[Book Spoilers] Jaqen

Ice Turtle

Very meh. I was expecting an accent as tick as Syrio`s, instead we barely got one at all.

Some will say, but hey he`s a FM, he knows how to mask his accent. Which would be accurate, if he was trying to sound Westerosi.

"A Man Knows" or a "Boy has a friend" dont really sound Westerosi to me.

His attitude wasn't at all as I expected. I imagined some slimy, creepy guy for some reason which is stupid because if he was slimy and creepy, it would be less likely that Arya would come to think of him as a friend. I really liked the show's portrayal of him. I hungered for more. The entire scene was fantastic.

I liked him, my only problem is that I expected Jaqen to be much less attractive. But hells! 90% of the characters are more attractive on the show than on my mind, so...

But I loved how the actor portrayed him, and the comparison with the other two prisoners is just as striking as in the book.

I thought he was fine. He didn't blow me away or anything, but he was still cool, and I think for non-book readers, a lot of them will still feel that "he's creepy because he's so polite" vibe that most people got their first time through.

Loved. Him.

Not just because I personally find the actor to be smoking, hell fire hot, but so far he only had like a minute of screen time and I am already intrigued by this man. He's courteous, friendly, and gives off this sense that he might be an okay person, but then he's in the cage with creeps like Biter and Rorge, yet he's not even worried. First, you know he must've done something to get grouped with the likes of them and secondly, the fact that he's not too concerned with his new terrifying roomies shows that there is something very scary and dangerous about him., I need to see more Jaqen, but so far I really like what I've seen. :cool4:

I'm curious where you guys got the impression in the books that he was ever "slimy". Arya makes note of the stark contrast between him and the other two wagon-captives - he seems polite, courteous, clean, almost high-born in mannerisms, just with the slightly creepy third-person speech and of course the odd hair. I feel like the guy playing him captured all of that quite nicely.

I liked him a lot. Other than the hair, which seems to be toned down across the board, not sure what more we could have expected. Don't think he shoudl have an accent as much as Syrio does since, for all we know, Lorathi accents aren't as notable for Westerosi as Braavosi

I'm curious where you guys got the impression in the books that he was ever "slimy". Arya makes note of the stark contrast between him and the other two wagon-captives - he seems polite, courteous, clean, almost high-born in mannerisms, just with the slightly creepy third-person speech and of course the odd hair. I feel like the guy playing him captured all of that quite nicely.

For me, the feeling that he was sort of slimy came from him speaking in third person and being consigned to the cage with the likes of Rorge and Biter. Him calling her 'sweet boy' or 'lovely boy' also felt slimy as I was reading, though this was sort of an indication that he knew she was a girl. Also, while Arya notes the differences between Jaqen and the other two, she is not entirely sure how she feels about him. I never thought of Jaqen as creepy or slimy in the same way I thought of Craster, but I most certainly expected him to be less clean or something. Still, I'm very happy with his on-screen portrayal and it doesn't take the mystery out of his character.

He was fine. As, at this time, he is just a throw away character they introduced him, gave Arya time with the three of them and moved on. If they had done more it would have seemed odd.

we saw too little of him, but so far i am really liking him! of course that the fact that he is really hot helps, but i liked how he spoke, and his accent, (we don't know how the people from lorath speak, so...) and i think he and maise will have some great screen time together- still, ought to wait till we see more scenes with him, but it was so sad to watch it in english only to have the stupid spanish subtitles taking away his third-person way of talking. he was saying "i have the honor of being jaqen" instead of "this man has the honor of being jaqen" i bet though the actor won't dissapoint us. so far all the actos in the scenes with arya are doing a pretty good job IMO :dunno:

Appearance-wise, I thought he was perfect. Just as I'd pictured him while reading. Not just him, but Rorge and Biter as well. Despite his minimal screentime, it was the part of last night's episode I was most excited for.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jaqen's portrayal yet, we only got a tidbit of him and a few lines. Hardly enough to judge if he's going to become a fan favorite like he is in the books.

I will say I like the hawkish look of the actor though I expected him to have darker hair for some reason, I don't know why since he was supposed to have half blue hair anyways. I would expect with the grittier, dirty way they're making most of the actors look in the show, it makes sense that Jaqen riding in a cage with two other violent criminals is going to make him less attractive in some ways.

Also, I really thought Biter's look was spot on, but I don't know yet with Rorge, couldn't really see that much of him. The lines were done perfectly though.

He looks brilliant. Not ridiculously extravagant and out of place, but handsome, enigmatic, sly and gritty.

Perfect.

This. I couldn't have imagined that brief scene any more closely to my experience with the book than it was portrayed on screen.

Archived