[Book Spoilers] Ep 202 Discussion

Ran

Well that kinda sucks, I like Shireen. But I geuss it could later be revealed that she means no sons.

I liked the episode,Ghost looked great and I really liked the end of the episode.Arya and Gendry was awesome.Jaqen was great. I thought the Mel/Stannis scene was pretty good too.Even though they don't do it in the book, it's heavily implied.

... I'm fine with them fucking since it obviously happened in the books, but Stannis wanting to father a bastard boy makes zero sense.

Any King can legitimize a bastard by decree. Somebody -- Lady Mormont, I think -- is currently holding such a decree Robb wrote legitimizing Jon and naming him his heir, and Stannis offers to do the same and name Jon Lord of Winterfell. Also, a previous Taergarian king legitimized all his bastards on his deathbed. This correlates in the real world as well; I'm pretty sure Henry VIII fathered a bastard who was to be his heir, but died before reaching adulthood.

1. I can't remember any instance in the books where it is definitely confirmed that Cersei ordered the killings.

2. Replacing Slynt with Bronn instead of Swann is a brilliant way of highlighting Tyrion's hypocrisy.

1.: It is made implicitly clear, at some point later on Tyrion refers to it as "Cersei´s savage course"

2.: Swann? He initially replaced Slynt with Jacely Bywater who is respected as an honorable man by everyone.

Swann? He initially replaced Slynt with Jacely Bywater who is respected as an honorable man by everyone.

Correct, and then the Gold Cloaks are given to Ser Addam Marbrand after Bywater's death. Ser Balon Swann replaces Ser Preston Greenfield on the Kingsguard.

1.: It is made implicitly clear, at some point later on Tyrion refers to it as "Cersei´s savage course"

Not that I feel all that strongly as to who ordered what, but Tyrion also thought that Cersei ordered Ser who'snameIkeepforgetting to kill him, but yeah, I believed (and still do) that Book Cersei ordered the killings. I don't think Book Joff would do so since he's so fucking clueless, he probably doesn't know how babies are made.

Am I getting things mixed up or does Bronn become City Watch leader sometime down the road anyway? I like that they kept Bronn's line in, makes Tyrion have a good"crap" moment.

No, but he wears the City Watch's black ringmail uniform all throughout ACoK. He is eventually knighted, marries into a noble house, and then murders his way into basically being a lord.

Edited by J.S. Crews

Just to get it out there, I think the killing of Rakharo was due to the actors schedule, not the producers wanting to kill off a character who lives through the books.

All of the people who were "wrongly" predicting a romance between Dany and Rakharo and Ros taking the place of Arya, heads must be spinning by now.

my problem with craster doming Jon is.. wheres Ghost??

I was thinking the same when it happened. I have a feeling ghost will be there next week to stop the killing blow.

Was that really Edd? I thought that was the cook, Three Fingered Hobbs.. or did he have more fingers?

Edited by The Bitter Steel

Anyone else think Asha/Yara looks like Russell Crowe?

Liked Gilly and Jaqen a lot. Davos too.

When Sam and Gilly met I got this immediate flash montage in my mind of everything they go through throughout the rest of the books, with the baby, being on the ship, the crying, the sex. It reminded me of the scene from the OC when they flash back to Marisa and Ryan meeting at the top of the driveway in the first episode. It might have gotten a little dusty in my apartment...

Someone may have mentioned this, but, no Damphair?

I actually liked this episode, even though a lot of things bugged me. I think it was the scenes at Pyke. I REALLY loved the interaction between Theon and Balon. It was almost word for word, IIRC, and Balon was cast perfect. He is just exactly what I pictured. Asha (I refuse to call her Yara) is not what I pictured, but I'm okay with her. Is she chubby, or just really fit and that's muscles? I can't tell. Loved those scenes though. I wish Asha could have gone on a little longer with the Esgred thing, but yeah I know...impossible.

