[Book Spoilers] Crying Ros Scene

Envie

Jeyne Pool was in the series, as was her father. And she was even mentioned in episode 4, so I don't see any problem here. If Ros would end up being 'Arya Stark' the whole North would deserve to be flayed alive by Ramsay Bolton for stupidity. Along with the producers of the show who came up with that crappy idea.

There's a snapshot from the feast at Winterfell when the royal family came up there in season one floating around somewhere. It shows Sansa whispering to a smaller, dark haired girl who most of us assume is Jeyne Poole. She looks remarkably like an older Arya by a few years. If they cast that actress as Jeyne, the whole issue is solved.

My thoughts on this scene:

- Better than the scene in the first episode with him and Cersei, which made him look quite stupid. Being more concerned about his personal profit than the reason Ros is upset is not out of character for Littlefinger, IMO. I have a little doubt that LF is going to confess his life story to this woman, leave her in charge of the brothels (and presumably some spying that goes on there) and then threaten her so obviously- as people have said, LF tends to get his way by making people trust him- but I can just about overlook that aspect.

My main issue with this scene stems from the fact that Littlefinger-as-only-a-pimp is kind of becoming more overt. Yes, he owns brothels, and yes, he hides Cat in one. He also invests in many other businesses, he has installed men loyal to him in several roles in King's Landing, he buys and sells at a profit- he is extraordinarily financially capable, which is WHY he is the Master of Coin (and not only does it explain why he was brought in to do this job, despite his low birth, it also serves to give us more evidence that Littlefinger is very clever and capable). Otherwise, he's just a man who got rich owning brothels, which doesn't take a huge amount of financial acumen. Now, I understand that in the books, we mostly heard about these through the eyes of other characters, such as Tyrion, however, in the books, we also don't have him appearing at the brothel every other scene- not to mention, auditioning prostitutes, dealing with customer complaints, etc, which he surely wouldn't have the time to do. We have seen nothing of his other activities, despite the fact that, if they wanted to expand Littlefinger's character, they could quite easily have shown him selling positions, etc.

I doubt anyone here who doesn't think the scene is entirely fitting with LF's character isn't doing it because they think Petyr Baelish is really a morally upright righteous dude. I think it's the WAY his evilness, if you like, is portrayed that I think presents an issue. He is meant to be not only a skilled player of the Game of Thrones/ manipulator of people (which got knocked last episode by him threatening Cersei), but also very skilled with finances and various investments (and is instead coming across as someone who got rich through just one enterprise).

I'm not sure WHY they can't seem to get the LF scenes right this season. I don't know if it's that they're trying to add in extra stuff for him to do, because he is a major character, but aren't really sure how to go about it, or if they've just decided they can't do without extra nudity and have decided that Littlefinger is an easy ticket in that direction. I really hope it's not the latter, as they've written him pretty well in the past, IMO, and one hopes that when his main arc of the season kicks off (which will presumably be negotiating with Renly/ the Tyrells), they'll right themselves again.

Why do people keep thinking Ros as the 'fake Arya' is an even remotely plausible possibility? It's a horrible idea! There is no way in seven hells they're going to convince an audience (let alone the Boltons) that Ros, a full grown very mature looking voluptuous woman is a 12 year old little girl!! The producers would never try something that ridiculous no matter how many other strange changes they've made.

I never said Ros would be the fake Arya. I said Ros may play a part in training fake Arya. Considering we saw Ros training whores last week, it's not a huge stretch to think Ros, who knows a whole lot about Winterfell, could play a part in the training. As far as we have seen in the show, Jeyne was never in KL and even the two scenes she was in, the viewers have no idea who she is. She was basically a silent extra. Maybe they will cast and use Jeyne Poole (if they go that route), but if they don't, they have Ros around to help....with the training.

I never said Ros would be the fake Arya. I said Ros may play a part in training fake Arya. Considering we saw Ros training whores last week, it's not a huge stretch to think Ros, who knows a whole lot about Winterfell, could play a part in the training. As far as we have seen in the show, Jeyne was never in KL and even the two scenes she was in, the viewers have no idea who she is. She was basically a silent extra. Maybe they will cast and use Jeyne Poole (if they go that route), but if they don't, they have Ros around to help....with the training.

