How would you rate episode 202?

Ran

How would you rate episode 202?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Today I deliberately went on various entertainment sites and read comments there. It differs like day and night from people, who have read the books,and those, who didn't. Viewers who just watch the show are amazed how good the episode was...

I've read all the books and I thought the episode was good. I'm not expecting great episodes until the latter part of the season though. Honestly, I don't mind a few changes here and there. It's not because I didn't like how the books were written originally, I just don't think the changes are that big of a deal yet. Overall, I think the show is fantastic, even when considered as an adaption rather than a free standing entity. I'm sure George would agree. It's his world and even he's more relaxed about it than you guys are.

Edited by Andrés Garcia

I am going to give this episode an 8/10. I thought that the episode was great with a number of excellent character building scenes but was still setting up the core of the season.

The Good:

I loved the subtle handling of some of the characters in this episode. A particular stand out for me was building Sam’s character. He was a thinly drawn character in the first season, a sidekick for Jon Snow who gave him advice but here for the first time he gets an opportunity to shine. I love what Jon Bradley does with the character and I enjoy the changes that D&D have made (particularly in reference to girls). The moment that Gilly called Sam brave was one of those few heart warming episodes that reminds us that this world is very human. I also challenge those people struggling with the adaptation to knock the way that Sam is portrayed. A second example is the relationship between Davos and Stannis. The scene where Davos and Matthos are discussing religion and gods is fantastic. This small scene has done wonders for the entire Dragonstone storyline and I feel now as though I understand the respect that Davos has for his King. Liam Cunningham is hitting it out of the park with the role of Davos!

The entire Arya arc in this episode was a joy to watch unfolding on the screen. At first I was concerned that there would be little payoff to the cliffhanger from “The North Remembers”, but again this story was filled with nuance and all of the actors involved were brilliant. The scene with Yoren and the Goldcloaks was also a touch of class and I look forward to seeing where this story will go from here.

King’s Landing was stellar once again, Peter Dinklage continues to impress as Tyrion Lannister, I could rave about those scenes all day!

The Brothel scene was a stroke of genius in my opinion. The writers really show two things with this scene; the first is another window into the character of Petyr Baelish. We know now how Petyr rose so high in court, he is ruthless and manipulative, it was good to see another facet of the character. The second aspect showed how some of the common people feel about the way that the Gold Cloaks massacre of the bastards is affecting public opinion. Much better that the previous Littlefinger-Ros scene.

The Bad:

I am missing Catelyn this season. I noticed in the discussions of the previous episode that people were complaining that Ros has had more screentime than Dany? Well what about Catelyn?! I am looking forward to catching up on her story soon.

Overall I feel that this episode continues to set up the rest of the season’s arc, but I thought that the montage at the end of “The North Remembers” would kickstart the season in a similar way to the final scene of “Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things”, but I was wrong. This was a slower episode that builds up the fantastic characters of the series, adding more layers to each of them. The end of the episode fell flat for me, but I am looking forward to seeing where we go from here...!

I liked the Asha/Theon scene and wordplay. Why did they rename her? And she appears so different than described/

too soft, no beak. The sex stuuf between them was at least relatively faithful to the book.

The Stannis/Mel sex was a little over the top - why on the Painted Table in a rush of passion, rather than in a private room with a rush of duty.

LF is getting too much screen time and is carrying too much of the narration of the story. I wonder why they are relatively good at conveying the nature of characters more subtly but LF has to be spelled out.

Agree Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie, Lommy well done. "that;s not very lady like"

EXTREMELY glad they are using Dolorous Edd.

I'm having trouble understanding some of the lines - maybe need to activate CC.

Also the girl on girl sex scenes are excessive in number and detail and gratuitous. To me.

I gave it a 6, the lowest rating I have given any episode. I didn't care about all the minor changes as long as they keep the major plot lines in place, and I am worried they messed up two of them.

The husband on the other hand (non-book reader) still gives it an 8 or 9. He didn't like the Ros crying scene, but loved most everything else.

