From Pawn to Player? Rereading Sansa VI

brashcandy

AFFC – Sansa Alayne– II

Summary

Alayne wakes up to a cold room.

It will be worse when winter has us in its grip, she thought. Winter will make this place as cold as any tomb.

Her new bedchamber in the Maiden’s Tower is larger and more lavish than

little bedchamber where she’d been kept when Lady Lysa was alive.

While the maid lights the fire, she goes outside onto her balcony. It is cold and windy but the view made her forget everything. She looks out over the Vale. She thinks how lovely it is.

The snow-clad summit of the Giant’s Lance loomed above her, an immensity of stone and ice that dwarfed the castle perched upon its shoulder. Icicles twenty feet long draped the lip of the precipice where Alyssa’s Tears fell in summer. A falcon soared wide against the morning sky. Would that I had wings as well.

She looks down to each of the two castles below her and the tents of the Lords Declarant who are at the Gates of the Moon. She thinks they look as small as ants and thinks

If only they were truly ants, she thought, we could step on them and crush them.

Nestor Royce had closed the Gates of the Moon against them, but he only has 300 men while each of the Lords has a 1000 men. Alayne knows all their names: Young Lord Gilwood Hunter, Benedar Belmore, Lord of Strongsong. Symond Templeton, the Knight of Ninestars. HortonRedfort, Lord of Redfort. Anya Waynwood, Lady of Ironoaks and Bronze Yohn Royce. They had made a declaration against LF speaking of “misrule” and “false friends and evil counselors”.

It gets colder and she goes inside to choose something to wear to breakfast.

LF has given her all of Lysa’s old and fabulous clothing, but most of it is too big for her, so she had some of Lysa’s dresses when she was younger altered to fit her. She is as tall at 13 as Lysa was at 20. She looks through the wardrobe and finds a gown of Tully colours lined with vair. Gretchel helps her put the dress on and does her hair. She had darkened her roots again the night before and her hair is brown instead of red. She wonders what she’ll do when the dye runs out.

The wash had come from Tyrosh, across the narrow sea.

As she goes to breakfast she thinks how quiet and still the Eyrie is, because the servants talk quietly so that SR doesn’t have a fit and because there are no animals. Even the sound of the waterfall Alyssa’s Tears has stopped because it is frozen and would stay that way until spring.

She sits with SR who is playing with his porridge. He demands eggs and Alayne explains that there are none. With the Lords Declarant at the foot of the mountain, Mya Stone has been unable to bring them supplies. The Lords had said no food was to go up until SR was sent down. Sansa tells SR that he can have eggs when Mya comes. SR wants eggs today and starts demanding them. Alyane again tries to explain that there are no eggs and he will have to eat his porridge.

He says he is not hungry and wants to go back to bed. SR said he hasn’t slept because of Marillion singing.

Alayne put down her spoon. “If there had been singing, I should have heard it too. You had a bad dream, that’s all.”

“No, it wasn’t a dream.” Tears filled his eyes. “Marillion was singing again. Your father says he’s dead, but he isn’t. “

“He is.” It frightened her to hear him talk like this. Bad enough that he is small and sickly, what if he is mad as well?

Alyane tells him that Marillion loved Lysa and couldn’t live with the guilt of what he had done and had walked into the sky. She reflects that neither of them had seen the body, but believes he is dead. SR continues though

But I hear him every night. Even when I close the shutters and put a pillow on my head.

He says that LF should have cut his tongue out and Alyane thinks

He needed a tongue to confess.

She asks SR to be a good boy and eat the porridge for her. But SR says he doesn’t want it and flings his spoon across the room. It hits a tapestry. SR shouts that he wants eggs. LF and Maester Colemon appear behind them and LF tells SR that he shall have porridge and be thankful for it. The Maester tells SR his bannermen are coming to see him.

SR says he wants them to fly and LF says he is tempted to do so, but they have been granted safe passage and besides that they had already reached Stone.

“Why won’t they leave us be?” wailed Alayne. “We never did them any harm. What do they want of us?”

“Just Lord Robert. Him, and the Vale.” Petyr smiled. “There will be eight of them. Lord Nestor is showing them up, and they have Lyn Corbray with them. Ser Lyn is not the sort of man to stay away when blood is in the offing.”

His words did little to soothe her fears.

She thinks about the reputation of Lyn Corbray who had slain Prince Lewyn of Dorne during Robert’s rebellion. Although LF had told her that the Prince was badly wounded by the time Corbray got to him, although it is best not to mention that to Corbray. She asks why he is coming as she thought the Corbrays supported him. LF says that Ser Lyn’s brother does not get on with him as their father left the family sword, Lady Forlorn (I presume Valerian) to Ser Lyn and not his brother Lionel.

SR pipes up that he doesn’t like Ser Lyn. and that he should not be there.

Not here. The Eyrie is impregnable, Mother said.

LF tells him that his mother is dead and until he is 16, LF rules the Eyrie. LF calls for a new spoon for SR’s porridge, but SR throws the bowl of porridge at him, which LF avoids, but it hits Maester Colemon instead. Alayne tries to sooth SR, but he goes into a fit. He falls backwards, accidently kicking Alayne in the process and winding her. LF is disgusted.

Alyane hopefully thinks that it is not so bad a fit as his last one. The guards come and LF orders them to take him away and have him leeched.

I could carry him myself, Alayne thought. He is no heavier than a doll.

