How would you rate episode 202?

Ran

How would you rate episode 202?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Rains. It would just be neat if they were thinking that far ahead. I doubt it. But it'd still be a nice teaser. And they have to play it a couple times for the coup de grace otherwise folks won't appreciate the significance.

Lol, that would be cool. I don't think they'll make it obvious, more like an easter egg. I want them to play more songs in general, especially "A bear there was, A BEAR! A BEAR!"

eta: the whistling I mean. I hope it will be obvious during the red/purple weddings, especially the red one.

Edited by DannySpud

**There is NO mystery in the HBO series, ever.** Everything is constantly being smashed over your head, like the viewers are idiots.

Firstly, I agree with everything you say about Stannis. I thought he was quite good in the first ep, but the scene with Melisandre was dire.

However, the part I've quoted is vital, because you have to understand that for all their fanfare and praise, Deadwood, The Wire, Battlestar etc. never had particularly good ratings. GOT is balancing between faithfulness to GRRM and having to dumb down for audiences (including the casual viewer)

Gave it 7 because I love the books, would've been lower.

Asha/Yara is TERRIBLY casted. Where did they find that fat girl with baby , plump face. I hoped that promo pics ere wrong but , alas.. As the stupid name change wasn't enough.

I hate to be crude, but I agree. She simply is not attractive enough to play Asha.

Shortened thoughts because the site crashed on me last night.

All in all, this was probably the worst GOT episode so far. The Stannis/Melisandre scene was very poor and does not really pay homage to the Stannis of the books. I was likewise very disappointed by the final scene (why did Craster need to knock Jon out?), the pointless brothel scene (Aidan Gillen is a great actor, it doesn't mean he always needs something to do) and the changes regarding Rakharo's death (unnecessary) and Davos' seeming atheism (though it is ages since I read ACOK, I'm 99% sure he was always strong in the faith of the Seven)

However, there were some very good bits. Yoren was great, as were the other Arya scenes (though again I'm somewhat annoyed by the deviation from the book), while Dinklage's scenes were strong throughout. I also think the casting of Salladhoor Saan is very good, and Ghost looked very good (though wtf can Sam control him?) In conclusion, a very average episode, deserving of only a 4 or 5.

I gave the first episode an 8 and really would have given the second a 9.The drama factor really kicked in here,whereas it was naturally absent in E1 due to it being a scene setter.

The Tyrion scenes were amazing and the line to Slynt,"I'm not questioning your honour,I'm denying it's existence" was priceless.

Great to see Arya and Gendry.The Theon scenes were great,but tinged with a sense of tragedy for me.

I like Davos' Merseyside accent.This is shaping up to be at least as good,if not better than Season 1.

Gave it a miserly 8,but really 8.5.

Edited by redriver

good points:

arya + gendry = super cute

tyrion's dismissal of janos slynt

sallador saan was spot on!

balon was superb, finally the audience might "get" theon

yoren was proper badass

pyke was beautiful, my girlfriend commented on it immediately

davos.

mixed feelings:

craster and jon cliffhanger. I agree with whoever speculated that jon will wake up the next day and craster will deny everything. whole scene was a bit clunky though, didn't feel right.

yara greyjoy. asha is one of my favourites and I'm not so sure about the actress playing her. The meeting with theon did NOT live up to how great that scene was in the book

stannis and mel. we all know they've been making babies shadows. Didn't expect stannis to enjoy it so much. Mel manipulating him with the need for a son seemed like unecessary justification for him to sex her.

tyrion puts bronn in charge of the gold cloaks?? book tyrion is not that silly, but tv audiences would not even understand the complexities of westeros well enough to understand why that is stupid. so it doesn't really matter.

don't care:

rakharo dies. served a purpose to remind us that dany has enemies at all sides. the question is will they kill doreah in the wastes? imo they'll keep her alive for a lot longer

dolorous ed's "witticisms" weren't funny. they better make him funnier.

the sex scenes. imo they should serve more of a purpose, but I'm not grabbing torch and pitchfork over it. Some people on here are such prudes apparrently. "semen! oh my!"

bad points:

ros + littlefinger. wasn't as bad as that cersei + littlefinger scene last week.

joffrey ordered the killing of the bastards. I guess they want cersei to be slightly less hateable or something? why?

still dirty about the lack of patchface. shadows come to dance my lord

I gave this episode a 7, last week I gave a 6. Hopefully next week we'll get catelyn + renly's entourage. also sansa and robb were missed. Still wondering how they'll handle the north situation with no reek or reeds cast.