Ok, my mistake then. I think all the people who have been suggesting Ros as a stand-in for Jeyne has been driving me a little batty.

Ok, my mistake then. I think all the people who have been suggesting Ros as a stand-in for Jeyne has been driving me a little batty.

YES!! It's freakin' impossible :) Driving me crazy too....

Yes I agree, but perhaps we're not meant to be shown Jeyne's "training" at all. Maybe it will only be alluded to, with the scene with Ros standing as evidence of what LF is capable of.

But it doesn't make sense to use a non-canonical character when there are suitable canonical characters to use. I can understand deviations from the story such as the (impression) conversation between Cersei and Robert about the threat posed by that "Targaryen girl".

This one is a bit hard to justify imho.

I wouldn't object if the series was going to go for 20 - 24+ episodes like CSI or LOST - but considering its only running for 12episodes throwing sizable (HBO inspired) scenes for Ros and LF is exasperating for me.

Oh pleze don't put ideas into HBO - gawd forbid that they decide to use Ros as "fake Arya" or "fake Cersei". :D

My thoughts on this scene:

- Better than the scene in the first episode with him and Cersei, which made him look quite stupid. Being more concerned about his personal profit than the reason Ros is upset is not out of character for Littlefinger, IMO. I have a little doubt that LF is going to confess his life story to this woman, leave her in charge of the brothels (and presumably some spying that goes on there) and then threaten her so obviously- as people have said, LF tends to get his way by making people trust him- but I can just about overlook that aspect.

My main issue with this scene stems from the fact that Littlefinger-as-only-a-pimp is kind of becoming more overt. Yes, he owns brothels, and yes, he hides Cat in one. He also invests in many other businesses, he has installed men loyal to him in several roles in King's Landing, he buys and sells at a profit- he is extraordinarily financially capable, which is WHY he is the Master of Coin (and not only does it explain why he was brought in to do this job, despite his low birth, it also serves to give us more evidence that Littlefinger is very clever and capable). Otherwise, he's just a man who got rich owning brothels, which doesn't take a huge amount of financial acumen. Now, I understand that in the books, we mostly heard about these through the eyes of other characters, such as Tyrion, however, in the books, we also don't have him appearing at the brothel every other scene- not to mention, auditioning prostitutes, dealing with customer complaints, etc, which he surely wouldn't have the time to do. We have seen nothing of his other activities, despite the fact that, if they wanted to expand Littlefinger's character, they could quite easily have shown him selling positions, etc.

I doubt anyone here who doesn't think the scene is entirely fitting with LF's character isn't doing it because they think Petyr Baelish is really a morally upright righteous dude. I think it's the WAY his evilness, if you like, is portrayed that I think presents an issue. He is meant to be not only a skilled player of the Game of Thrones/ manipulator of people (which got knocked last episode by him threatening Cersei), but also very skilled with finances and various investments (and is instead coming across as someone who got rich through just one enterprise).

I'm not sure WHY they can't seem to get the LF scenes right this season. I don't know if it's that they're trying to add in extra stuff for him to do, because he is a major character, but aren't really sure how to go about it, or if they've just decided they can't do without extra nudity and have decided that Littlefinger is an easy ticket in that direction. I really hope it's not the latter, as they've written him pretty well in the past, IMO, and one hopes that when his main arc of the season kicks off (which will presumably be negotiating with Renly/ the Tyrells), they'll right themselves again.

Good points. The only reason why I think we're getting more brothel time is because GRRM wants to see more of Ros' snatch. Its one thing to write about beautiful naked women - its quite another to see them in person. I bet he's having the time of his life now.

Ros is undoubtedly the most hated character on this forum, LOL. But I know when they kill her off, everyone will want to see more of her nudity.

I want to clarify that I'm in no way a 'book purist' , nor did I start this thread because I hate Ros being added to the show and given so much screen time. There's plenty of people have voiced their dislike for her in this thread and last season too.