Maester Colemon says that his condition is worsening and tries to help him sleep. LF says that he sleeps 12 hours a day and does need to be awake sometimes. The Maester continues that Lysa would breastfeed him to calm him because Archmaester Ebrose says that mother’s milk has health giving properties.

“Is that your counsel, maester? That we find a wet nurse for the Lord of the Eyrie and Defender of the Vale? When shall we wean him, on his wedding day? That way he can move directly from his nurse’s nipples to his wife’s.” Lord Petyr’s laugh made it plain what he thought of that. “No, I think not. I suggest you find another way. The boy is fond of sweets, is he not?”

“Sweets?” said Colemon.

“Sweets. Cakes and pies, jams and jellies, honey on the comb. Perhaps a pinch of sweetsleep in his milk, have you tried that? Just a pinch, to calm him and stop his wretched shaking.”

“A pinch?” The apple in the maester’s throat moved up and down as he swallowed. “One small pinch. perhaps, perhaps. Not too much, and not too often, yes, I might try. ”

“A pinch,” Lord Petyr said, “before you bring him forth to meet the lords.” “As you command, my lord.” The maester hurried out, his chain clinking softly with every step.

Alayne asks LF if he wants porridge and he says he detests porridge and would rather have a kiss. Alyane thinks a daughter shouldn’t refuse her father a kiss, so gives him a quick peck on the cheek and just as quickly steps away from him.

“How… dutiful.” Littlefinger smiled with his mouth, but not his eyes.

He then tells her he has tasks for her and gives her instructions for getting the hospitality ready for the guests. He then says she should change her clothing as well. Alayne looks at her dress and begins to ask if it is too.. but LF cuts her off and tells her

“Is it too—” Tully. The Lords Declarant will not be pleased by the sight of my bastard daughter prancing about in my dead wife’s clothes. Choose something else. Need I remind you to avoid sky blue and cream?

“No.” Sky blue and cream were the colors of House Arryn.

He tells her Bronze Yohn is the only one that matters. Alayne reminds him that Sansa Stark has previously been seen by him at the Tourney of the Hand and met him in Winterfell

when his son rode north to take the black.” She had fallen wildly in love with Ser Waymar, she remembered dimly, but that was a lifetime ago, when she was a stupid little girl.

LF tells her that at the Tourney he would have seen was just a face in the crowd and that at Winterfell Sansa Stark was just a little girl with red hair, while Alayne is a tall, fair maiden with Chestnut hair and advises her that men see what they want to see. He tell her to prepare the Solar.

Alayne asks why not the High Hall, and LF says that his presence in the High Hall might offend the Lords as he is too low born to sit in the high seat of the Arryns.

Alayne regretting it as she says it begins to suggest giving them Robert. LF says and “the vale?” to which she retorts. “They have the Vale.”

LF says they have much of it, but that he is liked in Gulltown and has his own Lordly friends in the Corbrays, the Graftons and the Lynderlys.

Still, where would you have us go, Alayne? Back to my mighty stronghold on the Fingers?” She had thought about that.

She had been thinking about that and suggests they go to Harranhal as it is his seat. LF says he needed Harranhal to be elevated enough to wed Lysa, but that the castle is ruined and cavernous and haunted and there is the small matter of the curse.

Alyane responds

“Curses are only in songs and stories.”

That seemed to amuse him. “Has someone made a song about Gregor Clegane dying of a poisoned spear thrust? Or about the sellsword before him, whose limbs Ser Gregor removed a joint at a time? That one took the castle from Ser Amory Lorch, who received it from Lord Tywin. A bear killed one, your dwarf the other. Lady Whent’s died as well, I hear. Lothstons, Strongs, Harroways, Strongs. Harrenhal has withered every hand to touch it.”

“Then give it to Lord Frey.”

Petyr laughed. “Perhaps I shall. Or better still, to our sweet Cersei. Though I should not speak harshly of her, she is sending me some splendid tapestries. Isn’t that kind of her?”

Hearing the Queen’s name makes Alyane stiffen and she says the Queen is not kind and that she scares her. She begins to reflect on what will happen to her if the Queen finds her, but LF cuts her off and tells her that Cersei might need to be removed sooner than he’d planned, but that she might remove herself first. He tells her

“In the game of thrones, even the humblest pieces can have wills of their own. Sometimes they refuse to make the moves you’ve planned for them. Mark that well, Alayne.

He says Cersei has yet to learn that and she should go and see to the hospitality and a change of clothes. She makes sure the wine is mulled, finds the right cheese and has the cook bake enough bread for 20 people.

Once they eat our bread and salt they are our guests and cannot harm us.

She thinks that the Freys had broken guest right when they murdered her brother and mother, but that she didn’t think Bronze Yohn would break it. She then goes to the Solar and has tables and chairs set-up. She reflects that they will be at Snow by now and that it will take them the whole day to climb up. She reflects that they may talk into the night and decides to get more candles. While Maddy makes the fire, Alayne has the scented Beeswax candles found and goes to the kitchen to make sure everything id sorted with the food and drink. She then goes to bath and change.

