[Book Spoilers] Jaqen

Ice Turtle

I loved him. The whole scene was one of the best of the episode, IMO.

He was polite, charismatic, suave, with just the right amount of creepiness. Definitely the kind of person Arya (and the audience) would find very intriguing.

If I hadn't read the books I would have assumed that from this little bit alone he was someone to keep an eye on and would be important later on, he was intentionally made different from the other people in the cage, he was polite and charming and I haven't read the book for a while that was how I remembered him.

Jaqen was awesome although I wish the show was more consistent with the regional accents in order to immerse us more in this fictitious world.

Rorge is a frightening looking man and the actor is good, I just can't see why they did not bother making him noseless. It would be good to have such a ghoulish presence and I can't imagine it being that costly or hard to have managed the effect, practical or CGI.

Biter was pretty good though.

Well he's pretending to be Lorathi and as a professional assassin it would be a bit of a give away if he spoke with a Bravossi accent.

Also spending the money on make-up to give a minor character no nose would hardly be productive and probably extremely uncomfortable for the actor.

In the books, we are introduced to the idea of FM before we meet Jaqen so we aren't totally thrown off when he reveals himself as such. But in the show, they've not brought up anything about FM. The whole FM concept is completely mysterious and somewhat confusing until Arya gets to the House of B&W and it would probably be doubly confusing to viewers. So how would this work?

"I've seen a man who can change his face, the way other men change their clothes." - Doreah to Viserys, S1 E4. Subtle to be sure, but it at least introduces the concept of facechangers to the non-book reader.

Also, I imagine that when Jaqen and Arya get to talk more at length, he may do a bit more explaining about exactly...what he is than he did in the book. And even if not, then it'll just add another layer of mystery to this mysterious character; a mystery that can eventually be unveiled once

Arya reaches Braavos.

Well he's pretending to be Lorathi and as a professional assassin it would be a bit of a give away if he spoke with a Bravossi accent.

Also spending the money on make-up to give a minor character no nose would hardly be productive and probably extremely uncomfortable for the actor.

Lorath is one of the 9 free cities, I would still assume that he would have more of an accent, as for the discomfort of the actor... He won't be featured all that much and I'm sure they could of CGI'd the nose off. In Boardwalk Empire they do away with half of a guys face. In my mind he is meant to be ghoulish.

Loved. Him.

Not just because I personally find the actor to be smoking, hell fire hot, but so far he only had like a minute of screen time and I am already intrigued by this man. He's courteous, friendly, and gives off this sense that he might be an okay person, but then he's in the cage with creeps like Biter and Rorge, yet he's not even worried. First, you know he must've done something to get grouped with the likes of them and secondly, the fact that he's not too concerned with his new terrifying roomies shows that there is something very scary and dangerous about him., I need to see more Jaqen, but so far I really like what I've seen. :cool4:

What she said! Including the hottie part. :D

Lorath is one of the 9 free cities, I would still assume that he would have more of an accent, as for the discomfort of the actor... He won't be featured all that much and I'm sure they could of CGI'd the nose off. In Boardwalk Empire they do away with half of a guys face. In my mind he is meant to be ghoulish.

I have no idea how much trouble it is to "remove his nose", but I know one thing: People without noses are NOT a pleasant sight. I know, we see a lot of gory, gruesome stuff on this show, but noseless faces are extraordinarily hideous (has anyone seen the picture of the afghan girl, whose husband cut her nose off? If not, DON'T google it). So, i don't really miss it, especially as it doesn't really serve a purpose that he has no nose (or does it?). I guess we won't see Tyrion lose his nose either.

But again Richard Harrow is at least a second tier character in Season 2 of Boardwalk yet Rorge is a minor character so it hardly worth the cost plus the lack of 1 side of his face is key to Harrow's character so the situations don't really compare.

I wonder if they are going to go all the way and have Tyrion get mutilated in the Blackwater episode. Will it be his nose that gets cut off, or his ear or just a big ugly scar across his face? I feel sort of dirty that I'm looking forward to some mutilation.

