How would you rate episode 202?

Ran

How would you rate episode 202?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 6. I'm liking Davos so far and Saan was great. They changed a lot in this episode, but all of them I thought were necessary and/or acceptable except for what they're doing with Stannis. Not sure where they're going with Craster, but I'm excited to find out and I think it's fine they've decided to change that series of events some. But in the end, essentially ruining (it's early, but it's not looking good) my favorite character, Stannis, left me with a bad taste in my mouth by the end of the episode.

I gave it a 6. I'm liking Davos so far and Saan was great. They changed a lot in this episode, but all of them I thought were necessary and/or acceptable except for what they're doing with Stannis. Not sure where they're going with Craster, but I'm excited to find out and I think it's fine they've decided to change that series of events some. But in the end, essentially ruining (it's early, but it's not looking good) my favorite character, Stannis, left me with a bad taste in my mouth by the end of the episode.

What in particular? I hope it's not just the sex thing because that happened in the books.

I gave it an 8.

Yeah there were a few 'WTF' moments (Mel/Stan, Jon/Craster) but I'm looking forward to see how everything's going to develop from here.

NW scene was brilliant - I was cheering for Yoren and his badassery!

A lot of people have complained about the LF/Ros scene. I think Ros is like Marmite - people either love her or hate her! But I can see it from the perspective of character development - LF got owned by Queen (regent) Bitchface last week so it's nice to have a little reminder that he has a harsh, yet subtle way of doing things. I actually like him as a character!

Loved all the Pyke stuff, I love Theon's character in general and so far really enjoying how Alfie Allen has portrayed him as a cocky, womanising egotistical so and so.

Still waiting for Dany's storyline to kick in...

Just on a side note it makes me giggle a little bit when people rate this as worst episode of the series - there have only been two so far :)

Just on a side note it makes me giggle a little bit when people rate this as worst episode of the series - there have only been two so far :)

I know I am comparing what I see in this season to what I saw last season from a quality perspective and I believe others are as well, so we have 12 episodes to compare.

I gave it a six. If I could do so, I'd give it a 6.5.

There were three scenes that I didn't think were well done (Theon & Yara on horseback, the brothel scene, and the Stannis / Mel sex scene).

The good scenes were undermined to a certain extent by the disjointed feel of jumping between the many POVs.

It was enjoyable, but I think that it was the worst episode yet.

I know I am comparing what I see in this season to what I saw last season from a quality perspective and I believe others are as well, so we have 12 episodes to compare.

Exactly- hence the word "series" rather than "season." There have been twelve episodes in the series, and I think that this was the worst episode of the 12.

He wasn't grunting with ecstasy, he was grunting with effort. That's not a terribly conducive position for sex.

What? It's not like he was holding her or lifting her up- she was sprawled back on the table. It didn't look like such a stressful position that you'd be grunting from exertion after two or three pumps. Regardless, I think that they could've built up Stannis more before having him hunched over and grunting. That, coupled with his gasping "a son," It just made him seem like a desperate, lecherous weirdo. Stannis is one of my favorites from the series, and so far the show isn't doing him justice.

7 or 8 for me. Not too mad about the Stannis sex scene. Like Renly and Loras, the show is just emphasizing something that was already eluded to. The Craster scene was a bit blah but it was a good way to show what he was doing with his sons. I didn't mind the Ros/Littlefinger scene since I love every scene with Littlefinger, minus the one with Cersei :(

Really positive notes were

-Tyrion sending Janos to the wall (one of my favorite scenes in the entire series)

-The Sam/Dolorous Edd dialogue

-Arya and Gendry scenes

-Theon/Asha/Balon scene was really well done in my opinion

-Got to see grown up Ghost

-Varys/Tyrion scene

I'm not surprised Stannis porked Melisandre. He's a fanatic and fanatics will do anything to prove their devotion. He probably thought it was his duty to his new god.

It's not as explicit in the book, but for non readers what seems like a scene of rumpy pumpy leads to a supernatural solution to the problem Stannis was worried about.

gave it a 6

The true to the book scenes were good but seemed rushed, except for theon going to poundtown, that seemed to take forever.

I'm not liking Stannis or Mel's portrayals.

Too much LF he is supposed to be mysterious

Ghost was awesome

Salla was hilarious

Have you read the books?

Yes I have. Since this is about the TV show, I was speaking of my impression of the TV version Stannis. Mel was coaxing him in much like any cult leader would coax a follower and by the looks of things Mr. "I have a wife...I took vows" Stannis bought it.

That said, as for the book version, considering what he lets Mel get away with he may be a hesitant, methodical fanatic but a fanatic nonetheless.

Edited by Red Raven

Exactly- hence the word "series" rather than "season." There have been twelve episodes in the series, and I think that this was the worst episode of the 12.

Cheers for clarification - in England series and season are interchangeable so didn't realise you meant overall :)

No television series can ever live up to the movie in your mind when reading a book but this series gets very close. Incredibly well done with great writers, superb acting and the director should be lauded for his outstanding work.

No! No! We must castigate them for not putting in Shireen and not having Hot Pie yell "HOT PIE!" :dunno:

Um, no. In standard UK English, this is the second series. Each series has ten episodes.

What is it in standard Australian English?

It's a show written by Americans, adapted from a series of novels written by an American, produced by an American cable station, being discussed on a forum headed by an American, so don't be surprised if people discuss the show in American terms using American nomenclature. If this were Dr. Who or Fawlty Towers or something, then you'd have more of a point. I didn't intend to insult British fans- I didn't know the alternate British usage. It was a language barrier issue. Abifer understood that, so I don't see why you're defensive about it.

Edited by Hedge Lawyer