A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

So... did I miss something, or did Arya magically learn the meaning of the words at some point? I think it's a small error by GRRM, myself. Not a big deal. :)

No error at all, he states: 'she had learned more Braavosi words since they left Saltpans'. So he says she learned the words on the ship, I guess, not magically, just off-screen.

No error at all, he states: 'she had learned more Braavosi words since they left Saltpans'. So he says she learned the words on the ship, I guess, not magically, just off-screen.

I read that as in she learned the words -before- even boarding the ship... but maybe you're right.

Tyrion wasn't involved in Joffrey's murder. The only thing he took from Pycelle's cabinet was the potion he used to make Cersei ill and get her out of his way for a few days.

Apple I agree with you completely that Tyrion did not kill Joff. However, I still always wonder why Tyrion dumped out Joff's cup without drinking from it. I don;t picture him being so fastidious as not to drink from someone else's cup. Maybe he was very quick to realize it was poisoned? What do you think?

Namedays are an actual thing celebrated in much of mainland Europe. Each day of the year has a name associated with it, when your name day comes around it is very much like a birthday with presents and stuff. As an example, Stannis' nameday would be 11 April in France.

Well, happy name day, Stannis!

Apple I agree with you completely that Tyrion did not kill Joff. However, I still always wonder why Tyrion dumped out Joff's cup without drinking from it. I don;t picture him being so fastidious as not to drink from someone else's cup. Maybe he was very quick to realize it was poisoned? What do you think?

You know, I'm not sure. Could've been to prevent other people from drinking from it. Could be he turned it over to see if something was in it. I agree it was an odd thing to do.

You know, I'm not sure. Could've been to prevent other people from drinking from it. Could be he turned it over to see if something was in it. I agree it was an odd thing to do.

When I have asked this as my small question, the answer I got was that he figured a lot on the spot and was trying to protect Sansa :dunno:

When Othor and Jafer Flowers were turned into wights, why didn't they rise immediately like Ser Waymar Royce? Were they shamming dead to get into Castle Black (and assassinate Mormont and others)? Was this at least partly through retaining a certain agency or complete control by the Others?

@Lady from Yi Ti

Sam notices that Othor and Jafer were placed there and they were found at daylight. They rose at night, so we don´t know if they didn´t rise immediately.

How is Yi Ti?

I asked this in the last thread but it might have gone unnoticed, so here is my small question:

Since the Dornish seem to have a more liberal view of women, can Dawn ever be passed on to a female Dayne?

I'm going to tentatively say, no. At least not under circumstances as they stand now. I get the impression that only a knight can make a claim for Dawn, and women can't be knights. Maybe that will change (e.g. with Brienne) but probably not.

Weren't there wights out in the daytime as they approached the cave?

Yes; I interpreted it as evidence that, as Winter approaches, wights get stronger and are even able to walk during daytime (it's colder and from what the books say the sunlight is weaker). I don't remember any case before that one when wights attack during the day.

If Jaqen H'ghar is a FM how is it that he follows the Red God (The Red God must have his due - death pays for life and so forth) Is it that the God of Many Faces incorporates all gods? He is clearly a follower of the Lord of Light at some level.

Archived