There was a gown of purple silk that gave her pause, and another of dark blue velvet sashed with silver that would have woken all the colour in her eyes, but in the end she remembered that Alayne was after all a bastard, and must not presume to dress above her station. The dress she picked was lambswool, dark brown and simply cut, with leaves and vines embroidered around the bodice, sleeves, and hem in golden thread. It was modest and becoming, though scare richer than something a serving girl might wear. Petyr had given her all of Lady Lysa’s jewels as well, and she tried on several necklaces, but they all seemed ostentatious. In the end she chose a simple velvet ribbon in autumn gold.

She sees herself in a mirror and thinks that Bronze Yohn will never know her and that she hardly knows herself and feeling almost as bold as LF, she puts on a fake smile and goes to meet the guests.

The two elderly Lords Declarent (Redfort and Waynwood) come up by basket, but the rest climb the stair. She welcomes them in SR’s name and serves them food and drink. LF had given her their coats of arms to study so that she can immediately recognize them. She looks at each of the Lords in turn, describing their physical features and noting if they give her a clue about the Lord’s personalities.

She notes

The Lord of Runestone stood as tall as the Hound. Though his hair was grey and his face lined, Lord Yohn still looked as though he could break most younger men like twigs in those huge gnarled hands. His seamed and solemn face brought back all of Sansa’s memories of his time at Winterfell.
She thinks that he must recognize her as she timidly offers him a glass of wine. He has slate-grey eyes and asks if he knows her.

Alayne doesn’t know what to say, but Lord Nestor tells him that Alayne is LFs natural daughter. Ser Lyn makes a slightly rude joke and Alayne blushes with embarrassment. Lady Waynwood asks her how old she is and she says 14 and not a child but a maiden flowered. Lord Hunter jokes that he hopes she is not deflowered. Ser Lyn jokes “yet”, but suggests she is ripe for plucking. Lady Waynwood chastises them both and asks Alyane to take them to her father.

Alayne takes them through the castle to LF’s solar and LF asks her to serve the wine. As she goes to get the wine, she is pleased to see the candles have been lit and the room smells of nutmeg. Nestor Royce sit beside LF and all the other Lords sit opposite him apart from Ser Lyn who stands by the fire. Alyane sees him smile at Ser Lothor and thinks he is handsome but that she doesn’t like the way he smiles.

LF commends the Lords on their declaration and wishes he too could have been invited to sign it. This takes the Lords by surprise and LF continues that these false friends and evil counselors should be routed out and that he only has SR’s best interests at heart. Bronze Yohn, eventually says they didn’t come to bandy words with him. LF asks what they want from him and they tell him that they want him gone and that the Riverlands need a Lord as Riverrun is besieged and bandits are looting the land and the Brackens and Blackwoods are in conflict. LF says he has made it sound very attractive but he has duties here. Bronze Yohn tells LF that he means to take SR to Runestone to foster him. LF asks why his house and not one of the other Lords. Lady Waynwood says he will not divide them and set them against one another. She says that their Maester is older and better trained to treat SR’s frailties ad that he will have young companions. LF says that SR is very fond of Alayne and will miss her if she goes and suggests that Lord Grafton and Lord Lynderly are sending their sons and asks Lady Waynwood if she might send her ward Harrold Hardyng.

This amuses Lady Waynwood who calls him a bold thief. LF says he does not wish to steal the boy, but that he and SR should be friends. Brozne Yohn says they will meet at Runestone and that if he hands over the boy, then he can go unmolested to Harranhal. LF says that his late wife made him protector. Lady Waynwood says that Lysa Tully was Jon Arryn’s widow, but that LF is not related to SR and Lord Hunter says that Lysa was never really of the Vale and had no right to make him protector. LF asks if Lysa had a right to dispose of her own son.

Nestor Royce interjects and says he had once hoped to wed Lysa and says that if any of them had wed her, they would have respected her wishes. Bronze Yohn is still not placated and attempts again to say SR should go with him. Symond Templeton reminds LF of the forces below and asks if they are threatening him with war. Bronze Yohn tells LF that they will have Lord Robert.

It seems to Alayne that there is a stalemate situation, but then Ser Lyn joins the conversation.

“All this talk makes me ill. Littlefinger will talk you out of your smallclothes if you listen long enough. The only way to settle his sort is with steel.” He drew his longsword.

Petyr spread his hands. “I wear no sword, ser.”

“Easily remedied.” Candlelight rippled along the smoke-grey steel of Corbray’s blade, so dark that it put Sansa in mind of Ice, her father’s greatsword. “Your apple-eater holds a blade. Tell him to give it to you, or draw that dagger.”

She saw Lothor Brune reach for his own sword, but before the blades could meet Bronze Yohn rose in wrath. “Put up your steel, ser! Are you a Corbray or a Frey? We are guests here.”

All the other Lords agree that this behaviour has shamed them. Ser Lyn calls them old women and walks out.

Lady Waynwood says LF must forgive the display, but LF queries why he must and says as they brought him they are responsible for his actions and they must now hear his demands. LF tells them to remove their armies,

Go home and leave my son in peace.
That the misrule was Lysa’s work and that they are to grant him a year to set the Vale to rights and if he doesn’t do it, then he will leave. LF threatens them with war if they do not comply and eventually the Lords give LF his year, but Bronze Yohn makes his feelings clear about how little he likes it.

Afterwards there is a feast and the Lords meet SR who plays the little Lord. Ser Lyn and Bronze Yohn do not stay and instead go down the mountain.

He bewitched them, Alayne thought as she lay abed that night listening to the wind howl outside her windows. She could not have said where the suspicion came from, but once it crossed her mind ot would not let her sleep. She tossed and turned, worrying at it like a dog at some old bone.

