A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

Why didn't Cersei have any children after Tommem, for like seven years?

Serie gave a possible answer to the "why" of it, so I'll address the "how". Presumably she's having sex with Jaime during the intervening years, so how does she not get pregnant? Seven years of one form of contraception or another goes unnoticed, apparently.

It's a good question, but I don't know that the books provide an answer to either "how" or "why".

This is a silly question but here it goes.

In AFFC Littlefinger says 'What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear'

Does that mean there is going to be some sort of all out war or civil breakdown in WoW?

Serie gave a possible answer to the "why" of it, so I'll address the "how". Presumably she's having sex with Jaime during the intervening years, so how does she not get pregnant? Seven years of one form of contraception or another goes unnoticed, apparently.

It's a good question, but I don't know that the books provide an answer to either "how" or "why".

Moontea, kind Sir. Moontea (which is a herbal tea) is a popular contraception method in westeros, even beyond the Wall as well. Its mentioned in the book in several occasions.

In AFFC Littlefinger says 'What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear'

Does that mean there is going to be some sort of all out war or civil breakdown in WoW?

While I have no doubts about civil war in WoW, what Littlefinger meant was that the queens aren't going to be fixing any of the problems.

It refers to the war between the Targaryens vs. Stannis vs. Lannisters (not forgetting Euron). The peace under Tommen's rule will be undone, and the order that the Lannisters established (Bolton as Warden of the North, alliances with Highgarden and Sunspear, etc.) will be undone.

Plus, what greygnarl said.

I think that the more interesting question is: which three queens is he talking about? Presumably Cersei and Margaery are two. But who is the third?

Dany? Presumably LF has heard of Dany, he knows a lot of things. But why would he think that Dany would play a part, she is on the other side of the world and is so far making no sign of moving towards Westeros.

Sansa? Maybe. I think so. LF obviously has big plans for her.

Myrcella? Jeyne Westerling? Selyse? There is certainly no shortage of queens or wanna-be queens. Asha, queen of the Iron Islands? Val, the wildling princess? The Queen of Thorns? Fake-Arya?

I do think Sansa, but it is one of those questionable mini-mysteries that is still up for debate.

The answer is probably sitting under my nose in one chapter, but here goes.

Tywin had Ned's greatsword Ice reforged into two blades. One was the sword he gave to Jaime, now called Oathkeeper. But what hapened to the other one, and where is it / who has it now?

Tywin had Ned's greatsword Ice reforged into two blades. One was the sword he gave to Jaime, now called Oathkeeper. But what hapened to the other one, and where is it / who has it now?

The other sword was Widow's Wail and it belonged to Joffrey. When he died, I expect Tommen got it.

Can't be too bad, he was able to fight for a sellsword company and survived it.

Yeah, generally a sense of being good, but nothing specific that you can recall? I can't, but his peers (Dayne, Rhaegar) were pretty much famous for their swordsmanship. Seems to me likely he'd be pretty damn good to hang out in those circles, but then again maybe they just all sit around comparing honor.

Small question came up in another thread...I get a sense of Jon Con as a general, but what's his rep as a fighter? Like Ned's class?

At the Battle of the Bells he grievously wounded Lord Hoster Tully and slew Ser Denys Arryn, heir to the Vale.

I'm kind of wondering why Jeor Mormont didn't leave Longclaw with Maege and her daughters instead of taking it to the wall (after Jorah left it behind, correct?) and subsequently giving it to Jon. I understand his gratitude but those things don't grow on trees. It has to be House Mormont's most valuable family heirloom by an order of magnitude (or three). If I were Maege, Dacey etc I'd be a bit butthurt it wasn't left in my care, not gonna lie.

I'm kind of wondering why Jeor Mormont didn't leave Longclaw with Maege and her daughters instead of taking it to the wall (after Jorah left it behind, correct?) and subsequently giving it to Jon. I understand his gratitude but those things don't grow on trees. It has to be House Mormont's most valuable family heirloom by an order of magnitude (or three). If I were Maege, Dacey etc I'd be a bit butthurt it wasn't left in my care, not gonna lie.

You've got it mixed up.

Jorah left it on Bear Island when he went into exile, after Jeor had already joined the Watch. Maege Mormont became the Lady of Bear Island, and sent Longclaw to Jeor on the Wall. Maege had the chance to keep the sword and chose to give it to her brother, already a Night's Watch member. The situation implies that Maege saw the sword as Jeor's — he'd relinquished his ties to the Mormont family, like all the recruits do — and it was his to do with what he wanted.

You've got it mixed up.

Jorah left it on Bear Island when he went into exile, after Jeor had already joined the Watch. Maege Mormont became the Lady of Bear Island, and sent Longclaw to Jeor on the Wall. Maege had the chance to keep the sword and chose to give it to her brother, already a Night's Watch member. The situation implies that Maege saw the sword as Jeor's — he'd relinquished his ties to the Mormont family, like all the recruits do — and it was his to do with what he wanted.

Ah, ok I missed that, thanks.

Tommen most likely gave Widowswail to Loras. Cersei notices Tommen giving a sword with rubies to Loras when he left for Dragonstone.

@ElizaMartell: I always assumed that LF was referring to the Queen of Thornes as the third, since he is a schemer, I thought he´d respect her most even though she´s not actually a queen.

Spelling.

Tommen most likely gave Widowswail to Loras. Cersei notices Tommen giving a sword with rubies to Loras when he left for Dragonstone.

According to the SSM I posted above, Widow's Wail is being stored in the Red Keep until Tommen is old enough to wield it.

Archived