A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

Jaqen simply told her the words and asked her to repeat and memorise them. But she did not know the meaning until the kid on the ship explained it. Or I am missing something in the question?

From how I read the text, she did learn the words before boarding the ship... she just didn't yet know what they meant.

But "valar morghulis" were the first Braavosi words that she learnt.

Arent those High Valyrian words? Dany says them. She may have picked them up at Braavos but on the other hand, the FM, and all of Braavos for that matter, IIRC, came from Valyria

Marie

Thanks! That's what I thought (Pycelle being pro-Lannister, Varys being pro-Targaryen) but I wanted to be sure.

We also now have reason to believe that maesters in general are anti-dragon which may equate to being anti-Targ.

We also now have reason to believe that maesters in general are anti-dragon which may equate to being anti-Targ.

Not maesters in general, just a strong faction within the Citadel. I don't know whether or not Pycelle is a part of that faction, but I always assumed his loyalty to Tywin would be enough to explain his actions in that case.

Btw, I don't remember if it was ever explained, how did Pycelle became Grand Maester? Tywin's influence somehow? And do we know what family he comes from?

Anyone got a size estimate on the Dire Wolves and some lore to go with it ? I mean I know they are bigger than normal wolves, but are they like dragons where they never stop growing until they die or do they reach a certain size or what I don't really know?

Anyone got a size estimate on the Dire Wolves and some lore to go with it ? I mean I know they are bigger than normal wolves, but are they like dragons where they never stop growing until they die or do they reach a certain size or what I don't really know?

Did a little wiki browsing. Actual dire wolves in our world grew to about five feet long and were between 110 pounds and 180-ish pounds. That's pretty big for a dog, but my own domesticated dogs are about as large (and I've had two that are bigger). Their legs were comparatively short, apparently.

Direwolves in Westeros are different. Their legs are comparatively long instead and grow to the size of ponies/small horses. As small horses seem to be about five feet tall at the most, I'd say that direwolves are a little more than four feet tall full grown. Dunno how that translates in weight. It looks as if, like regular wolves, they do stop growing, since I can't find any information to the contrary.

Not maesters in general, just a strong faction within the Citadel. I don't know whether or not Pycelle is a part of that faction, but I always assumed his loyalty to Tywin would be enough to explain his actions in that case.

Btw, I don't remember if it was ever explained, how did Pycelle became Grand Maester? Tywin's influence somehow? And do we know what family he comes from?

I don't think it was ever explained, either of those things. I speculate that he is anti-dragon since he's the highest ranking maester, and I don't think he wouldn't be aware of an anti-magic movement in the Citadel. So he's either ignoring it or he's part of it, my guess is the latter.

I dont think so. What interests me more is what the hell did he do to get locked up with Rorge and Biter all the way to the Wall?

Because he was in the black cells. They are reserved for really horrible crimes or treason I'm fairly sure. So, on the way to the wall, they kept the horrible people togethere and locked up.

Did a little wiki browsing. Actual dire wolves in our world grew to about five feet long and were between 110 pounds and 180-ish pounds. That's pretty big for a dog, but my own domesticated dogs are about as large (and I've had two that are bigger). Their legs were comparatively short, apparently.

Direwolves in Westeros are different. Their legs are comparatively long instead and grow to the size of ponies/small horses. As small horses seem to be about five feet tall at the most, I'd say that direwolves are a little more than four feet tall full grown. Dunno how that translates in weight. It looks as if, like regular wolves, they do stop growing, since I can't find any information to the contrary.

Wouldn't it be so cool, though, to picture a King Kong sized direwolf? ;)

I'm just wondering about the illustrations in the Harper Collins slipcase editions. First of all, they are illusatrated aren't they? Secondly, how many are there in the book and are they well done?

Because he was in the black cells. They are reserved for really horrible crimes or treason I'm fairly sure. So, on the way to the wall, they kept the horrible people togethere and locked up.

Great...that doesnt answer my question at all though. However I don't believe there is an answer to why he was imprisoned. I was just speculating further on how awful a crime he must have commited by comparing him to his traveling companions Rorge and Biter.