She gets up and goes to see LF. He asks what brings her there so late. She asks what will happen in a year. He tells her how each of the Lords will eventually come round to his side or perhaps dies, apart from Bronze Yohn who will always be hostile.

Alyane asks about Ser Lyn.

The candlelight was dancing in his eyes. “Ser Lyn will remain my implacable enemy. He willspeak of me with scorn and loathing to every man he meets, and lend his sword to every secret plot to bring me down.”

That was when her suspicion turned to certainty. “And how shall you reward him for this service?”

Littlefinger laughed aloud. “With gold and boys and promises, of course. Ser Lyn is a man of simple tastes, my sweetling. All he likes is gold and boys and killing.”

Analysis

In this chapter we really see Alayne begin to develop her analytical and political observational skills as well as her own first steps to running a household. There is also a lot of symbolism and possible foreshadowing.

Captivity and Freedom and Flying

As the chapter opens, Sansa really is the Princess in the Tower to an extent. She is now the Maid in the Maiden’s Tower. Sansa is now a prisoner inside the walls of Alayne, but she is also safely hidden there too. The change of chapter heading from Sansa to Alayne is I think significant. As GRRM said in So Spake Martin when asked if Sansa would meet Sandor again

“Why, the Hound is dead, and Sansa may be dead as well. There's only Alayne Stone.”.

Given the role of identity in both AFFC and ADWD, this could mean that Alayne and Sandor will meet, but the Hound and Sansa are both lost personas. Even if Sansa is revealed, she will never truly be Sansa again.

The language she uses in terms of her accommodation is also telling. When she recalls her previous bedchamber she refers to herself as being “kept” which again brings up the idea of imprisonment. She was still the bird in the cage with Lysa.

Indeed even in these more luxurious apartments, she stands on her balcony desperate to fly away.

A falcon soared wide against the morning sky. Would that I had wings as well.
Sansa has been connected to flying things and birds since AGOT and given GRRM’s confirmation that all the Stark children are Wargs, it wouldn’t surprise me if she started warging them. She may yet she Warg a Dragon.

Flight also parallels to freedom and for the last two and a half years of her life she has been seeking an escape from captivity to somewhere safe. Indeed the situation is less than safe and they are in a virtual siege state.

Clothing

Lysa’s wardrobe is highlighted in detail as is Sansa’s first choice of dress for the day, a red and blue dress that even LF describes as too Tully. The importance of dressing in House Colours is brought up by LF

“Is it too—” Tully. The Lords Declarant will not be pleased by the sight of my bastard daughter prancing about in my dead wife’s clothes. Choose something else. Need I remind you to avoid sky blue and cream?

“No.” Sky blue and cream were the colors of House Arryn.

We then see Sansa look through Lysa’s wardrobe for something to wear. There are several possible foreshadowing points and possibly a parallel to Cersei in this passage. The first is what Alayne’s options are and what she chooses, barring in mind the importance of House Colours.

There was a gown of purple silk that gave her pause, and another of dark blue velvet sashed with silver that would have woken all the colour in her eyes, but in the end she remembered that Alayne was after all a bastard, and must not presume to dress above her station. The dress she picked was lambswool, dark brown and simply cut, with leaves and vines embroidered around the bodice, sleeves, and hem in golden thread. It was modest and becoming, though scare richer than something a serving girl might wear. Petyr had given her all of Lady Lysa’s jewels as well, and she tried on several necklaces, but they all seemed ostentatious. In the end she chose a simple velvet ribbon in autumn gold.

The first gown is “gown of purple silk that gave her pause”. Purple traditionally is only worn by Kings. She thinks about wearing this dress, but moves on. I wonder if this signifies that she will have the option to marry the King and decide not to.

The second gown is “dark blue velvet sashed with siver that would have woken all the colour in her eyes”. Now these aren’t the colours of House Arryn, but they are close and I would be interested to see if any other House has these colours. Again it is due to her bastard status that she rejects this dress as being to high for her new station. Perhaps Harry will feel that he does not wish to marry a bastard?

The third gown is “dark brown “ with “leaves and vines embroidered around the bodice, sleeves, and hem in golden thread” and she chooses to wear “simple velvet ribbon in autumn gold”. Now this may mean nothing as the dress should be black to be exact, but the reference to leaves and autumn gold and the dark brown are very similar to the colours of House Clegane. Indeed the Autumn gold does seem reminiscent of Sandor’s tale about the three dogs dying in the Autumn grass. As this is the dress she chooses, is this foreshadowing her choosing as simpler life with Sandor? Or could it be her dressing appropriately to her station?

However it also seems to be very much connected to Cersei and the parallel journeys their lives are taking. At a similar point in the book both women choose similar clothing. In deed this choice of attire scene might be the cross over point between Sansa ascending to greater things and Cersei beginning to fall. Certainly the parallel between Cersei and Sansa have been present throughout the series and this scene may again reflect that. When Cersei goes to meet the High Septon

“Nothing too rich or colorful,” she said. “Something suitably devout and drab for the High Septon. He’s like to make me pray with him.”

In the end, she chose a soft woolen dress that covered her from throat to ankle, with only a few small vines embroidered on the bodice and the sleeves in golden thread to soften the severity of its lines.

