How would you rate episode 202?

Ran

How would you rate episode 202?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I wasn't impressed with this episode.

A big personal difference is that I read all the books after watching the first series, but I don't think that is a problem. I'm happy that a different medium needs to be adapted, and am intrigued by the differences introduced.

I am one of those who thinks there is too much sex. Yes, there is sex in the books, but I find a lot of that poor ad well.

Highpoints;

Pyle Castle

Balon / Theon

Tyrion /Janos

Arya

Ok.

I really don't understand this "there's too much sex in the HBO show" thing. I hear it constantly on this forum, and it confuses the hell out of me. The show doesn't show even 10 percent of the sex and debauchery that takes place in the books. There is a scene in the books where a woman at Harrenhall known to sleep with Lannister soldiers is locked naked in the stocks in the middle of a courtyard so the men can come up and rape her any time they feel like it. There is a scene where Euron's men strip and entire family of sisters naked and make them serve them dinner, and one of the Ironborn starts to rape one of them on the table as her little sisters watch and cry. Neither of these scenes forwarded the plot in any way, or let us learn something about the characters that we didn't already know.

I can promise you that neither of these scenes will make it into the show.

The HBO show has been practically puritanical compared to the shit we see in the books. I'm confused as to how someone can read something of this nature and be totally fine, yet suddenly be offended when they see a tiny fraction of it on screen.

First, yes there is sex in the books but its quite sparse over 5 over very long books. But so far the show has had 3x as much sex as the book portion it has covered and with alot more to come that was never in the books e.g Renly/Margaery.

Second, scenes you dont think will make the show for being too much, i would not be so sure. Dany/Drogo scene was not even rape in the books.

Third we are not offended by the sex. People are just upset because there is so little time to cover such a long book yet and most of sex scenes are a waste of screen time. But tbh if HBO wanted all this fucking they should have fucking commissioned more fucking episodes.

God I hate book purists. Please quit watching.

I'm not quite ready to quit watching but I'm almost there. I'm not really a book purist, I'm just not a fan of heavy-handed/cliched/mediocre/middle-of-the-road writing which this show has an abundance of so far. Compare, for example, dialogue from the book to dialogue that the writer's of the show consistently use and there's no comparison. It's too bad there aren't other writers working on this show.

I really didn't think HBO would be in favor of dumbing down a book adaptation after they did shows like the Sopranos but that's what is going on here, IMO. This show doesn't really even feel like it's on HBO (except for the nudity), it feels more like it's a basic cable type of a show.

The show doesn't show even 10 percent of the sex and debauchery that takes place in the books. There is a scene in the books where a woman at Harrenhall known to sleep with Lannister soldiers is locked naked in the stocks in the middle of a courtyard so the men can come up and rape her any time they feel like it. There is a scene where Euron's men strip and entire family of sisters naked and make them serve them dinner, and one of the Ironborn starts to rape one of them on the table as her little sisters watch and cry. Neither of these scenes forwarded the plot in any way, or let us learn something about the characters that we didn't already know.

Very good point. I actually saw people on facebook claiming that the sex in the books were so much more erotic and sensual than in the show. I just had to laugh. I suppose it's a matter of human nature that makes people more easily offended by what they see than what they read...

Edited by Andrés Garcia

Second, scenes you dont think will make the show for being too much, i would not be so sure. Dany/Drogo scene was not even rape in the books.

What was in the show wouldn't be rape by their standards so I don't understand why people keep saying it. In the book they have one tender night and after that he continues to take her hard, regardless of how painful it is for her, so the show just removes the back and forth because it would completely diminish her actions to finally take control over her situation, seeing how it's being covered in just two episodes.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

No, in the book Drogo just took a terrified 13-year-old girl and twiddled her nipples until she turned into a sexpot. The show version was much more authentic IMO.

i gave it a 5 out of 10 and i think im being very generous. the book is raw and certainly there is sex, but really now,it seems the tv adaptation is just playing to the masses. and im very disturbed about the portrayal of stannis. i thought of stannis has the hardened capable battlefield commander, who inspired loyalty of his men. in the tv series he starts off as weak and easily manipulated by melisandre, and the sex scene is totally out of character. but i've read the books so........

tyrion scenes are spot on and carrying the show in my opinion.