Not getting the Craster/Jon thing. What are the chances anyway that Jon would just conveniently be there while one of the girls just had a son and Craster happens to be near Jon sacrificing one? That was just odd, and not a very captivating cliffhanger for the book reader, since you know, it didn't happen.

I am NOT a fan of the Meli/Stannis scene at all. I don't mind a sex scene since I'm pretty sure it happened, but like THAT? She was talking down on Selyse, when Selyse is one of her most fervent supporters. Here she is just a confined weak woman in a tower that never had a child. OK. And Stannis with his whole ".....sons??" line. I don't know about that. Why does Stannis want a bastard son? I thought he was under the impression that sex was for her magic and shadow babies. But maybe I am totally off the mark here. And I think that comparing this to Renly/Loras is not really fair. Renly and Loras were obviously madly in love, and nothing in the book suggests that of Stannis and Meli.

Dany. Well. Boring. I guess they are now resorting to just killing random people off since there's nothing too exciting going on with her.

I don't know where they are going with this crazy idea that Joff had anything to do with killing the bastards, because that is not the Joffrey I know from the books. Are they trying to make Cersei more likable or something? I don't even know how that could be possible.

I'm also sick of Ros being the only thing as a plot device to understand LF's character. He deserves better than that.

Love Arya's scenes!! I want to see her walk with the Mountain and Tickler soooooo bad.

Edited by dannister

I love the moment where Sam saves Gilly from Ghost and she tells him he is very brave. You can just about see Sam giving his heart up right then. It also shows how she would find him attractive. I have to admit, in the books it makes logical sense - she sees him as a protector, but I never really felt it.

I love Edd and Grenn's conversation. I like the Night Watch secondary characters even more on screen.

I totally understand Bronn being the Commander of the Goldcloaks, but my gut reaction was meh. In the books he was totally loyal to and dependant on Tyrion. His knighting and marriage was like a punch in the gut because it was yet another blow for Tyrion when things went to shit. I realize that Tyrion appointed him and can reasonably still count on him to be on his side, but Bronn is more independent now. But like i said, I can easily see how they made this decision and i still have my books. I can just pick and chose which bits of the series I want to incorporate into my personal canon.

Gonna echo that Heady really didn't do it for me last season, but so far this season I have really come to like her in the role. It's possible that it's because she's playing off Tyrion, and those two are gold together.

All of the people who were "wrongly" predicting a romance between Dany and Rakharo and Ros taking the place of Arya, heads must be spinning by now.

I was actually thinking they could make Ros take the place of Jeyne when she is sent off to Ramsay. Even though I wouldn't nessacerily "like it" they haven't cast Jeyne and they could have Theon recognize her like he does Jeyne.

Am I getting things mixed up or does Bronn become City Watch leader sometime down the road anyway? I like that they kept Bronn's line in, makes Tyrion have a good"crap" moment.

I believe Tyrion does make him captain of his personal guard that Bronn recruited for him. That may be what you're thinking of.

Someone may have mentioned this, but, no Damphair?

Is Damphair the Drowned God uncle priest guy? Because I swear I've seen him in a promo at some point.

I was thinking the same when it happened. I have a feeling ghost will be there next week to stop the killing blow.

The wolves don't seem to be so "magic" as they are in the books. Book-ghost would have silently ripped Craster's arm off before he got anywhere near hitting Jon. I guess it's because the wolves can't be as omnipresent as in the books because of budget limitations, but its still a shame.

I was actually thinking they could make Ros take the place of Jeyne when she is sent off to Ramsay. Even though I wouldn't nessacerily "like it" they haven't cast Jeyne and they could have Theon recognize her like he does Jeyne.

They have cast Jeyne. http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv146/gmosko/JeyneSansa.jpg But even if they hadn't, Jeyne is pretending to be Arya. Ros could definitely not pass as Arya, she is played by a 30 year old woman, Arya by a 15 year old girl. Seriously, why does this come up so much? There is absolutely no way this will happen. No way. None. On a scale of possibility this is on par with the show resurrecting Ned and having him dance with Lady and a weirwood tree on the moon. This will not happen.