They chose almost an identical dress and do so thinking about the impression they need to create. Much as I would like to think the dress choice relates to Sandor, the coincidence of it being so close to Cersei’s dress is too large to ignore.

Caring

We also see the Alayne is actually very caring (if frustrated) with SR. The boy clearly is in some distress and it is possible that Marillion is still alive and that LF is tormenting him. However SR talks about hearing him even when he puts his “pillow” over his head, which makes me suspect they might actually be nightmares.

We also see LF’s disgust with the boy and Alayne (although not aware of the meaning) does here LF tell the Maester to give SR Sweetsleep. What also comes through in this chapter is her guilt about implicating Marillion in Lysa’s death.

Songs and Stories

In the last couple of chapters, we have seen Sansa move away from her love of songs and stories. In this chapter we see her dismiss a curse, which she previously would have been wary of.

“Curses are only in songs and stories.” That seemed to amuse him.
Sadly LF seems to be pleased that he is destroying her love of tales and the change in her personality.

Politics

We see Sansa learn more and more about how to manipulate people in this chapter. She is observing LF and worked out that Corbray was in LF’s pocket, which was very astute. LF has the Vale Lords in his pocket. She is also playing another role where people do not pay any attention to her, but she is free to hear what they say.

Also there was one interesting line from LF, which may mean nothing but he does say

Go home and leave my son in peace.
Is perhaps SR actually his son and not Jon Arryn’s?

Safety

Again desiring home and a place of safety have been large factors in her arc. She currently has no home and she is still afraid (and rightly so) of Cersei and what will happen to her if she is found. At her suggestion of leaving LF asks where would they go.

Still, where would you have us go, Alayne? Back to my mighty stronghold on the Fingers?” She had thought about that.

She suggests they go to Harranhal. The mention of the Fingers as a place of sanctuary, or Harrenhal, could foreshadow a visit to the Castle or a life on the Fingers.

Sandor

In this chapter she compares Bronze Yohn (the man who she briefly considers turning to for help) to Sandor.

The Lord of Runestone stood as tall as the Hound. Though his hair was grey and his face lined, Lord Yohn still looked as though he could break most younger men like twigs in those huge gnarled hands. His seamed and solemn face brought back all of Sansa’s memories of his time at Winterfell.

He is a link to happier times at Winterfell and the memories of his son are ones of a crush.

when his son rode north to take the black.” She had fallen wildly in love with Ser Waymar, she remembered dimly, but that was a lifetime ago, when she was a stupid little girl.

It is sad that she now seems to see romance and crushes through such a cynical screen. However it maybe reading too much into things, but she does associate Bronze Yohn with strength and safety and his son with desire. A comparison to Sandor again may highlight an unconscious attraction.

The Younger Queen

Along with the purple gown, there are other links in this chapter to her and (F)Aegon. Both are in similar situations: pretending to be the children of men who were in unrequited love (or professed to be in love) with one of their parents. A parent that was subsequently killed and they have to hide and pretend to be someone else to save them. Indeed (F)Aegon even uses hair dye from Tyrosh, just like Sansa.

The wash had come from Tyrosh, across the narrow sea.

Stone Giant

The following phrase could mean nothing, but given the Mountain’s use of a Lance in AGOT and Sansa being told of it and of course her marriage to Tyrion, it may again hint to the savage giant being Tyrion or Ser Robert Strong.

The snow-clad summit of the Giant’s Lance loomed above her, an immensity of stone and ice that dwarfed the castle perched upon its shoulder.

Great analysis Rapsie :)

If only they were truly ants, she thought, we could step on them and crush them.

These two quotes highlight the almost callous way that Sansa is beginning to view human life. She now has to be Alayne, and this is the way that Alayne has to view the world if Sansa is going to remain safe from harm.

Ser Lyn is very handsome, for an older man, she thought, but I do not like the way he smiles.

Again we see evidence that Sansa is able now to see past a pretty face and be a lot more analytical about a person's true nature. She suspected Ser Lyn even before he put on the act to disgrace the other Lord Declarants, and this is useful skill in being able to play the game.

He will know me. How could he not? She considered throwing herself at his feet to beg for his protection. He never fought for Robb, why should he fight for me? The war is finished and Winterfell is fallen.

Would that I had wings as well.

Even though Sansa is gradually becoming accustomed to her Alayne persona, she still very much desires to be free of LF and the Eyrie. Her thoughts on not appealing to Bronze Yohn showed that she isn't about to trust even someone who was a family friend. She's become a lot more wary and cautionary, and makes a valid judgement about there being little hope in appealing to the man at that time.

More later....

In this chapter Sansa is clearly more settled into her new status quo at the Eyrie. Martin spends a lot of time describing her clothing, her sleeping arrangements, her chores, and showing what dealing with Sweetrobin is like. Thoughts of escape and departure are much fewer -- there are only two, first when she sees the falcon and wishes she had wings, and later when she considers revealing herself to Bronze Yohn but immediately talks herself out of it. I thought the anxiety she experiences elsewhere in the chapter was because of the Lords Declarant and Cersei, not because of LF. In fact, she thinks of LF as "Petyr" (rather than "Littlefinger") almost every time in the chapter, except in two noteworthy instances where she reverts to "Littlefinger." Here's the first:

"He looked at her with Littlefinger’s eyes. “I’d sooner break my fast with a kiss.” A true daughter would not refuse her sire a kiss, so Alayne went to him and kissed him, a quick dry peck upon the cheek, and just as quickly stepped away. “How . . . dutiful.” Littlefinger smiled with his mouth, but not his eyes."

