[Book Spoilers] Yara?

Lord Hodor

The name change was really unexpected and strange IMO.

That Asha isn't a hottie doesn't annoy me one bit, she isn't supposed to be. But I'd imagined her as more angular and sinewy, the person portraying her looks almost pudgy, doesn't she?

We should be way past being disturbed by such details since almost all the characters on the show look a bit different from what's described in the book.

Though we can of course counteract this with the following.

Theon wants to do her

Half of her crew allegedly want to do her

Tris Botley still wants to do her many years on.

Qarl the maid really likes doing her (is it said that he's good looking?)

The Lysene sailor (the beautiful Lysene sailor, admittedly from Asha's viewpoint, but he is stated as beautiful none the less) liked doing her.

Justin Massey wants to do her.

Theon is a whore. He's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moonboy, for all I know.

Seeing how we just that episode saw Theon fucking the Sailor's daughter, who looked perfectly goofy and unattractive, 'Yara' would look like a model in comparison.

I think the attractiveness level is about right. Yes there are a few discrepencies but, as Tywin's Bastard said, we should be beyond shock for little details like face shapes.

Theon wants to do her

The Lysene sailor (the beautiful Lysene sailor, admittedly from Asha's viewpoint, but he is stated as beautiful none the less) liked doing her.

No, call me cynical, but being a man and knowing men, I can't see half of Westeros queuing up to do someone based on a smile alone. GOT Asha is incredibly unsexy. Once more I realise that is crude and possibly even sexist (though I would say the same if Jaime wasn't the megahunk he is), but Yara is I'm afraid incredibly lacking in sex appeal, with her doughy face and sour pout.

Theon just wants to do some ironborn girl, and he's just finished with the Captain's daughter who isn't that attractive

Wait, men who spend their time sailing want to have sex with the only woman on the ship? What a surprise

Tris is madly in love with her

The last three I'm not particular sure of but I'm sure lots of people in Westeros would want to do a King's daughter.

And Asha shouldn't be incredibly sexy, she has to look like a sea captain. Besides some characters have to be noticeably more attractive than others, Cersei should look beautiful, as should Margaery, Dany and Sansa to leave something up in the air for the 'beautiful young Queen' of Maggy's prophecy.

I refuse to call the TV character Yara. There is no reason for changing that character's name...if you're a fan of GOT or ASOIAF...then you have a big enough attention span so as not to confuse Asha and Osha. This isn't a show for the casual viewer. I'm going to refer to Gemma Whelan's character as Asha regardless of what she's called on TV.

AMEN.

Hey,

I do agree on this one, I really don't see why they needed to play with her name. This is the first time I've seen the series after reading the book, so for me its a bit hard to see all the bits they added in and the 'changes' they've made for whatever reason.

It would be good to pick the scriptwriters brains to see why they have done this.

In my heart she will always be Asha lol

Theon just wants to do some ironborn girl, and he's just finished with the Captain's daughter who isn't that attractive

Wait, men who spend their time sailing want to have sex with the only woman on the ship? What a surprise

Tris is madly in love with her

The last three I'm not particular sure of but I'm sure lots of people in Westeros would want to do a King's daughter.

And Asha shouldn't be incredibly sexy, she has to look like a sea captain. Besides some characters have to be noticeably more attractive than others, Cersei should look beautiful, as should Margaery, Dany and Sansa to leave something up in the air for the 'beautiful young Queen' of Maggy's prophecy.

The Theon argument can go either way admittedly as he's more interested in getting wet than what the girl looks like. I might even reluctantly give you Tris (though I still maintain that even he would require some physical attraction), the rest though are simply not viable. Asha's crew presumably rape and pillage as much as the next number of Ironborn. Asha is also not the only woman on the ship I don't think. Either way, the point remains that half of the crew are not attracted to her for the sole reason of her being on the ship.

The "wanting to nob a princess" thing also goes both ways. Yes there is a status thing, but again, people won't be queuing up to marry Shireen when she comes of age. Asha is clearly attractive. Not ZOMG hot, but attractive. The actress in question isn't. Anyway, I imagine I shall get tedious continuing to make this point, so I shall let it lie, particularly as most of the casting has been excellent. Though finally, Asha's wiki page provides a good indicator of how I imagine her to be.

I think Asha was described prettier in the books than Yara now turned out in the series.

From the novel I got the picture of the Iron Born as kind of faded 'pirate' look, glad they did not do that.

On the other hand calculated shabbiness is ok to a point... but I don't know.

It's odd , have seen Gemma with minimal makeup and while she's not Helen of Troy, she looked fine.

I noticed is 202 her pants and boots , what is that a jerkin of sorts? Figured her to be wearing that.

And she had the 'Iron countenance' , Gemma is a good actress.

But that hair... now that's just a little too shabby-stringy. If she wore it short ... that would be an improvement.

It's really amazing how so many readers have build up Asha's beauty when reading the books. Some practically think she is a tomboy version of Dany/Cersei. BUT this is far from the case. This is Theon's description from ACOK, when he first sees her: (before knowing her as his sister)

"He liked what he saw. Ironborn, he knew at a glance; lean and long-legged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin, strong sure hands, a dirk at her belt. Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it."

I don't know about you guys, this seems like a fairly average looking woman. With a great smile. So far I think the casting works really well - this might even be a case of 'hollywood casting'. (actress being prettier than the character)

Is that quote supposed to support your argument? Cause Gemma Whelan does not fit a single description of that Asha.