I've seen quite a few people say this. But how do you even get it up when you're only doing it for duty?

The Lord of Light has many abilities some would consider to be...unnatural.

Oh, gave it an eight, for what it's worth.

Edited by Mr. E

I've seen quite a few people say this. But how do you even get it up when you're only doing it for duty?

It's very similar to trying to get pregnant for a long time - basing the act on time of day, day of month, etc. It takes the fun out of it and makes it work/duty. That is what Stannis should have looked like - not "I can finally have a SON?!?!" and jump on her. A bastard son as well.

Gave it an 8.

First 2 episodes down, so far so good. Rather than comment on the storylines Im going to address the new/newer characters.

New casting is not what Id pictured but so far all seem to be doing a good job.

Milisandre - Should have been more exotic, sexy, flirtatious.

Davos - Excellent

Theons sister, Yara - Pictured her as slimmer, more athletic, prettier even with a strong nose.

Balon Grayjoy - Suitably creepy, could have played Walden Frey if older.

Craster - Too clean, intelligent, unthreatening.

Gilly - Acceptable

Captains Daughter - Great fit to the book.

Stannis - Spot on but I just dont like the actor.

Jagen H'ghar - Good, need to see more.

Salladhor Saan - Mixed feelings, I like his dialogue but not his delivery.

Gendry - Just perfect.

For the first time last night Cersei actually looked attractive. (Must be the cheekbones) She was just too drawn in the face before and those wigs suck.

Edited by Ser Graymax

I gave it a 7. I was feeling generous because the scenery at Pike was done wonderfully. Otherwise, it played like a soap opera. The scenes with Davos were excellent. The LF/Roz scene was worthless. Otherwise, too much was changed from the book, in the interest of getting to the "good stuff" sooner within a 10 episode season. Maybe I was too generous.

The show brought me to the books. For that, I will always be extremely grateful. That being said, I am a bit nonplussed by the bit with Jon following Craster. Wha?!?!? Really? I don't know what that will accomplish. Someone please explain it to me. Gently, though. . . :bang:

Continue to love Arya, Gendry, and Sam. Fantastic! Looking forward to more Davos, Edd, and Balon Greyjoy.

I wish I could have liked it as much as the rest of you. Just talked about it with a buddy of mine and he agreed with my point of view.

I gave it a 4. I know, I know it was meant to be a build the plot -- but I was rather bored in the meantime. The scene with Ros and LF seemed to go on for 15 minutes - as did the scene with Dany's bloodrider -- neither or which held any value to me.

Maybe if I had not read the books I woul dneed those scenes -- but can't see why.

My fear is that they really will veer off from the book - as, for example, the seeming importance of Gendry - when he is basically lost as far as I can tell in the novels. Might as well not spend as much time on it on TV.

I do seem to be in the minority here - but I have always been a tough sell. Then again - I also think the novels are tediously long at times with a heck of a lot of filler that is unneeded - so maybe that is what they are doing here as well.

Don't get me wrong [since I am new to these boards] - I do love the story - just don't love the execution entirely.

I gave it a 6, the lowest rating I have given any episode. I didn't care about all the minor changes as long as they keep the major plot lines in place, and I am worried they messed up two of them.

The husband on the other hand (non-book reader) still gives it an 8 or 9. He didn't like the Ros crying scene, but loved most everything else.

Yeah, I gave it a 6 too. I was extremely disappointed in Asha/Yara. No humor or devil-may-care at all. Just a flat character. And has anyone discovered why they decided to change her name? Did it sound too similar to Arya or something? And "Yara" doesn't? :totally confused:

I get where they're going with having so much emphasis on the brothels/Ros, etc. there's a lot of things that are hinted at in the books that can be made clear through these scenes. And it gives the show a chance for more NUDITY! Yay! :P

Pike was really great looking. Balon... not so much. Why do all these old, grizzled characters show up looking so good? I imagined Yoren, for example, to be a lot more skanked out looking. That reminds me, have we seen old Frye yet? If he shows up looking under 90, I'm going to kick the TV.

