A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

@The Knight of Flowers--

Tyrion is referring to how old the skulls are, not how old the dragons were when they died. So the three-thousand-year-old skull belonged to a dragon that died three thousand years ago. Balerions skull would be around two hundred years old (since Balerion died two hundred years previously).

I just realized that I was equating the 'oldest' to the 'largest', which is obviously a bit silly. Cheers for clearing this up.

I just realized that I was equating the 'oldest' to the 'largest', which is obviously a bit silly. Cheers for clearing this up.

Well, technically Balerion could have been both the oldest and the largest dragon the Targaryens ever had, but his skull definitely wasn't the oldest.

Well, technically Balerion could have been both the oldest and the largest dragon the Targaryens ever had, but his skull definitely wasn't the oldest.

I'm not quite sure where the oldest skulls came from, then. Did the Targaryens really take a 2700 year old skull with them to Dragonstone and then to Westeros so it could sit in the throne room? If they really hand knowledge of the impending Doom I wouldn't have ancient dragon skulls down at the top of my emergency packing list...

I'm not quite sure where the oldest skulls came from, then. Did the Targaryens really take a 2700 year old skull with them to Dragonstone and then to Westeros so it could sit in the throne room? If they really hand knowledge of the impending Doom I wouldn't have ancient dragon skulls down at the top of my emergency packing list...

I think the Targaryens were on Dragonstone long before the conquest. I believe it was a province/colony of the Valyrian empire.

Does winter ever really comes in Dorne? Do they have snow there?

Seconded.

Or Essos? I don't remember the fear of winter over there and parts of it seem to be on the same latitude as the Riverlands.

Arya chapter: Clash of KIngs:

" She remembered Nan telling how the stone had melted and flowed like candlewax down the steps and in the windows..."

This was when Harren was roasted by the dragons.

Question: How can a rock fortress melt and flow like lava?

Thank you!

What King Doug said. The Targaryens had been on Dragonstone for about a century (I think) before the Doom took Valyria.

Lava is molten rock.

Stone melts at a certain temperature, so we could assume that dragon's fire is at least as hot as the melting point of stone.

Arya chapter: Clash of KIngs:

" She remembered Nan telling how the stone had melted and flowed like candlewax down the steps and in the windows..."

This was when Harren was roasted by the dragons.

Thank you!

Magic dragon fire.

Seconded.

Or Essos? I don't remember the fear of winter over there and parts of it seem to be on the same latitude as the Riverlands.

In one of Dany's last chapters in ADWD, she noticed that the high grasses of the Dothaki sea have changed color from green to yellow or brown, I’m not sure…

So there are seasons in Essos, I would assume that it’s the same as in Westeros: colder North and warmer south…

But the mystery is still complete to me; maybe it snows in Bravos and in the Dothaki sea, but what about Slaver’s bay?

Anyway, if no one knows the answer, I guess we’ll learn it soon enough in TWOW.

When Davos suggests going to the Wall to Stannis, is Melisandre aware that this is where the 'great other's domain is? It seems a little odd that she never suggests going there herself, and then when she does she immediately starts talking of the great impending war, as does Stannis. It seems to take something away from Davos's advice if they were planning on going there eventually anyway.

When Davos suggests going to the Wall to Stannis, is Melisandre aware that this is where the 'great other's domain is? It seems a little odd that she never suggests going there herself, and then when she does she immediately starts talking of the great impending war, as does Stannis. It seems to take something away from Davos's advice if they were planning on going there eventually anyway.

Melisandre seems to be spouting prophecy and visions without really knowing what that mean. Not that Davos meant to, but he basically manipulated her by giving "facts" to fit he belief. She seems to "shoehorn" facts into her visions/prophecies instead of letting them come naturally.

Does winter ever really comes in Dorne? Do they have snow there?

I can't remember snow being mentioned in Dorne, but I did find a quote from one of the Queen's Men gaurding Stanis (Jon notes they are wearing cloth gloves, offers to have them see Bowen Marsh for fur lined leather gloves):

“That’s if our bloody hands aren’t froze off,” the younger added, his breath a pale mist. “I

used to think that it got cold up in the Dornish Marches. What did I know?”

So it at least gets cold in areas of Dorne, but relative to what?

Archived