How would you rate episode 202?

Ran

How would you rate episode 202?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I give it a 5, and only that because it is still what is it. HBO is starting to irritate me though. Sure, they need to change some things to fit the limited time, but so much? For example, doesn't Gilly tell Jon that the boy babies are given to the gods? Why couldn't they just add that line and throw out Jon running into the woods after Craster with a baby?

Now, I see a lot of people are unhappy about some of the sex. I understand that it IS HBO and apparently they have a sex quota to fill for each show they produce. But the time they spend on sex could really be used to further the actual plot. They might even be able to reduce some of the changes they make due to time constraints. On a side note, I don't understand what it is with tv and doggy style nowadays. Anyway....

I can accept these things. Once they give me more dragons, then I will be a happy girl.

The thing that bugged me most was Asha (seriously, they changed her name? I didn’t even catch that. Why bother changing it??) Her ride to Pyke with Theon is one of my favorite parts of the book! The banter is awesome! His shock when he learned the truth was funny! That COULD have been one of the best scenes of the show! It ended up being very disappointing. There was no banter, she LET him feel her up, which was just creepy, and the girl is not hot (not offense intended to the actress). Asha in my head is HOT. She’s a HOT pirate, bad@ss, “omg I want to her!” chick! This chick also seems a bit on the shy side. Asha? Greyjoy? Shy?? No way.

There is a big difference between implying things thru clues and knowing facts for sertain - have you seen Renly at the last Pride Parade in Berlin? No? So why are you outright outing him? Everything should come at its proper time - if you want the movie to be reliable for the book hardcore fans. They re-casted Ser Gregor, not killed him - so it wasn't mandatory to kill Rakharo, they just could find another actor.

And what exactly is so obvious about Melisandre bedding Lord-Broomstickuphisass-Stannis? Can you quote for me where it said in the books? And please don't start with this shadow babies nonsense - she used blood, not sperm to create her spawns.

Renly is gay. He doesn't need outing.

Gregor Clegane was recast because he's an important character. Rakharo is not important to the story.

Mel says that her bed has seen little use since Stannis left. They also share a tent. What else do you think was going on?

Ok.

I really don't understand this "there's too much sex in the HBO show" thing. I hear it constantly on this forum, and it confuses the hell out of me. The show doesn't show even 10 percent of the sex and debauchery that takes place in the books. There is a scene in the books where a woman at Harrenhall known to sleep with Lannister soldiers is locked naked in the stocks in the middle of a courtyard so the men can come up and rape her any time they feel like it. There is a scene where Euron's men strip and entire family of sisters naked and make them serve them dinner, and one of the Ironborn starts to rape one of them on the table as her little sisters watch and cry. Neither of these scenes forwarded the plot in any way, or let us learn something about the characters that we didn't already know.

I can promise you that neither of these scenes will make it into the show.

The HBO show has been practically puritanical compared to the shit we see in the books. I'm confused as to how someone can read something of this nature and be totally fine, yet suddenly be offended when they see a tiny fraction of it on screen.

Edited by salt

Mel says that her bed has seen little use since Stannis left. They also share a tent. What else do you think was going on?

In my opinion this is one of the most commonly misunderstood lines from the books- directly after saying this Mel talks about how at all hours of the night she has been frantically searching the flames for any sign of Stannis. I think this line was referring to the fact that with Stannis marching off to war she is constantly worried about her Azor Ahai, not that she hasn't been having sex with him.

However, I certainly think the shadow babies were made through sex, you don't get pregnant with blood.

Edited by salt

Ok.

I really don't understand this "there's too much sex in the HBO show" thing. I hear it constantly on this forum, and it confuses the hell out of me. The show doesn't show even 10 percent of the sex and debauchery that takes place in the books. There is a scene in the books where a woman at Harrenhall known to sleep with Lannister soldiers is locked naked in the stocks in the middle of a courtyard so the men can come up and rape her any time they feel like it. There is a scene where Euron's men strip and entire family of sisters naked and make them serve them dinner, and one of the Ironborn starts to rape one of them on the table as her little sisters watch and cry.

The HBO show has been practically puritanical compared to the shit we see in the books. I'm confused as to how someone can read something of this nature and be totally fine, yet suddenly be offended when they see a tiny fraction of it on screen.

