How would you rate episode 202?

Ran

How would you rate episode 202?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 4. I'm almost done watching the show. I was hoping it would improve from last season but if anything, it's gotten worse. Unnecessary changes, changes for the worse, characters acting out of character from the book, etc. The writing is just mediocre, there's no way around it. It's clear they are targeting a mass audience (which is understandable) but the show and the writing definitely suffers. I just don't get some of the changes, though. Melisandre and Stannis? What the hell, And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And I'm starting to think the show's producers/writers are just looking for excuses to show nudity, lol. Not that I would normally complain, but, the semen scene, wow.

6/10

They have some rather good scenes but the Dragonstone storyline and the portrayal of characters such as Stannis continues to be disappointing, Yara/Asha wasn't as good as I expected and I found the Ros scene unnecessary. I thought the Theon sex scene also went too long and wasn't particularly good scene. Highlights are Balon/Theon scene, Tyrion and Janon Slynt and Tyrion and Cersei scene and Arya scenes. The episode is not bad, its good parts are pretty good, but judging it overall, it is not as good as I had hoped especially with how it handled Stannis.

Edited by Qhorin Halfhand and Yoren

I gave it a 4. I'm almost done watching the show. I was hoping it would improve from last season but if anything, it's gotten worse. Unnecessary changes, changes for the worse, characters acting out of character from the book, etc. The writing is just mediocre, there's no way around it. It's clear they are targeting a mass audience (which is understandable) but the show and the writing definitely suffers. I just don't get some of the changes, though. Melisandre and Stannis? What the hell, And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And I'm starting to think the show's producers/writers are just looking for excuses to show nudity, lol. Not that I would normally complain, but, the semen scene, wow.

I understand the problems people are having with the show, but 4 seems excessively low. The show has to be different from the books simply because of the limitations of the medium. And what's wrong with the Mel/Stannis scene? The books make it pretty clear that she has sex with him. And as far as nudity goes, IIRC every sex scene (except Ros') was either directly or indirectly in the books, and IIRC sex often involves nudity. (And IMO Ros is a good, necessary addition to the show but lets not get into that...)

I gave it a 9. The story telling has improved. Ghost looked cool!

-1 for Ros. Sick and tired of the brothel scenes. They waste so much time and contribute nothing to the story other than sexualising it. There is plenty of sex in the books without having to add more unnecessary stuff. They should let the books guide the content exclusively! There is plenty of story to show without wasting time on this pointless stuff.

Balon/Theon/Asha was well done i thought.

A litte bit slow on the Danny side fo things.

I gave the episode a 9.

Stannis and Melisandre is no change. They sleep together in the books.

As for the "semen scene"... That's what makes you want to turn off? Not the excessive violence?

I gave the episode a 9.

Stannis and Melisandre is no change. They sleep together in the books.

As for the "semen scene"... That's what makes you want to turn off? Not the excessive violence?

They do? Because I sure as shit don't remember that, but I've only read the books one time so maybe I missed that part. But I always thought Stannis was a cold, non-sexual (almost impotent) character who was obsessed with being king and pretty much nothing else.

The semen scene was just totally unnecessary and over the top, but that's just my two cents on it.

I actually disagree with the "Stannis is not changed" opinion.

Of course, Stannis and Mel make little shadow babies, but we don't ever get to see how. In my head I always pictured Stannis doing it out of necessity, while in this episode he was at least partially driven by lust.

That might just be my interpretation of Book Stannis and doesn't have to be the true one, but for me, it is a change.

Now whether that change is good or bad, is another thing. For me, it's becoming a little boring, since basically, everyone is having sex at some point. [i hope they do not decide to add a Varys "and this is how you do it as a eunuch" scene...]

They do? Because I sure as shit don't remember that, but I've only read the books one time so maybe I missed that part. But I always thought Stannis was a cold, non-sexual (almost impotent) character who was obsessed with being king and pretty much nothing else.

The semen scene was just totally unnecessary and over the top, but that's just my two cents on it.

They have sex to produce shadowbabies; Melisandre says that her bed has seen little use after the departure of Stannis (long after they've stopped making shadowbabies); Jon recognises that Melisandre is his true queen. There's plenty of evidence for it.