Well, they clearly had sex in the series so it's not that out of character. It came across to me very awkward and duty-like--exactly like Stannis Baratheon would have sex. He was going to turn her down until she brought up having a son, something a king is duty bound to have.

And as others have pointed out, the sex is far rawer and often more disturbing in the novels.

And Stannis inspires the loyalty of exactly no one in the books except for Davos. I challenge you to find one character in the book who anywhere expresses personal loyalty to Stannis other than Davos.

Too many brothel scenes?? GRRM vividly describes vaginas as 'c***s' in the books and happily writes about incest, but nudity and sex on screen 'makes you...ill'?

Kudos for remaining faithful to GRRM's violently sexual world, IMO.

This. As I see it, those people complaining about changes from the books are more often than not just failing to remember the books accurately.

Loras and Renly wasn't very obvious to me at all in the books, I only knew because I saw season 1 first. I like the show, but I don't like the changes they're making from the books. Certain characters are being changed for reasons beyond me, there is too much sex, and I think the icing on the cake was Arya instantly trusting Gendry.

Fuck me with a bloody spear, I didn't realise having a mixed opinion was a problem.

No, but having an untenable opinion leads to inevitable and legitimate attacks on it. I mean seriously. The Arya/Gendry scene was taken virtually word for word from the book and occurs less than a third of way into ACOK. Your "opinion" is wrong because you're wrong on the facts.

Today I deliberately went on various entertainment sites and read comments there. It differs like day and night from people, who have read the books,and those, who didn't. Viewers who just watch the show are amazed how good the episode was...

It's not just show-only viewers. On most sites, most BOOK viewers thought it was a really good episode. This site just has all the change-one-thing-and-I'll-hate-it whiners. And even with that being said, over 70% of voters gave it a 7 or better, so it just tends to be said whiners who post a lot.

Edited by zippypoodle

I've got to say the first episode was my first episode where I'd read the book before watching it on TV. Needless to say there was some confusion and many moments I screamed at the TV saying:

Why didn't you start at Dragonstone?

That wasn't in the book?

They had a feast not a small dinner?

What about Stannis' daughter?

What about the Jester?

So you can tell I was quite frustrated.

In Episode 2 the questions had died down as had the shouting at the TV screen. The main areas that I wasn't sure of is why Theon's sister is called Yara now and not Asha, why didn't Theon have the salt water blessing from his uncle and why did they add in Jon being nosey resulting in being smacked on the head by Craster! I do understand they can't recreate everything that is in the book, I just wonder why they have to add in stuff that isn't in the book. I guess it adds more for the viewers who haven't read the books...

I'm excited about episode 3, I wish there wasn't such a long wait between episodes, but that is a good thing in a way that it captures your attention and you're hungry for more.

I gave it a 5.

Ros' scene: absolutely irrelevant. That character is not necessary at all, although...

It's probable that they're grooming her to be the one killed by Ramsay in Theon's foolish escape attempt. Still, we'll have to endure her for far too long. She outlived her importance even in the first season

Rakharo's death... I don't see its point. He's more important than Doreah, yet they decided to keep her over him? Weird. I only give this event credit on behalf of its dramatic relevance.

All Tyrion scenes, while improvable, are magnificent. Tyrion owns this book, really, and it couldn't be any less for him in the series. He's sometime lacking witty answers, though... he keeps silence before "valid" arguments. That's not much like him.

The last two scenes... I can't say just how disappointed I am of them.

