

The Purple Wedding perhaps?

I also have a question of my own. Most heirs of noble houses are knights while their father's are still alive, but what would people refer to Robb Stark as? He worships the old gods so he can't be a knight. It seems kind of disrespectful for people to refer to him as just Robb. When they introduce him they can just say "Oh here comes Robb Stark heir to Winterfell", but how how about when they directly address him?

I also have a question of my own. Most heirs of noble houses are knights while their father's are still alive, but what would people refer to Robb Stark as? He worships the old gods so he can't be a knight. It seems kind of disrespectful for people to refer to him as just Robb. When they introduce him they can just say "Oh here comes Robb Stark heir to Winterfell", but how how about when they directly address him?

I could be wrong, but I think that now his father's dead, he's Lord Stark.

I believe that they would address Robb (and Bran and Rickard) as Lord, wouldn't they? I don't remember how he was addressed actually, but I remember them being referred to as Lords. Servants and the lower classes would probably called them My Lord or M'lord. Tyrion is not a knight, so he is not a Ser, but I believe that he is sometimes called Lord Tyrion. I don't actually remember Robb being called Lord Robb, though (he may have been, though and I just can't recall).

I believe that they would address Robb (and Bran and Rickard) as Lord, wouldn't they? I don't remember how he was addressed actually, but I remember them being referred to as Lords. Servants and the lower classes would probably called them My Lord or M'lord. Tyrion is not a knight, so he is not a Ser, but I believe that he is sometimes called Lord Tyrion. I don't actually remember Robb being called Lord Robb, though (he may have been, though and I just can't recall).

Luwin refers to Robb as "my lord" when he discusses the Winterfell staff vacancies. Technically at that time Catelyn was still nominally in charge of the household, so it wouldn't have been as if Robb was the "acting" lord. I think "lord" might just be courtesy title.

Luwin refers to Robb as "my lord" when he discusses the Winterfell staff vacancies. Technically at that time Catelyn was still nominally in charge of the household, so it wouldn't have been as if Robb was the "acting" lord. I think "lord" might just be courtesy title.

Yes, but at that point in time, Ned was alive and well in KL.

Surely once Ned is dead, Robb is Lord Stark, isn't he Apple Martini? It's not like an underage claimant to the throne, where a Regent can control the kingdom, although Ned's will might say Cat has control of Winterfell till Robb becomes 16. If that's the age of majority in Westeros, I'm not sure.

On another point, but related. It's something I didn't understand about Joffrey. Am I totally forgetting a coronation? I might be. But take Queen Elizabeth, her father died, she suceeded to the crown, but there was still a coronation ceremony. I don't know enough about royal rules of inheritance off hand, I'll have to look it up. But certainly, it's a question of "The king is dead, long live the king!", so the heir steps in to fill the vacuum, or rather, there is no vacuum. The king dies, there's immediately a new king. But I think there should still be a coronation to confirm the title passing. The problem in ASOIAF being that Joffrey stepping in is being challenged. Any ideas?

Yes, but at that point in time, Ned was alive and well in KL.

Surely once Ned is dead, Robb is Lord Stark, isn't he Apple Martini? It's not like an underage claimant to the throne, where a Regent can control the kingdom, although Ned's will might say Cat has control of Winterfell till robb becomes 16. If that's the age of majority in Westeros, I'm not sure.

Well yes, but I think the question was, what do you call a noble guy who's not a knight but also not really an actual lord yet? I showed an example of Robb being referred to as "my lord" as a courtesy title, and Tyrion is called "Lord Tyrion," too, before either of them are properly "lords" in the legal sense.

On another point, but related. It's something I didn't understand about Joffrey. Am I totally forgetting a coronation? I might be. But take Queen Elizabeth, her father died, she suceeded to the crown, but there was still a coronation ceremony. I don't know enough about royal rules of inheritance off hand, I'll have to look it up. But certainly, it's a question of "The king is dead, long live the king!", so the heir steps in to fill the vacuum, or rather, there is no vacuum. The king dies, there's immediately a new king. But I think there should still be a coronation to confirm the title passing. The problem in ASOIAF being that Joffrey stepping in is being challenged. Any ideas?

If he's coronated, we don't see it. Robert dies and Joffrey's on the throne, wearing the crown when Ned goes in and get betrayed by the City Watch.

Right, what's his title while still alive. Well, he's not lord of Winterfell while Ned is alive. Remember that Cat objects when people refer to Edmure as Lord Edmure - she says, what, has my father died? And they say, well, no. So Lord is not the correct title. He may just be Robb Stark.

And I'm glad I'm not imagining things about no coronation.

Right, what's his title while still alive. Well, he's not lord of Winterfell while Ned is alive. Remember that Cat objects when people refer to Edmure as Lord Edmure - she says, what, has my father died? And they say, well, no. So Lord is not the correct title. He may just be Robb Stark.

It's probably a matter of courtesy that varies depending on who's doing the talking. Cat's father is deathly ill, so it might chafe at her when someone calls Edmure lord, whereas if Hoster was healthy, it could be that she would see it as just a courtesy.

Archived