If I hadn't read the books I would have assumed that from this little bit alone he was someone to keep an eye on and would be important later on, he was intentionally made different from the other people in the cage, he was polite and charming and I haven't read the book for a while that was how I remembered him.

He's in a cage with a couple of really nasty types , lower that gutter rats.

I would love the show to work in the fact that these two horror show guys are really afraid of a person so different from them, that ought to give the non readers a hint.

I liked the part where he apologized to Arya for Rorge and Biter's behavior and then watch him smiling at Arya when she takes some whacks at them.

I swear I think Jaqen was sent to evaluate Arya.

Loved. Him.

Not just because I personally find the actor to be smoking, hell fire hot, but so far he only had like a minute of screen time and I am already intrigued by this man. He's courteous, friendly, and gives off this sense that he might be an okay person, but then he's in the cage with creeps like Biter and Rorge, yet he's not even worried. First, you know he must've done something to get grouped with the likes of them and secondly, the fact that he's not too concerned with his new terrifying roomies shows that there is something very scary and dangerous about him., I need to see more Jaqen, but so far I really like what I've seen. :cool4:

indeed. I would have like to see fear from his cellmates, in the book they fear him because they know is his extremely dangerous and mysterious.

I wonder if they are going to go all the way and have Tyrion get mutilated in the Blackwater episode. Will it be his nose that gets cut off, or his ear or just a big ugly scar across his face? I feel sort of dirty that I'm looking forward to some mutilation.

I was wondering this same thing as people were complaining about Rorge not having his nose cut off being a difficult thing to put on an actor... what is Tyrion (Peter D) going to do for the rest of the series after his unfortunate nose loss at Blackwater?

Knowing how HBO has subtly changed some things to make characters more attractive or different, my guess is they will leave off the disfigurement of his nose and probably just give him a long scar or something less horrible looking. Which, if you think about it, changes the entire dynamics of how people treat Tyrion (not just a dwarf but a mutilated ugly one) for the rest of the series and dramatically changes how the books were written... such as how whores look away from his ugly face, and why he took up drinking more heavily... etc.

They might give him a scar, or they might just cover his nose in leather or similar "gold" to what they used for Viserys. Make it look like he has a gold nose made, as he 'jokes' with Varys.

Westeros wouldn't have prosthetics as good as real-world ones (and have some more -- with before/after pictures -- because they're amazing, but a Lannister would be able to afford something if he wanted to.

I don't know what the budget's like, nor what it takes to do CGI removal of facial features, but I think he's in too much for it to be done for every scene for the rest of the series. I figure they'll go with the scarring or the prosthetic look instead.

Other than the split hair (which would be nitpicking, imo), they pretty much got Jaquen exactly as I'd imagined him. There was a comment made about him being too attractive, but I always imagined Jaquen being a handsome man.

Biter looked great, the only problem I had was Rorge having a nose. As it's been pointed out, it isn't a pivotal character trait, but it adds to the monstrousness of his character. I also feel that the world in ASoIaF should be brutal, mutilated and dark - Rorge's lack of a nose was a good example of that; more than taking away from his character, I feel it takes away from the brutality of the world a little bit.

I would really like to know what kind of contract Tom Wlaschiha signed.

Just for one season?

I know , as a reader of the books, I have missed Jaqen for long time now, George has a great character there, and he does not die... but now off stage of a long time now (well a little blip there).

So , as we have wondered, what will D&D do?

He looks brilliant. Not ridiculously extravagant and out of place, but handsome, enigmatic, sly and gritty.

Perfect.

Exactly! I can't wait to see more of him, (and am curious to see a better view of red and white hair). I also thought Rorge and Biter were perfect -- really scary! They, along with the scene between Arya and Gendry - and Jon's scene w/ Craster and WW - were the best parts of the show! :bowdown:

I can't imagine it being that costly or hard to have managed the effect, practical or CGI.

Biter was pretty good though.

I am afraid it would be very tough using make up - perhaps a full face mask, 1/5 extra head size and then a missing nose and CGI would be expensive. These things add up They could have given him a nasty on nose scar I guess

Archived