I'm not of the "too much sex" camp, but to be fair, I believe the argument is that the sex scenes in the show are gratuitous and don't serve a purpose and the screen-time could be put to better use. That's a bit more nuanced (and reasonable) than saying "I don't like all the sex on HBO" (though there certainly are people saying that).

With that said, I think most of the sex scenes do serve a purpose. For Theon, it's how we learn what he's thinking ala sexposition. I think he may actually have more lines mid-coitus than otherwise. For Mel/Stan & Loras/Renly, it's because a lot of viewers won't pick up on the hints and be totally oblivious to the relationships. In addition, TV is a visual medium, so I think whenever the showrunners get to show sex that is "necessary" they take it because its supposed to be visually stimulating... It may be playing to the "lowest common denominator," but to justify more seasons of a show this expensive, it needs to be more than just critically acclaimed. There is a tradeoff here between having a show that is identical to the books and having a show period. I got into this universe from the show-side (and later reading the books) so I appreciate how the adaptation differs, but also how remarkably well they've captured this world.... It's a balancing act, and if that means giving the smallfolk some T/A, violence, or what have you to keep their attention, let's do it!

Edited by SerBarristan

6/10 My knee jerk reaction to this last episode was one of disgust I almost gave this a rating of like 3/10 but, I watched the episode again in non-fanboy mode and had somewhat of a change of heart. I really love the the way Tyrion is continued to be portrayed I look forward to his scenes as much as i looked forward to reading his chapters.I love the way him and Bronn interact they seem like they are probably good friends off screen and it shows in their performances. I like how they handled Theon's homecoming it was true to his first chapter in ACOK although I felt the scenes were rushed and was missing him meeting a very changed uncle before he rode up to see his father. I don't like this introduction to Asha/Yara we got I think the woman playing her missed what the character is about and apparently the writers did too it should've been Yara fondling Theon not the other way around. They should've included the feast as well to really put Theon in his proper place as a total outsider.I'm not sure if I can endure another dumb ass Ros scene, for someone who wasn't even a sentence in the books she sure chews up the damn scenery. I can dig why they put in Petyr scenes as they need to develop his character but I feel they could do that with more scenes with Varys and him or Tyrion or someone other than whores that really don't add anything important or interesting to the story. I think they have done a fine job with Davos, I like the actor playing him, I feel like the man did his homework and is doing the character justice. I don't like the man playing Stannis but I feel that was done on purpose, Stannis is a total douche in the books I've never liked him and the actor helps achieve this effect without trying. Salladhor Saan is also another pretty spot on performance, I think he's gonna be good comic relief for the whole Stannis/Davos storyline. The woman playing Melisandre is a bit more plain then I would've pictured but I think her acting may yet shine through and she'll end up doing the character justice (at least I hope).Arya's scenes are very spot on but again I feel like they are being rushed. I like the rapport that Arya has with Gendry on screen it doesn't seem faked and that is very important for their part of the story. All the supporting roles surrounding those characters are very spot on as well especially Yoren and Hot Pie the writers just need to slow things down a bit. I've been pretty happy with Dany's storyline so far even after they killed her blood rider and her Silver, neither were essential to the story and that really conveyed the direness of her situation. The real thing that bothered me was the last few minutes of the episode I just don't understand why that had to happen. Jon is a very important character and if they plan on moving the story forward they shouldn't be spending too much time at Craster's keep as there is a lot story beyond that setting. Whatever the writers have planned for Jon at Craster's I hope they wrap it up in the next episode and move on. I would've given this episode a higher rating but the whole brothel/twist ending kinda pissed me off.

In ADwD Mel mentions that with Stannis gone she has no use of her bed. That is confirmation.

ETA: For some reason the iPhone app won't let me quote things. So this post and the next were about the revelation that Stannis/Mel were sleeping together.

Edited by Lord Godric

I enjoyed the episode and gave it an eight.

Love: Tyrion and Cercei. In that moment you can see Tyrion has figured out that his sister is weak. They sure do know how to push each other's buttons!

Arya and Gendry. "That's not very ladylike."

Delorious Edd. "We were having a serious conversation."

Sallador Saan. I can't wait to see more of him.

Jaquen Haagar. More!!

Pyke. The scenes were awesome!

Ghost!

Not Sure:

Stannis and Mel. I understand the need for the scene, but it was still weird and unStannis like.

Theon and the Captain's Daughter. The way he treated her made me cringe way more than in the book. I guess I could have put that in the love category for the strong reaction, but I have a hard time watching that scene!

