[Book Spoilers] Saan

Reposado

Admittedly, the Lysene pirate is one of my favorites from the books, but I loved his introduction and the relationship established between Saan and Davos. I hope they include him as much as possible. Did he hit everyone else's expectations?

He's broadly playing the same sort of function, but there's obviously some notable differences. I would have liked them to have change his name, since he represents a different character unconnected with the history of the Saan family in the novels (and there is a history that hasn't been made explicit in the books)... but just as a character, Lucian Msamati was excellent. Loved his exchange with Matthos. He's imbues the role with great zest and energy.

I thought he was great. I think I would have been more annoyed had they changed his name; I don't really see the need. He's clearly playing the same role as the books, with some definite tweaks, and ultimately I don't really care about his backstory. I was surprised the character was cast, as I thought for sure he was a character they would cut, but I'm glad they kept him. Hope to see him again when/if he explains the Azor Ahai Nissa Nissa story to Davos.

He's broadly playing the same sort of function, but there's obviously some notable differences. I would have liked them to have change his name, since he represents a different character unconnected with the history of the Saan family in the novels (and there is a history that hasn't been made explicit in the books)... but just as a character, Lucian Msamati was excellent. Loved his exchange with Matthos. He's imbues the role with great zest and energy.

I'm also glad that they didn't change his name. I understand that they changed his backstory (by omission, and by not making him Lysene) but the nod to fans is worth more than what was left on the table I believe.

Well, what's the history of the Saan family that is not established in the books? And why should it matter if it's (as of yet, and possibly even in later volumes) not revealed? After all, Salladhor Saan has been written out of the series. I very much doubt we will see him every again...

I really liked him and the scene with Davos, I hope he is shown more in the series.

For some reason I want to see a scene with him interacting with his crew. I want them to be similar to him also speaking in the same sort of accent

I liked him. LOL, some reviewer didn't catch his name, said it sounded something like 'Salad or Sandwich' so that's what he's going to call him from now on. Me, too! I'll never be able to look at the character the same way again--it'll be like 'Oh, look, here comes the Salad or Sandwich pirate!'

Fun character, provided some comic relief to what was largely a heavy episode.

I also thought he captured my impression of book Sallador nicely. My only complaint with that scene was the whole setup of them walking on the beach seemed awkward and a little out of place. I'd have rather seen them dockside a la the book, but I'm sure the change was made for the sake of budget.

I loved how they portrayed him. On my first read i even pictured him black, maybe because of his name (Sallador sounds like it has the same origin like Jalabhar...). Didn't really get the Lysene background thing.

His scabbard looked great and very pirate-like and the way he walked and his accent completed the package for me. :)

I would have liked them to have change his name, since he represents a different character unconnected with the history of the Saan family in the novels (and there is a history that hasn't been made explicit in the books)

Where could I think information about that history?

Ah, nowhere. Maybe the original GoT RPG from Guardians of Order, perhaps, but probably not there either. I think I have it in the World of Ice and Fire, but we'll see if it stays.

I wish they had changed his home city/ethnicity at least. A black Lyseni? preposterous. How are TV-show viewers supposed to construct conspiracy theories about Varys if they're under the impression that the Lyseni can come in all colors?!

I'm sure there are a few Summer Islanders or Sothyros dudes in Lys. But Saan is Lyseni, it's his ethnicity. And the Lyseni are no more black than the English.

And it matters for the sake of consistent world-building. I don't know if you've read ADwD or not, so I won't get into, but consistent world-building is key for certain theories to function.

Archived