[Book Spoilers] Selyse and Shireen

Lord Varys

Well, we should not consider the TV series as authority on story development in the books. The fact that there was no speaking Jeyne Poole in season 1 is not going to change the fact that Ramsay is going to marry her as 'fake Arya'. Just as the fact that there as of yet still no Tullys/Reeds in the series is not going to change the importance of, say, Howland Reed, Brynden and Edmure Tully to the series.

As to Shireen's role:

Her Greyscale (and Connington's in the south) is the first hint, in my opinion, that we will see a plague spreading through Westeros. But Shireen's fate might be even worse. She will not be burnt, but if her Greyscale returns Mel's ritual to save might have interesting consequences... Remember Dany's vision of 'the stone beast breathing shadow fire'? After we have learned the term 'stone men', it's not so unlikely that Shireen might be transformed into this 'stone beast'. She might still be sane and herself afterwards, though, remember what Moqorro did to Victarion's arm...

We should keep in mind that Mel is not using Stannis and his family. She actually seems to like/love Stannis, and in my opinion this also includes Selyse and Shireen. If Selyse begs her to save her daughter even if they all believe Stannis is dead (which I doubt Mel does) Melisandre will do everything she can...

Mel's quote states his wife has given him no sons, only stillborns. It says nothing about a daughter, which leaves it open for them to add a daughter later. Simple as that

I sorely hope this is the case. I was quite disappointed when I thought Shireen was left out.

I sorely hope this is the case. I was quite disappointed when I thought Shireen was left out.

As would I, and doubly-so for Patchface. I agree that the most literal reading of Melisandre's words allow that they could case Shireen and Patchface down the road. Why they couldn't have said "your wife gave you no sons, only a diseased daughter" is disconcerting, however.

Archived