Great...that doesnt answer my question at all though. However I don't believe there is an answer to why he was imprisoned. I was just speculating further on how awful a crime he must have commited by comparing him to his traveling companions Rorge and Biter.

He was in the deepest levels of the Black Cells. When Jaime goes to investigate what happened to Tyrion after his escape he talks to the head gaoler and what the gaoler says is that while Ned Stark was the Hand he ordered that the prisoners in the Black Cells were to be sent to the Wall at Yoren's request. The gaoler said that he "did not think it good to free those three" even if it was for the NW, but since the papers were in order he couldn't do anything about it except note his thoughts on the report.

So we don't know what he did, as answered before, but we know it was pretty bad.

That is the exact answer to your question.

Here's the conversation:

Maroucia: Does anyone know why Jaqen H’ghar was locked in the Black cells?

You: I dont think so. What interests me more is what the hell did he do to get locked up with Rorge and Biter all the way to the Wall?

Me: Because he was in the black cells. They are reserved for really horrible crimes or treason I'm fairly sure. So, on the way to the wall, they kept the horrible people togethere and locked up.

The thing he did to get him locked himself locked up with Rorge and Biter all the way to the wall was be in the black cells. That is the answer to the question you asked. What you thought you were asking was "Why did Jaqen get locked in the black cells?" and for an answer to that, see The Imp With a Pimp Limp's post above.

As I explained in the second half of the post, it is very clear that the shades are not wights.

Really? I thought the shades were the same as wights. Just a language difference. Can you reference this? And where are the released "shades" and what are they up to? and where did all the wights come from?

Marie

I want to read D&E, but I can't figure out exactly what to buy on Amazon, even though there is a D&E thread. I can't find a lot of those books. Could anyone pllllease do me the favor of looking over at Amazon and telling me what I would need to order? Kindle is fine too. Thanks! :)

I ordered these and also some of the other volumes. WTH is Hedge knight so expensive!!! Is it worth it?

Really? I thought the shades were the same as wights. Just a language difference. Can you reference this? And where are the released "shades" and what are they up to?

Based on the way "shade" has been used throughout the books, it seems to refer to a kind of intangible "spirit" of a dead creature, and not a physically reanimated dead body. Here are a few examples:

From ACOK:

"Do [the direwolves] miss their brothers and sisters too? Bran wondered. Are they calling to Grey Wind and Ghost, to Nymeria and Lady's Shade?"

"[Choosing Lord Hornwood's bastard to succeed him would] please the Glovers, and perhaps Lord Hornwood's shade as well, but I do not think Lady Hornwood would love us. The boy is not of her blood." (This quote is incomplete because I'm taking it from the free Google Ebook version, which only lets you view a limited numer of pages.)

From ASOS:

"'King Renly's shade was seen as well,' the captain said, 'slaying left and right as he led the lion lord's van.'" (Renly's ghost is referred to several more times throughout the books as "Renly's shade.")

"'I swore an oath to keep him safe,' she said to Rhaegar's shade, 'I swore a holy oath.'

'We all swore oaths,' said Ser Arthur [...] The shades dismounted from their ghostly horses. When they drew their longswords, it made not a sound.'" (I think this is from one of Brienne's dreams).

"'It's said that Harren and his sons still walk the halls by night, afire. Those who look upon them burst into flame.'

'I fear no shade, ser. It is written in The Seven-Pointed Star that spirits, wights, and revenants cannot harm a pious man, so long as he is armored in his faith.'"

"I will find her, my lady, Brienne swore to Lady Catelyn's restless shade." (This is before Brienne actually meets Catelyn at the end of the book.)

From ADWD:

"The galleys [Victarion] renamed Ghost and Shade. 'For I mean them to return and haunt these Yunkishmen,' he told the dusky woman that night after he had taken his pleasure of her."

I think this is what Ygritte meant when she used the word "shade." She's basically saying that in opening the graves they released the dead men's "spirits" into the world. Mind you, I don't think they literally released any spirits into the world, I think it's just a wildling superstition. In other words, I don't expect to see an army of "shades" coming down from the north anytime soon.

and where did all the wights come from?

From dead wildlings, like the ones Ser Waymar Royce found at the beginning of AGOT.

Archived