So there's still the duality pointed out by Lady Kraken upthread between Petyr the loving protector and Littlefinger the ruthless perv. But the negative and distrustful references to LF have definitely reduced in number. One of the most worrying lines is "A true daughter would not refuse her sire a kiss." The LF-perviness gets worse in each AFFC chapter, as Sansa feels increasingly comfortable in her new life. She may eventually tell herself that these "kisses" are just an unpleasant fact of life, either part of her daily "duties" like dealing with Sweetrobin, or what she "owes" LF in exchange for safety (and eventually, a ladyship or queenship). She does view, accurately I think, that her interests are aligned with LF's for the time being.

Sansa's second noteworthy reference to Petyr as "Littlefinger" is in the very last paragraph, when LF reveals that he is giving Lyn Corbray "gold and boys and promises." It was very interesting to me that Sansa figures out LF's play with Lyn Corbray and becomes so curious about it that she can't get to sleep. This shows not only that she's perceptive enough to pick up on this deception, but also that the deception is extremely interesting to her. However, she reverts to calling him "Littlefinger" when he reveals the disturbing particulars of how he's buying Corbray's loyalty, which could indicate Sansa's distaste for these methods -- or at least that she has a clear-eyed view of who he is.

I had different views on a few things than Rapsie above. First, I did not come away with this chapter thinking Sansa is still feeling guilty about Marillion. "He needed a tongue to confess" is a practical statement, made in response to Robert complaining that LF ignored his request to cut out Marillion's tongue. Robert insists that he can still hear Marillion singing, but Alayne can't hear it. I thought this was meant to symbolize that Robert was still haunted by the events, but that Sansa has now managed to put them out of her head.

Second, I'm not yet sure if Sansa is truly coming to care for Robert. I don't think we can necssarily take her affectionate words to him at face value, as she is now playing a part all the time. Here are the few thoughts she has of the boy:

It frightened her to hear him talk like this. Bad enough that he is small and sickly, what if he is mad as well?

It is not so bad a spell as the last one, Alayne thought, trying to be hopeful….

I could carry him myself, Alayne thought. He is no heavier than a doll.

Folks may disagree, but I view these as practical statements. Of course she doesn't dislike the boy, but I don't see a lot of affection either. The impression I came away with was that she views Robert as one of the daily chores she must manage. Considering this, and her growing aptitude for the game, I recalled these words from Brash upthread when I read this chapter:

Is this the final break in being a pawn? When you begin to treat others as pawns yourself?

One more point:

Along with the purple gown, there are other links in this chapter to her and (F)Aegon. Both are in similar situations: pretending to be the children of men who were in unrequited love (or professed to be in love) with one of their parents. A parent that was subsequently killed and they have to hide and pretend to be someone else to save them. Indeed (F)Aegon even uses hair dye from Tyrosh, just like Sansa.

This was fascinating to me. The political logic of an Aegon-Sansa marriage at some point seems so perfect to me -- Aegon will have a Targaryen claim (phony, but perception trumps reality), Dorne, he is conquering parts of the Stormlands, and the Golden Company has friends in the Reach. Sansa can potentially deliver the Vale, the Riverlands, and the North. (That's all Westeros except the Westerlands and the Iron Islands.) Could it happen as early as TWOW, as some suggest, with Sansa being the "younger queen" and Aegon taking KL? Or… could it happen in the very end of the series, after ice and fire and Jon and Dany and magical forces have all spent themselves… will a pair of nonmagical, practical, very human rulers end up uniting the northern and southern kingdoms with their political marriage, and rebuilding the continent?

Lost Lord, great post as usual :) I agree with you that Sansa is no longer feeling guilty about Marillion. Whilst Sweetrobin is still emotionally plagued by the events and wanted Marillion to suffer, Sansa is able to sleep well (compare this to how affected she was after Joffrey's death) and sardonically notes just why Marillion was left with his tongue. Add this to her thoughts on the men below gathered as ants, and a picture emerges, that may be more or less disturbing based on how you view this new Sansa. It's interesting how she is unable to sleep before figuring out just how LF "bewitched" the Lords Declarant. I agree with you that it shows an increasing interest in how the game is played, but it's still anyone's guess if all of this is making her want to get deeper involved or not.

So there's still the duality pointed out by Lady Kraken upthread between Petyr the loving protector and Littlefinger the ruthless perv. But the negative and distrustful references to LF have definitely reduced in number. One of the most worrying lines is "A true daughter would not refuse her sire a kiss." The LF-perviness gets worse in each AFFC chapter, as Sansa feels increasingly comfortable in her new life. She may eventually tell herself that these "kisses" are just an unpleasant fact of life, either part of her daily "duties" like dealing with Sweetrobin, or what she "owes" LF in exchange for safety (and eventually, a ladyship or queenship). She does view, accurately I think, that her interests are aligned with LF's for the time being.

Sansa's second noteworthy reference to Petyr as "Littlefinger" is in the very last paragraph, when LF reveals that he is giving Lyn Corbray "gold and boys and promises." It was very interesting to me that Sansa figures out LF's play with Lyn Corbray and becomes so curious about it that she can't get to sleep. This shows not only that she's perceptive enough to pick up on this deception, but also that the deception is extremely interesting to her. However, she reverts to calling him "Littlefinger" when he reveals the disturbing particulars of how he's buying Corbray's loyalty, which could indicate Sansa's distaste for these methods -- or at least that she has a clear-eyed view of who he is.