+ Tyrion's scenes with Cersei and Janos Slynt were both amazing.

+ Pyke was awesome. Balon was spot on and Yara is an improvement over Asha.

+ Jaqen seems perfect.

+ Sallador Saan is great. "I don't want to rape her, I want to fuck her." Indeed.

- No Joffrey. He was the best part of ep 1. Also no Robb who was also great.

- No Renly, so he's only going to be in 2 eps this season, by the looks of it? Nobody will care when he dies.

- They seem to be just throwing LF random crap scenes at this stage to give Aiden Gillan something to do. It's not working.

- Mel promising Stannis a son. This doesn't jive with me. I'm fine with them fucking since it obviously happened in the books, but Stannis wanting to father a bastard boy makes zero sense.

I'm giving it a solid 6.

People are so harsh. Stannis was played pretty well in this ep, and they need to establish Melisandre-as-seductress and Stannis-as-devotee early on (otherwise a whole heap of later actions won't make any sense)... what better way than getting them to fuck on the table shaped like Westeros? Awesome. And Miss Van Houten got her gear off... people are still complaining why??

8/10 for an awesome episode. There were a few wierd moments (Jon racing through the forest in detective mode) but the rest was suitably epic.

Yet again art direction (costumes, set design) is UNREAL.

Edited by mrnegativity

yup, the Stannis-Meli scene, could have been avoided..they should have made it way more subtle or at least avoid showing Stannis as lust-driven or seduced

also, no Balon bitchslaping Theon ? WTF ... they cut their whole scene's impact/climax

and why oh why the Jon-Craster incident ????

Edited by wyman's cook

5 from me.

I liked Tyrion's scene with Slynt, especially the relationship between Bronn and Tyrion.

I also thought the scene with Little Finger in the brothel showed a side to him that's not normally seen. He works so hard to maintain a smooth, gentlemanly demeanour that it was "nice" to see a manipulative, cruel and threatening background.

Also liked seeing Stannis show some human weakness; Jaqen (who I struggled to get an impression of at first when reading the book) and Gendry (who seems so believable).

But overall I felt the episode jumped around too much. The scene-setting and character introductions continued from episode 1. I'm struggling to care about Dany and Arya's situations too.

They have sex to produce shadowbabies; Melisandre says that her bed has seen little use after the departure of Stannis (long after they've stopped making shadowbabies); Jon recognises that Melisandre is his true queen. There's plenty of evidence for it.

I had forgotten about that (there is so much stuff in the books), but TV Stannis is totally different so far than the book version and that scene, ugh. I didn't mind the nudity, though!

Loved it. As per usual. Posted all my thoughts in the discussion thread but I need to emphasise how much that extra Jon/Craster scene rocked. It was a great addition, possibly my favourite added scene so far.

Also, everything Arya was amazing, and Tyrion just keeps getting better and better. "I'm not questioning your honour, just denying its existence." Lad.

Please stop complaining about Stannis & Mel having sex. You all knew they did it, and the shadow baby sequence will make a bit more sense now.

Very sad Rakharro's dead, he was pretty. But it does remind the audience that Dany isn't just skipping through the sunny desert, she's in a lot of danger with enemies all around her.

Edited by HyacinthGirl

Tyrion and Bronn, Tyrion and Cersei, Tyrion and Janos, anything involving Tyrion was stopping time.

Balon and Theon were locked in an amazingly intense scene too.

And Gilly unknowingly touched the very heart of Sam by calling him "brave" :rofl:

Yoren deserves all the "braves" I can find. His character is being threated properly.

Hot Pie was amazing and excellent and flawless and (adjectives continue in the same manner). Dialog about battles was perfect and revealed each character on the spot.

Salador/Davos/Davos' son were perfection too :rofl:

Was dissapointed that they gave so much time to Ros and such, while rushing Arya's trust for Gendry and making her to admit being a Stark to him.

Was not a fan of Joffrey ordering the killings. I almost expect for him to be dressed all in black soon, just to complete the cliche of a villain.

Stannis seems a little petty.

Asha/Yara came across as not so much intelligent or daring (as in the books), but simply spiteful and a brute.