In a single scene, they stomped on Stannis' inflexibility regarding justice and laws, which is probably the most important feature of the character. In this and all the other books, he recognizes Shireen as his heir. Why would he want a boy over keeping his vow? Seems like a rather weak narrative resource.

As of Jon's scene... well, absurd, from A to Z. As some people has said here already, it's quite convenient that one of Craster's girls gives birth to a boy precisely when the Night's Watch is in there... And Craster's attack on Jon, dramatic cliffhanger, I give you that, but it incredibly complicates things., and it was unnecessary. They could've simply have Jon see the Other taking the boy, and then returning to camp pondering over what he witnessed. Also, I doubt Ghost would've been too far away from Jon if a White Walker was around.

Kind of a doubt... Does Valyrian steel need any sharpening? I don't believe I read anything about sharpening such blades in the book. D.R.

What was in the show wouldn't be rape by their standards so I don't understand why people keep saying it. In the book they have one tender night and after that he continues to take her hard, regardless of how painful it is for her, so the show just removes the back and forth because it would completely diminish her actions to finally take control over her situation, seeing how it's being covered in just two episodes.

No, in the book Drogo just took a terrified 13-year-old girl and twiddled her nipples until she turned into a sexpot. The show version was much more authentic IMO.

I was not debatig which vesion has more merit, its a sickening enough situation either way, The point I was making was that we cant assume HBO will not portray some "future events" fucked up as they may be.

I'm surprised that so many people are criticizing Stannis for succumbing to lust. Egads, this duty-bound, puritanical, moralistic man of power is as tight as a drum. Of course sex for him is going to be a lust-explosion. It doesn't matter that this dimension of Stannis's personality is not portrayed in the books. We are talking about a man of power. Do you think he has no libido?

Edit: I see now that a thread is dedicated to this topic, so I will repost my thoughts there.

Edited by Strider

I thought it was great. Most scenes were spot on, especially Cersei/Tyrion and Arya.

Didn't mind the Ros scene (even though I think she's an unnecessary character as a whole), as it showed how terrible institutions brothels really are, but the cum-wipe was just disgusting and completely unnecessary.

Have to say I wasn't too impressed with Balon Greyjoy. I thought he seemed a bit frail and Walder Frey-esque, whereas I always imagined him be extremely hard and fiece, like Tywin Lannister.

Edited by The Monkey

I'd give it an 8, but it's a shaky 8, because I despise the girl they cast for Asha/Yara. Anyone else picture Asha as really skinny, but with an athletic body, and maybe a pony tail or something, and TAN? Like, really dark tan? And maybe be a bit more fierce, instead of perching on Balon's shoulder? I can't see the current actress talking about her "Lord Husband" and "Suckling Babe". This chick they picked for her would be better cast as the Captain's Daughter. Well, maybe they will cut the whole Euron/Victarion/Asha/Damphair storyline to save us from the awfulness.

Have to say I wasn't too impressed with Balon Greyjoy. I thought he seemed a bit frail and Walder Frey-esque, whereas I always imagined him be extremely hard and fiece, like Tywin Lannister.

Are we watching the same Balon? The way he turns round in his seat and says "and how do you feel about that?" gives me jitters. His voice has that grit that Tywin's has too.

I'd give it an 8, but it's a shaky 8, because I despise the girl they cast for Asha/Yara. Anyone else picture Asha as really skinny, but with an athletic body, and maybe a pony tail or something, and TAN? Like, really dark tan? And maybe be a bit more fierce, instead of perching on Balon's shoulder? I can't see the current actress talking about her "Lord Husband" and "Suckling Babe". This chick they picked for her would be better cast as the Captain's Daughter. Well, maybe they will cut the whole Euron/Victarion/Asha/Damphair storyline to save us from the awfulness.

Show Asha, so far, looks fine to me. Is she as beautiful as the Lannisters, or Daenerys Targaryen? Of course not; she's not supposed to be. She's supposed to look Ironborn, and she does.