That's a really good point, and fits with how Sansa muses on how he is Petyr Baelish, her protector, but also Lord Littlefinger and how Littlefinger is no friend of hers. Sansa seems to have taken on a similar duality in Sansa/Alayne and as of this chapter, she is feeling more comfortable with her Alayne persona and unlike in the last chapter, she is less fearful about playing the game. It's still obvious to her it's dangerous, but it seems she's starting to figure out how it's done, and that it's gratifying to figure out how things work. When she figures out that LF has bought Lyn Corbray, it's almost as if she has passed a test. I especially like her line "And how shall you reward him for his service?" since that indicates a boldness on Sansa's part, and that she already knew the answer. In think in this section, she is also a lot like Littlefinger's protegé. Which in itself is an interesting setup, for the pupil usurping and overthrowing the master is another rather common theme. From what we know of Sansa from the last chapter, she is learning how LF wants her to act and speak to please him ("Lies and Arbor gold") and here she seems to continue this pattern of speech, too. The line about Lyn Corbray would not have seen amiss coming from Tyrion, and he's an accomplished player of the Game.

Sandor

In this chapter she compares Bronze Yohn (the man who she briefly considers turning to for help) to Sandor.

It is sad that she now seems to see romance and crushes through such a cynical screen. However it maybe reading too much into things, but she does associate Bronze Yohn with strength and safety and his son with desire. A comparison to Sandor again may highlight an unconscious attraction.

I was going to post that "this is the only Sansa chapter since AGOT where the Hound is not mentioned", but he bloody well is! :lol:

Also, again Sansa seems to compare other men to him, almost unconsciously. So far we've had Tyrion, the Kettleblacks, Lothor Brune and many more, and in the case of Bronze Yohn Royce, she seems to associate it with strength and stability. It's a bit of a shame she didn't "out" herself to Royce here since it seems he was on the verge of recognising her too. It makes me wonder if she finally manages to off LF while still in the Vale, could she take refuge with Bronze Yohn Royce at Runestone for a while?

Regarding the romance bit, I took that as Sansa being really cynical and bitter about love and romance, reinforced by her thoughts that she does not wish to marry again. She has definitely divorced herself from her old self and her old thoughts of songs and romance with pretty, pretty princes.

@ BrashCandy and Lost Lord

I'm still not sure the thought about crushing the Lords like ants or the tongue thought are maliciously meant. The Lords are effectively besieging them. I took the line about Ants to reflect how powerless Sansa still feels and how she wants to stop feeling powerless. It ties in with her later wail to LF about why won't they just leave them alone.

I think the tongue comment could be read either way: sardonic or with guilt. The use of italics in the series always puzzles me, especially regarding what they signify!

...The use of italics in the series always puzzles me, especially regarding what they signify!

thought isn't it - interior dialogue/what the character is thinking to themselves?

thought isn't it - interior dialogue/what the character is thinking to themselves?

Some things could be interpreted differently though depending on what the character feels, and sometimes we just don't know. When Sansa thinks about crushing the soliders like ants, is she fearful for her own life, just wishing destruction to a nuisance?

There is a similar issue sometimes with spoken lines, that depending on intonation or how they're said, you'll get a different meaning out of them.

(Sorry Rapsie if this is not what you meant, this was how I interpreted it, and what I have thought about when reading some of these lines.)

@ Lyanna Stark

That is what I meant! I think GRRM leaves things intentionally vague at times.

@Lummel

As for the italics, they are also used for people speaking out loud, such as in the 'are you a Corbray or a Frey" exchange. Also GRRM sometimes only seems to have one word in the sentence in italics, such as "pillow" when SR is talking about SR singing.

Great analysis! :thumbsup:

Clothing

Lysa’s wardrobe is highlighted in detail as is Sansa’s first choice of dress for the day, a red and blue dress that even LF describes as too Tully. The importance of dressing in House Colours is brought up by LF

We then see Sansa look through Lysa’s wardrobe for something to wear. There are several possible foreshadowing points and possibly a parallel to Cersei in this passage. The first is what Alayne’s options are and what she chooses, barring in mind the importance of House Colours.

The first gown is “gown of purple silk that gave her pause”. Purple traditionally is only worn by Kings. She thinks about wearing this dress, but moves on. I wonder if this signifies that she will have the option to marry the King and decide not to.

The second gown is “dark blue velvet sashed with siver that would have woken all the colour in her eyes”. Now these aren’t the colours of House Arryn, but they are close and I would be interested to see if any other House has these colours. Again it is due to her bastard status that she rejects this dress as being to high for her new station. Perhaps Harry will feel that he does not wish to marry a bastard?

The third gown is “dark brown “ with “leaves and vines embroidered around the bodice, sleeves, and hem in golden thread” and she chooses to wear “simple velvet ribbon in autumn gold”. Now this may mean nothing as the dress should be black to be exact, but the reference to leaves and autumn gold and the dark brown are very similar to the colours of House Clegane. Indeed the Autumn gold does seem reminiscent of Sandor’s tale about the three dogs dying in the Autumn grass. As this is the dress she chooses, is this foreshadowing her choosing as simpler life with Sandor? Or could it be her dressing appropriately to her station?