Craster smacking Jon. Huh?

Also, this is weird, but I LOVE the details they are putting into Dragonstone. I love the dragon claw (do dragons have claws or talons?) glasses in the first episode and I love the sound of the waves crashing during the Stannis and Mel scene. It kinda makes it a little bit unsettling. Well, more so than it already was.

Edited by Dornish Hen

Edit: minor point, but why is Tyrion suddenly such a whistler?

That isnt a minor point to me! In the book he is always humming "their" song (his and Tysha's) I guess the speakers pick up whistling better. Maybe it is for those of us familiar with the book - even if they never explain it, we know what it is. Or not. Just my take.

Some very harsh criticism here. Most non-readers are loving it from what I can work out, especially my mates. And there's not even been much action yet. I do feel it was weaker than ep1 slightly, so maybe a 7 would be a good grade.

The brothel scenes are indeed getting irritating now - it's not even a particularly entertaining set to look at while they're talking. I was so bored during the Littlefinger scene.

The greyjoy scene where Theon meets Balon has got to be one of my favourite scenes in the entire show so far, and easily my favourite of the series so far. The casting's been nailed, and every line was said with such conviction. How on earth can anyone call the writing sloppy when there's scenes like that? Visually, Pyke looked fantastic too.

Also, contrary to a few people, I loved the Stannis and Mel scene. Perhaps it was rushed a bit - they could have drawn it out, and made it a climax and shortened the brothel rubbish. But, I dunno, the way he knocked all the pieces off the table as he did it...there was something symbolic about it - especially the way it kept switching to 'foot shots'. It was really well pieced together.

Agreed with everything Vic-tarion Rattlehead said, but even more so, just love that handle! That's old school my friend! Killing is very much Vic's business (both of em).

Can't really say anything that hasn't been said a dozen times here. Boo Ros. Boo brothel scenes. Stannis ... overcome by passion?! -- Boo

Salador Saan is Lysene isn't he? IIRC, aren't they described as being a notably pale people? The actor did a great job, the change works, and I'm not a stupid redneck that is bothered by such a change, but I'm just curious if I'm imagining this or not.

Hey HBO, I understand you like to stuff in all the sex scenes you can, but do me a favour and skip the ones where the people involved are hideous. Could really have done without seeing those nasty dugs on the boat.

Well, I'm all caught now. I saw S2E2 twice now. the second time on HBO GO with the interactive explanations. I also read the synopsis on IMDB.

I never read the books. I gave the episode a 7. I thought Tyrion's character was great and Peter suburb. all the acting is first class. The art direction is wonderful and Pyke, was ver picturesque .

From the very beginning of me watching this series, I thought the sex scenes gratuitous, and I agree the brothel semen scene, was not necessary, and Theon's "passing his time on the ship" sex scene as IMDB phrased it, with the homely Captain's daughter, also unnessary. We already his full frontal scene in season 1. What's the point of the repition?

I like the ending being scary as the Whitewalkers take the baby.

But why is a father sacrificing his baby boys like that?

As a reader, yeah: 4.

As a watcher, apretty good 7.

I think we can all agree Littlefinger/Ros was superfluous. After reading this thread, that point has been beaten to death. Having Craster whack Jon was a little jarring also.

The kid's scene was perfect, I thought. Sounded just like kids bickering.

I do wish that Stannis/Mel was offstage though. And that Janos Slynt had called himself Janos Slynt.

Ok.

I really don't understand this "there's too much sex in the HBO show" thing. I hear it constantly on this forum, and it confuses the hell out of me. The show doesn't show even 10 percent of the sex and debauchery that takes place in the books. There is a scene in the books where a woman at Harrenhall known to sleep with Lannister soldiers is locked naked in the stocks in the middle of a courtyard so the men can come up and rape her any time they feel like it. There is a scene where Euron's men strip and entire family of sisters naked and make them serve them dinner, and one of the Ironborn starts to rape one of them on the table as her little sisters watch and cry. Neither of these scenes forwarded the plot in any way, or let us learn something about the characters that we didn't already know.

Agreed. Spartacus has more sex in the first 15 minutes of any given episode than GOT had the entire first season. Sex is a theme in the books and we see all the various facets of sex. Sex is used for power and love and is another tool in the Game of Thrones for some. Also, it has a way of showing the different culturals and their attitude towards sex.