A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

He returns after the purple wedding, so in the entire time he was absent two king died. Seems very odd that such a massive disregard for his duties could not only be excused, but seemingly completely ignored.

You're right about his return, yes. And it would be ignored when he got back, because the transgression was against a guy who was a "confessed traitor."

yup. the purple stones in Sansa's hairnet. That's why people believe Lady Oleana poisoned Joff. She was fussing with it during the dinner. The stones were mention several times. I think that she and Littlefinger were in on it together.

They were in on it. It is known! LF tells Sansa the whole plan in Feast For Crows, doesnt he?

After Jaime attacks Ned and flees to aid his fathers war effort, Robert is still king: despite there being a lot of Lannisters around, how is it that he issued no punishment for this whatsoever? I suppose he could have been pardoned once Joffrey was king, but would they not have chosen a new Lord Commander in the year or more that Jaime is absent? Then Jaime strolls back into Kings landing and starts issuing orders: nobody questions this and they all follow his orders.

I just thought of another complication: Jaime isn't even LC when he flees, Barristan is. So when Jaime returns he's NEVER been LC whilst being present in Kings Landing. I'm not 100% on the chronology, but I thought Barristan was dismissed around the same time that Jaime was captured at Whispering Wood. So if this is true, how does Jaime even know that he's LC? Surely he's had no correspondence with any one in KL in the whole period from the end of aGoT right through to his return in aSoS?

Edit: OK, there's about four chapters between Barristan's dismissal and Jaime's capture. So I guess we're to assume a raven was sent and he was told. Still seems odd that this is never mentioned when he returns. Also, I'm not sure why Tywin didn't take the opportunity to have Jaime dismissed (his grandson having set the precedent with Barristan) seeing as he never wanted him to join in the first place.

TRUE. he is tricksy, but how would he have known how it went down otherwise? he specifically asked sansa if lady olenna fixed her hairnet... i dont remember if he mentioned one of the stones being missing at all, or if he implied it at least

@Lady from Yi Ti

I was reminded of betel nuts, too. The closest western equivalent to sourleaf, I can think of, is chewing tobacco.

ETA: @DaveSumm, iIrc Tywin did try just that. Only Jaime insisted on fulfilling his vows as KG.

As do Margaery, Olenna, and LF.

Even more so than Lancel and Cersei, considering that they actually poisoned Joff, while Lancel and Cersei 'only' facilitated Robert's death.

Which really makes me hope that LF and the Tyrells get some kind of comeuppance soon. Yes, Bob was a bad king, and Joff was terrible. But for me, that doesn't eradicate that killing them was bad, too. I'm not much of a Stannis fan, but he certainly has that part right, if nothing else.

Even more so than Lancel and Cersei, considering that they actually poisoned Joff, while Lancel and Cersei 'only' facilitated Robert's death.

Which really makes me hope that LF and the Tyrells get some kind of comeuppance soon. Yes, Bob was a bad king, and Joff was terrible. But for me, that doesn't eradicate that killing them was bad, too. I'm not much of a Stannis fan, but he certainly has that part right, if nothing else.

After all, it's not like he killed his brother or burnt a bunch of people in pyres.

So, I'm reading the thread about Boltons and why they're still around and there was reference made to the Greystarks of the Wolf's Den. I took a look over the Wiki articles on these subjects and I'm confused .....

The article about the Greystarks says they were replaced as lords of the Wolf's Den in response to their joining the Boltons in revolt on Winterfell. After the Greystarks, there were several families who held the castle, one after the other, some of them for centuries at a stretch. We know that the Wolf's Den is in present-day White Harbor and that White Harbor was gifted the Manderlys when they joined the North. The Manderlys took their oaths to Winterfell about a thousand years ago. But here's the problem: the Boltons also swore their oaths to Winterfell about a thousand years ago.

In order for the Boltons to have rebelled, they have to have been sworn to Winterfell. So, the sequence of events is:

??? - The Boltons resign their crown and swear fealty to Winterfell.

???+ - The Greystarks and Boltons rebel against Winterfell.

- The Greystarks are replaced as lords of the Wolf's Den

???++ - Lots of families hold the Wolf's Den in succession

About a thousand years ago - The Manderlys are given the Wolf's Den when they swear fealty to Winterfell

- At about the same time, the Boltons resign their crown and swear fealty to Winterfell

What have I missed here?

Just read this on the wiki, it's in the chapter summaries section for A Game Of Thrones. Presumably the blurb from the back of one of the editions:

"Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance."

Has this ever been officially been confirmed/denied as canon?

Archived