Edited by miguel sanchez

I've gave it 5. While in the first episode I was mostly frustrated about the casting issues, in the current one my point of concern was the blatant adding of unnecessary footage.

Some people here are saying, that it was necessary to show Stannis and Mellisandre sharing their body fluids atop of the map of Westeros, as it was necessary to show in the first season Renly getting a blowjob from Ser Loras. Well, I disagree with you. There is no need to chow every bit of info from the books to help the audience swallow it - GRRM haven't showed this stuff "on-screen" in his writing for a purpose - he was aiming to a bit more intelligent reader. And the film directors are definitely trying hard to make this season more RATING-vice than QUALITY-vice. Maybe they'll add some cameo appearance of Harry Potter in the sixth episode? It also can increase the DVD sells afterwards... Chuck Norris can also save the day!

I have no problem with the vivacity of the sex scenes - GRRM provided plenty of these thro out his books. But all of these brothel sequences with an non existing Ros character (who is fucking her way thru the whole Westeros - and with the help of the script writers maybe will sit the Iron Throne some day) is a waste of a screen time - and we all know - that ten one-hour-episodes are clearly not enough to cover all of ACOK.

The Iron Islands part was OK. Asha (it is really awkward for me to call her Yara) is nothing like I always imagined her, and Balon Greyjoy is a bit too young, but they are bearable...

Two moments that pissed me off were: the death of one of Dany's bloodriders - Aggo, Jhogo and Rakharo are alive thro out all of the books - so why are you killing one of them? And also the encounter of Jon in the woods with Craster smuggling his son - as far as ADWD we have no curtain knowledge of what was the fate of his children. So why do the script writers are taking so much freedom in revealing all of GRRM's secrets so soon?

I've just realized, that the guy with the beard that is talking to Jon/Sam/Grenn is Dolorous Edd - I thought it was Pyp who's grown a beard! Now that's a Hell of a BAD casting job!!! It's turning worse with every moment. And Rorge is looking just filthy, not menacing at all (and he's got a nose!).

Edited by Vic-tarion Rattlehead

I've gave it 5. While in the first episode I was mostly frustrated about the casting issues, in the current one my point of concern was the blatant adding of unnecessary footage.

Some people here are saying, that it was necessary to show Stannis and Mellisandre sharing their body fluids atop of the map of Westeros, as it was necessary to show in the first season Renly getting a blowjob from Ser Loras. Well, I disagree with you. There is no need to chow every bit of info from the books to help the audience swallow it - GRRM haven't showed this stuff "on-screen" in his writing for a purpose - he was aiming to a bit more intelligent reader. And the film directors are definitely trying hard to make this season more RATING-vice than QUALITY-vice. Maybe they'll add some cameo appearance of Harry Potter in the sixth episode? It also can increase the DVD sells afterwards... Chuck Norris can also save the day!

Well clearly his readers aren't intelligent as he'd like, as Loras/Renly and Mel/Stannis are quite obvious in the novels and yet so many readers seem oblivious to them.

Two moments that pissed me off were: the death of one of Dany's bloodriders - Aggo, Jhogo and Rakharo are alive thro out all of the books - so why are you killing one of them? And also the encounter of Jon in the woods with Craster smuggling his son - as far as ADWD we have no curtain knowledge of what was the fate of his children. So why do the script writers are taking so much freedom in revealing all of GRRM's secrets so soon?

The actor who plays Rakharo got offered a bigger role. So, instead of having him disappear, they killed him and let Doreah live instead.

It's also pointed out in the books that Craster sacrifices his sons. We don't know what happens to the sons, but we know that they get sacrificed.

I have no problem with the vivacity of the sex scenes - GRRM provided plenty of these thro out his books. But all of these brothel sequences with an non existing Ros character (who is fucking her way thru the whole Westeros - and with the help of the script writers maybe will sit the Iron Throne some day) is a waste of a screen time - and we all know - that ten one-hour-episodes are clearly not enough to cover all of ACOK.

The Iron Islands part was OK. Asha (it is really awkward for me to call her Yara) is nothing like I always imagined her, and Balon Greyjoy is a bit too young, but they are bearable...

I've just realized, that the guy with the beard that is talking to Jon/Sam/Grenn is Dolorous Edd - I thought it was Pyp who's grown a beard! Now that's a Hell of a BAD casting job!!! It's turning worse with every moment. And Rorge is looking just filthy, not menacing at all (and he's got a nose!).

Balon Greyjoy too young?Patrick Malahide is 67 years old.

What age do you think Balon is?