The show brought me to the books. For that, I will always be extremely grateful. That being said, I am a bit nonplussed by the bit with Jon following Craster. Wha?!?!? Really? I don't know what that will accomplish. Someone please explain it to me. Gently, though. . . :bang:

I thought that scene was the best in the show--but as to your question: I think it just came down to the producers wanting a way to get across the horrific means Craster has of keeping his lands while reminding the watching audience of the actual presence of the WW, which is something that has not been seen since the first part of the first episode of the first season.

I love the show in general, but this episode only rated a 4 with me, when last week I rated episode 1 a 10. I am so sick and tired of Ros and the brothel and feel those scenes are such a waste of time that could have been better spent on extending and developing other scenes like the ones with Asha/Theon going up to Pyke, more with Arya, show as much Tyrion as possible please, and Dany's three blood riders came back to her - one did not die. Why was that necessary?

The best part was Ghost. I thought the ending was mixed up as well and did not make much sense, with Jon and Craster....

I refuse to give the show anything but 10 because of production values and the cast.

That said it's like the 201. Are D&D afraid there won't be a S3? Even knowing it's not true, almost seems as if they are trying to shoe horn all of CoK into one season. Don't mind the deviations, but have to watch a episode at least 3 times to catch what happened. Keep hoping things will slow down. Hate to say it, because D&D are such fine writers, but almost seems as they were overworked , and from what they say seems they are. The first season was the product of work that went on for three years from 2007 to 2010. Now I am sure D&D spent time on S2 before S1 started filming, in fact I think they have said they blocked out the teleplays as far as they could. But when push comes to shove, it seems picking and preparing Dubrovnik and Iceland took place in 2011, so that seems a lot of work. Well Bryan Cogman and Vanessa Taylor wrote the next two episodes, hopefully they had more time to mull (yes I know D&D had the final input).

A whole lot happens on the road with Gendry and Arya, thought they summarized that quite well. Tom Wlaschiha finally on stage and says something, brief! I even thought in the book once Jaqen H'ghar had his appearance George would give more elaboration, but that does not come until later, and even then seems slim, H'ghar is supposed to be mysterious but knowing , now, the rest of the FM story, he's as opaque as welders goggles.

Edited by boojam

I rated it a solid 9. I'm not yet comfortable with some of the changes they are making with the books, but I thought as a show it was fantastic. I connected with many of the characters and arcs. I loved the scenery and the costumes. The only major costume issue I have is Cersei's horrible hair. It looks so incredibly fake that it's distracting. The least they could have done to make it somewhat believable was to dye her eyebrows a shade lighter.

My favorite scene was the fish pie conversation with Shae, Varys, and Tyrion. I cringed and I laughed. Dolorous Edd also had me laughing my arse off.

Enjoying the season so far.. I don't really have any complaints, other than..

I was really looking forward to meeting Asha/Yara, it was one of the funniest things in the book. I would have liked to see her mess with Theon a bit more before revealing herself. But it's small potatoes, there is so much ground to cover I can't really blame them.

To me it just doesn't do to get hung up over changes from the book. It is an HBO series.. and much more enjoyable if you try to watch it as a TV series, and not a strict adaptation. I enjoy the things they change up, because I like being surprised. if everything was 100% faithful to the book it would get boring.

And has anyone discovered why they decided to change her name? Did it sound too similar to Arya or something? And "Yara" doesn't? :totally confused:

Well that question has been hang fire for a year now. As far as I know it's never been directly posed to D&D.

Did they make the change or was it at HBO's request? Still does not make a lot of sense.

Gemma Whelan is ok by me, tho why they have chosen to homley-fie her, well a little, is a bit of a mystery.

Gemma is not Catherine Deneuve, but have seen Gemma in other productions and seems her appearance could have fit George's better. Supposedly she and Alfie auditioned together so well D&D thought they had to get her. Indeed in E2 they did play off each other well...(again so brief!), but they skipped the Shakespearean mistaken identity 'horse' play that was so effective in the book. Make's one wish they did a 'director's' cut of the episode!