I actually liked Ros last season. I felt her saucy attitude with Tyrion about him being the "Imp" and her feisty comeback to Theon when he said he didn't want to pay for it ("then get a wife") were great. I even liked the scene with Pycelle even though most didn't (personally I think people were turned off by an old man doing squats in a sheer nightshirt haha). The actress is very cute and plays her part perfectly. At first I wasn't sure about the brothel / Littlefinger scene in season 1 but the story LF tells is important and sexposition has been useful in the show.

My problem this season has been her quick rise to prominence as apparently the 'manager' of the brothel as well as the large amount of screen time the brothel scenes have gotten and nothing else. It feels like the producers liked the 'shock' effect the sexposition / brothel scene last season had and tried to go for again this season but its falling short and doesn't feel as important or flow with the story at all since they've now veered so far off the book storyline. None of that happened because Ros didn't exist in the book. I guess if that does ultimately make me a book purist then ok, I've reasoned out my own disclaimer. ;)

I want to clarify that I'm in no way a 'book purist' , nor did I start this thread because I hate Ros being added to the show and given so much screen time. There's plenty of people have voiced their dislike for her in this thread and last season too.

I actually liked Ros last season. I felt her saucy attitude with Tyrion about him being the "Imp" and her feisty comeback to Theon when he said he didn't want to pay for it ("then get a wife") were great. I even liked the scene with Pycelle even though most didn't (personally I think people were turned off by an old man doing squats in a sheer nightshirt haha). The actress is very cute and plays her part perfectly. At first I wasn't sure about the brothel / Littlefinger scene in season 1 but the story LF tells is important and sexposition has been useful in the show.

My problem this season has been her quick rise to prominence as apparently the 'manager' of the brothel as well as the large amount of screen time the brothel scenes have gotten and nothing else. It feels like the producers liked the 'shock' effect the sexposition / brothel scene last season had and tried to go for again this season but its falling short and doesn't feel as important or flow with the story at all since they've now veered so far off the book storyline. None of that happened because Ros didn't exist in the book. I guess if that does ultimately make me a book purist then ok, I've reasoned out my own disclaimer. ;)

Yes, I also thought that Ros in Season 1 was useful and helped to be a plot mover - and to help the main characters perform "solioquys" - speaking out loud their thoughts. But in Season 2, it went a bit awry. GRRM should have garumped about it - but maybe he enjoys seeing the actress playing Ros too much - to complain.

I didn't really mind it, actually. I minded the unnecessary lip-wiping before it. Most of the brothel scenes are just way too over the top. At least Ros had her clothes on in this scene.

As for the purpose of Ros, I've been saying for ages, that she'll replace Alayaya. It is known. At least, she'd better be, or we'll have wasted all this time on her whoring her way down from Winterfell to KL for basically no reason at all.

I hate Ros but... I admit this scene ha changed my opinion to a degree. I now think that all her pre kings landing scenes were useless, the epic Littlefinger exposition scene was bad, but mostly i think her character is a good addition to the story. Mostly i think her scenes could be written better because Littlefinger is too intelligent to speak so openly to her. Plus the gross out stuff is as mature as having fart gags in the show. If they let her keep her clothes on for one or two more episodes I'll become a Ros acceptor maybe lover

Sure it's a money saving device/space filler but arguably it worked as a counterpoint to Tyrion's next scene, the emotional arc of each being mirror images.

LF appears to be sympathetic and then his inhumanity is revealed with Ros, and in the very next scene Tyrion is chummy with the Guard Captain dude and then unveils the opposite morality.

Sure we know that LF is not a nice guy and Tyrion is a good guy but by putting their slipperyness and opposite morality side by side concerning the same matter their qualities are magnified.

I dunno, maybe? :)

• 2 months later...

Because we need to shoehorn more screentime for Aidan Gillen and show what a Snidely Whiplash he is. I hate, hate, HATE what they've done with this character and I don't understand how Gillen has suddenly forgotten how to act, as well. For me, Littlefinger should have been more of an insidious evil in the show, a wild card like Varys. But instead he's just a stock villain who might as well stand there twiddling his mustache in all the scenes he's in.

Archived