[Book Spoilers] Jaqen

Ice Turtle

it was ok. he wasn't at all flamboyant enough, and I'd agree with a lot of you who said we haven't seen enough of him really. His accent could have been thicker I thought. I think the hair was just a litttttle toooo pale, it shouldnt have been too bold as he's come from a black cell, but a little bolder than it was. other than that looking forward to more of him/arya.

rorge and biter were amazing too, cant wait to see how they do all the mountain and his men

It was wonderful to see the initial impressions of Jaquen from the 'Unsullied' (non-book readers) at TelevisionWithoutPity. They don't know anything about him, of course, this is the first they're seeing him. But they instantly recognize (1) he's 'different' than the other maniacs in the cage (2) but he's in the cage, so he's dangerous in some way (3) he's courteous, silky, and he's not afraid of his cage-mates, and the maniac cage mates don't threaten or attack him = he's dangerous. (4) his third-person way of speaking is eerie.. as one poster noted 'A girl freaks out!'

That's a lot of good, insightful input for what? A 30 second appearance? Kudos to the show writers.

It was wonderful to see the initial impressions of Jaquen from the 'Unsullied' (non-book readers) at TelevisionWithoutPity. They don't know anything about him, of course, this is the first they're seeing him. But they instantly recognize (1) he's 'different' than the other maniacs in the cage (2) but he's in the cage, so he's dangerous in some way (3) he's courteous, silky, and he's not afraid of his cage-mates, and the maniac cage mates don't threaten or attack him = he's dangerous. (4) his third-person way of speaking is eerie.. as one poster noted 'A girl freaks out!'

That's a lot of good, insightful input for what? A 30 second appearance? Kudos to the show writers.

I agree..I am glad that so many people noticed him! And I loved him, thought he was perfect. It's going to sound weird for anyone to talk in third-person with a made-up foreign accent. It's a thin line between goofy and mysterious and I think he definitely nailed it.

Jaqen was awesome although I wish the show was more consistent with the regional accents in order to immerse us more in this fictitious world.

Rorge is a frightening looking man and the actor is good, I just can't see why they did not bother making him noseless. It would be good to have such a ghoulish presence and I can't imagine it being that costly or hard to have managed the effect, practical or CGI.

Biter was pretty good though.

I agree..I am glad that so many people noticed him! And I loved him, thought he was perfect. It's going to sound weird for anyone to talk in third-person with a made-up foreign accent. It's a thin line between goofy and mysterious and I think he definitely nailed it.

Yes! You know - It was so well done I didn't even really notice it. Of course, we book nuts already know Jaqen talks that way and so its less eerie than it probably is for a non book reader (and I like the name unsullied for them haha). The actor has a good handle on how Jaqen should speak, if only for the brief minute we got to see him.

I thought they have nailed the character with Tom Wlaschiha.

I wonder what non readers make of him?

If a man has read all the books by now, and what a man finds out about the FM.... then the more a man finds out about Jaqen H'ghar the less a man knows about him!

By the by I have always been of a mind that he was not put in that cage, he put himself there for a reason.

I personally loved what we saw, he hit it spot on. I think he didn't show an accent as he has adopted the Westerosi accent being a Faceless Man and all.

The third person speaking is something I always understood as part of being a faceless man. He actually doesn't know his true identity any more, and simply refers to his "true" self as "this man", and others to "a boy/girl/lord/whore/dog/etc".

Rorge and Bitier were creepy of course, as I expected.

Can't wait to see more of these three.

I also subscribe to the theory that he was in the black cells for a reason, as Littlefinger had no doubts that a FM could carry out an assassination without hitch, and if I trust anyone on matters of deceit its LF.

I too was let down that Rorge had a nose, although it didn't make his portrayal any less creepy.

I was impressed! He is such an intriguing character in the book, and my brother (who hasn't read the books yet) called me and said, "Who is that guy in the cage?!?" I Just laughed and said, "Oh..you will see!"

Biter was great too, and Rorge wasn't as totally hideous as I pictured him, but still was effectively creepy!

Loved. Him.

Not just because I personally find the actor to be smoking, hell fire hot, but so far he only had like a minute of screen time and I am already intrigued by this man. He's courteous, friendly, and gives off this sense that he might be an okay person, but then he's in the cage with creeps like Biter and Rorge, yet he's not even worried. First, you know he must've done something to get grouped with the likes of them and secondly, the fact that he's not too concerned with his new terrifying roomies shows that there is something very scary and dangerous about him., I need to see more Jaqen, but so far I really like what I've seen. :cool4:

^This.

He was more or less just as I imagined him, looking forward to seeing more of this guy on screen. I wonder how his character is going to work in the tv adaptation though, I imagine viewers could be confused by the whole face changing aspect of this character. If they think different characters with similar names are too confusing for new viewers, how will they handle a character who is the same, with different faces?

His hair color was toned down from the book but I think that falls in line with what they have been doing on the show so far. Jaime's hair isn't quite as golden, the Targaryen's don't have purple eyes, and I guess a bold white streak doesn't look that good on camera either.

He looks brilliant. Not ridiculously extravagant and out of place, but handsome, enigmatic, sly and gritty.

Perfect.

He was great.

So far, there's nothing I don't like in the way they handled Arya's story. Perfect execution, imo.

See, i never really pictured Jaqen as having a really thick accent. Especially after i learned more about the Faceless Men and them teaching Arya new languages. A good assassin should be fluid in multiple languages so they can pass for the person they are mismicking.

So him speaking the common tongue well makes sense to me, being that he is in Westeros on a job.

I was trying to explain Jaqen to a non reader friend who wanted spoilers but it was difficult. In the books, we are introduced to the idea of FM before we meet Jaqen so we aren't totally thrown off when he reveals himself as such. But in the show, they've not brought up anything about FM. The whole FM concept is completely mysterious and somewhat confusing until Arya gets to the House of B&W and it would probably be doubly confusing to viewers. So how would this work?

I was trying to explain Jaqen to a non reader friend who wanted spoilers but it was difficult. In the books, we are introduced to the idea of FM before we meet Jaqen so we aren't totally thrown off when he reveals himself as such. But in the show, they've not brought up anything about FM. The whole FM concept is completely mysterious and somewhat confusing until Arya gets to the House of B&W and it would probably be doubly confusing to viewers. So how would this work?

My guess is that Jaqen will give Arya (and the viewers) a brief exposition about the FM.

Archived