Well clearly his readers aren't intelligent as he'd like, as Loras/Renly and Mel/Stannis are quite obvious in the novels and yet so many readers seem oblivious to them.

The actor who plays Rakharo got offered a bigger role. So, instead of having him disappear, they killed him and let Doreah live instead.

It's also pointed out in the books that Craster sacrifices his sons. We don't know what happens to the sons, but we know that they get sacrificed.

There is a big difference between implying things thru clues and knowing facts for sertain - have you seen Renly at the last Pride Parade in Berlin? No? So why are you outright outing him? Everything should come at its proper time - if you want the movie to be reliable for the book hardcore fans. They re-casted Ser Gregor, not killed him - so it wasn't mandatory to kill Rakharo, they just could find another actor.

And what exactly is so obvious about Melisandre bedding Lord-Broomstickuphisass-Stannis? Can you quote for me where it said in the books? And please don't start with this shadow babies nonsense - she used blood, not sperm to create her spawns.

Balon Greyjoy too young?Patrick Malahide is 67 years old.

What age do you think Balon is?

Let's see... The First Greyjoy rebellion took place 9 years before the starting of GOT and Theon was already 10 years old (with him being Balon youngest son). Theons elder brothers both took part in the rebellion, so the oldest of them should be at least 15 (at this age Balon himself killed his first man) then he was killed. So inclining that he fathered his first son at the age of what... 16? We'll have this sum - 16+15+9= The Iron King should be at least 40 years old - and you should keep in mind, that in the middle ages people didn't just lived happily till the age of 88 like in our times, and they looked older - especially a seasoned reaver like Balon, who's whole life was dedicated to warfare and permanent stress.

He shouldn't look as old as Maester Aemon of cause, but still - in the series he looks a bit too young.

Let's see... The First Greyjoy rebellion took place 9 years before the starting of GOT and Theon was already 10 years old (with him being Balon youngest son). Theons elder brothers both took part in the rebellion, so the oldest of them should be at least 15 (at this age Balon himself killed his first man) then he was killed. So inclining that he fathered his first son at the age of what... 16? We'll have this sum - 16+15+9= The Iron King should be at least 40 years old - and you should keep in mind, that in the middle ages people didn't just lived happily till the age of 88 like in our times, and they looked older - especially a seasoned reaver like Balon, who's whole life was dedicated to warfare and permanent stress.

He shouldn't look as old as Maester Aemon of cause, but still - in the series he looks a bit too young.

Sooo,you've worked out that Balon is in his forties and then concluded that a 67yr old is too young looking to play him?

Ookay....... :dunno:

I gave it a 7. Loved the Pyke (amazing cinematography) and the Greyjoys (amazing cast), and everything involving Arya.

I think it helps at this point that I haven't read ACoK in, what, 2-3 years? I can hardly remember all the details, so when the show goes astray (because I get the feeling that it's kinda starting to) it mostly goes over my head and I can still enjoy the beautiful work of art this series is.

Also, three cheers for Ros with her clothes on.

I give it an 8 because I did not like the Ros+LF scene. A waste of valuable time and Daenerys scene of too short. I Would have liked more Ghost and Jon. Apart form those points I did like everything in the episode. Tyrion time with Cercei, Jjanos Slynt and Vary as a delight.

I Loved Pyke ( really as i pictured it) and the way Asha was portrayed (Tom boy). I did not expect to see Sallador San or even Davos son so that was a good surprise and of course a plus.

Edited by ghost the direwolf

i gave it a 5 out of 10 and i think im being very generous. the book is raw and certainly there is sex, but really now,it seems the tv adaptation is just playing to the masses. and im very disturbed about the portrayal of stannis. i thought of stannis has the hardened capable battlefield commander, who inspired loyalty of his men. in the tv series he starts off as weak and easily manipulated by melisandre, and the sex scene is totally out of character. but i've read the books so........

tyrion scenes are spot on and carrying the show in my opinion.

The HBO series is it's own animal. Comparing the book, your understanding of the book, and the episodes doesn't give the series much of a chance. You have to put the book aside and understand that if the author has given his blessings to D & D to interpret his work, and is consulted during this process, then I think everyone needs to step back and give the series a chance to succeed on its own merits.

I'm giving it a 6/7

+Liked the Davos and Salladhor scene

+Jaqen looks impressive and fits what I thought he looked like

+Tyrion and Janos scene was good

+ The ending was great

+Balon looks like I imagined

-Didn't like the long Theon sex scene with the captain's daughter

-Don't like Asha being changed to Yara

-Brothel scene was pretty pointless