I'll reserve further judgment cause Mark Addy didn't fit the description of King Robert, nor did Michelle Fairley for Catelyn Tully (although that was just mainly aging her up), but both actors have been phenomenal in their role. Perhaps Whelan can do the same.

But at least from the few scenes we've seen of her (which were way too rushed), this Asha is coming off as cold and grim. As someone earlier mentioned, her "swagger" comes across as more cruel and entitled, rather than confident. Asha in the books is brash and bold, while also being playful with genuine warmth beneath her more brazen exterior. I'm hoping the later episodes develop her in the same way.

Regardless though, she looks nothing like the Asha described in the books, and no, we weren't expecting a Megan Fox level of hotness. But the actress really is not that attractive. The actresses playing Ygritte and Osha are much better looking than Asha, which is a shame considering those two are not exactly described that favorably in the books.

In fact, Natalia Tena (Osha) would have been a much better casting for Asha, and she's not exactly a knockout stunner.

In fact, Natalia Tena (Osha) would have been a much better casting for Asha, and she's not exactly a knockout stunner.

Actually, to that I agree. Osha's actress has the Asha look.

But perhaps this is all an an elaborate series of actions brought upon by paranoia that we will all think Osha and Asha are the same person!

After all, the epileptic Lord of the Vale is most definitely the same guy who managed to capture the Kingslayer. Their names are so similar!

Is that quote supposed to support your argument? Cause Gemma Whelan does not fit a single description of that Asha

No, the quote was simply to illustrate that Asha in the book is not a tomboy version of Helen of Troy that many fans have built up in their heads.

While Gemma does not fit the literal description, her 'attractiveness level' is right, IMO. As for personality matching, we'll have to wait and see. But I liked what I saw in this episode.

I can understand wanting to alter the name, but why not just tack on a consonant to "Asha"?

• Tasha
  • Sasha
  • (even) Yasha
  • (why not) Basha, Casha, Dasha, Fasha, Gasha, Hasha, Jasha, Kasha, Lasha, Masha, Nasha, Pasha, Rasha, Vasha, Washa, or Zasha?

"Yara" is not a big deal, really, but it seems like an odd name to choose.

In Clash, Theon himself mentions how similar Asha and Osha’s names are.

And so what? If people can't distinguish between Theon's sister and princess of the Iron Islands and Osha, wildling captive of Winterfell then they shouldn't be watching anything more mature than the Tellytubbies.

I suppose Jon Connington will be Keith Connington and Brynden Tully is too close to Brandon so he'll have to be Mark Tully the Blackfish. They could both be called Asha and there'd still be differences, such as Jon Arryn and Jon Snow

It's really amazing how so many readers have build up Asha's beauty when reading the books.

So true, it's pathetic really. Glad that HBO didn't pander to the dorky idiots by having some uber-babe amazon vixen as Asha. That said, I DO agree that she lacked swagger and cockiness and I wasn't sold on the actress. But, it was only one episode, I'll give her time.

Theon wants to do her

Already refuted, and I'll add that her status AND her attitude has a lot more to it than you would expect. And as a real-life example, I give you Cleopatra. One of the most desired women in history, yet she was reportedly plain-looking (not ugly, but not head-turning "OMG BABE"); it was her charm, her wit, her voice and her charisma that made her so attractive.

So true, it's pathetic really. Glad that HBO didn't pander to the dorky idiots by having some uber-babe amazon vixen as Asha.

Er that's not what we're asking for.

Already refuted,

Hmm not really.

And as a real-life example, I give you Cleopatra. One of the most desired women in history, yet she was reportedly plain-looking (not ugly, but not head-turning "OMG BABE"); it was her charm, her wit, her voice and her charisma that made her so attractive.

There are also various sources who attest to her great beauty (including Plutarch, the guy who I assume you got the plain-looking quote from, one of the most unreliable ancient historians.)

Asha was never a "looker" so I don't mind the plain looks of the actress, what did bother me though was that she lacked some of the fire that we see of Asha in her original encounter with Theon, now she ended up just looking smug which felt somewhat wierd given the previous scene's incestous fondling.

But at least from the few scenes we've seen of her (which were way too rushed), this Asha is coming off as cold and grim. As someone earlier mentioned, her "swagger" comes across as more cruel and entitled, rather than confident. Asha in the books is brash and bold, while also being playful with genuine warmth beneath her more brazen exterior. I'm hoping the later episodes develop her in the same way.

Seems to me D&D have 'grim-ified' Pyke more than Dragonstone in order to made a distinction, tho we really have not seen much of the places, wonder if we ever really will?

Well Asha does not seem THAT grim and cold to me, but the thing about "swagger" and playful confidence , yeah, I thought that was very distinctive in Asha in the prose story. I know that actress can do it, so I lay the blame at D&D's doorstep...

... as you say other actors came into their own as time went on.

I think D&D have a 'screen time' problem with the Ironborn whose solution will be interesting to see.

It's not a big deal to me her name isn't that important her acting and being the character is what matters. Besides Westeros can't be filled with good looking people in every corner. Honestly though I'm a bit surprised Brienne is actually pretty but back to the point who cares if they don't go by the book; don't judge me though I love the books but I played it out a million times in my head when I read all of them. So I rather be surprised for once and see their vision of this series. And so far I haven't been let down but being honest Asha/Yara is not sexy but that's how it is.

Archived