However it also seems to be very much connected to Cersei and the parallel journeys their lives are taking. At a similar point in the book both women choose similar clothing. In deed this choice of attire scene might be the cross over point between Sansa ascending to greater things and Cersei beginning to fall. Certainly the parallel between Cersei and Sansa have been present throughout the series and this scene may again reflect that. When Cersei goes to meet the High Septon.

They chose almost an identical dress and do so thinking about the impression they need to create. Much as I would like to think the dress choice relates to Sandor, the coincidence of it being so close to Cersei’s dress is too large to ignore.

Yes, this was something that stood out in my mind as well. And the comparison reminded me of the post when I suggested the colors of the cloaks Sansa has received had some kind of meaning, bearing upon their color. (Sandor's white, Tyrion's red and we didn't know the color of the cloak Petyr gave her, since it was night when he took her away).

I suppose the comparision between the dresses and the colors could have double meanings as well, similar to the Giant in the Castle of Snow prophecy. So perhaps they're both thoughts are right, in a way.

Safety

Again desiring home and a place of safety have been large factors in her arc. She currently has no home and she is still afraid (and rightly so) of Cersei and what will happen to her if she is found. At her suggestion of leaving LF asks where would they go.

She suggests they go to Harranhal. The mention of the Fingers as a place of sanctuary, or Harrenhal, could foreshadow a visit to the Castle or a life on the Fingers.

Well I do find it ironic that Petyr states: "Harrenhal has withered every hand to touch it.”

Even he realizes everyone that's held Harrenhal has seen their own end, so perhaps a bit of foreshadowing there for himself. :devil:

The following phrase could mean nothing, but given the Mountain’s use of a Lance in AGOT and Sansa being told of it and of course her marriage to Tyrion, it may again hint to the savage giant being Tyrion or Ser Robert Strong.

Also, Gregor had been felled by a spear--which might be said to be a lance of a sort.

This is curious. There are a few of them that contain blue and silver/grey:

House Frey: Their sigil is two blue towers united by a bridge on silver-grey, representing the Twins

House Bar Emmon of Sharp Point: is a noble house sworn Dragonstone .

Their blazon is a leaping blue swordfish on fretty silver on white. Their motto does not appear in the texts.

House Bywater: is a noble house from the Crownlands. According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their shields with fretty blue on white, three silver fish on a blue chief.

House Egen: is a noble house from the Vale. It is one of the principal houses sworn to House Arryn. According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their arms with a yellow sun, white crescent moon, and silver star on blue chief above white. Their motto is "By Day or Night". (Yeah they have yellow in their arms, but I included it anyway).

Interesting:

House Tarbeck of Tarbeck Hall: was a house in The Westerlands. They were quite influential until they rebelled with House Reyne against their Lannister overlords. The rebellion was broken by Tywin Lannister. In the course of putting down the rebellion the house was exterminated. According to semi-canon sources they blazoned their arms with a seven-pointed star, parts silver parts blue, on silver and blue field. House Tarbeck was an ancient house. Their seat is near the Crag, the seat of House Westerling.

Maybe more interesting, when you consider what Sansa said about "wishing she had wings":, though how it might tie into her arc, I'm not sure at this moment. EDIT: (the only thing I see right now is that the Fowler girls were @ Sunspear when Balon Swann arrived with Gregors skull).:

House Fowler of Skyreach is a noble Dornish house. They hold the title of "Warden of the Prince's Pass", suggesting they are the most prominent house of the region. The Fowlers joined Nymeria and House Martell when the rhoynish invaded Dorne. Since then they have an old feud with the Yronwoods, the Wardens of the Boneway, that fought against them. The exact location of Skyreach on the Prince's Pass has not been disclosed. Their words are "Let Me Soar". According to semi-canon sources their blazon it as a hooded blue hawk on silver.

And definitely a stetch but, just for the heck of it:

House Tarth of Evenfall Hall is a noble house that rules the island of Tarth, a beautiful island north of the Shipbreaker Bay that controls the Straits of Tarth between the island and the continent. Their blazon is quartered with yellow suns on rose and white crescents and azure. Their words are not known.

More thoughts later.......

Great write ups. This is the chapter when I really started to worry for the Sansa persona as she does have some troubling thoughts regarding Marillion and the seige below that seem so callous for Sansa. Other examples are how she thinks she was a stupid silly girl when she fell wildly in love with Waymar in Winterfell and the line about how curses are only in songs. Please don't give up on the songs Sansa!

Also, regarding Marillion, given the disrepancies that we saw in the last chapter, could it be that he is still alive for some reason? Was it really only little Robert's nightmare? But if he is still alive and singing somewhere, then why doesn't Sansa/Alayne hear him? Is that just symbolism for her not caring about him or feeling guilty about him anymore?

Regarding the Hound and Bronze Yohn, as Rapsie and others pointed out above, it really jumped out at me how much Bronze Yohn is compared with the Hound. He's just as tall, exudes a strength, has large hands and also similar color eyes, grey, kind of like the Northerners as well. I remember reading a discussion somewhere that House Royce, though in the Vale, has some ties to the Old Gods or is a very old line like the Starks. I can't remember where I read that now but does anyone have more history or background about the Royce house?

I also wondered if the similarities might indicate or foreshadow that Bronze Yohn will end up helping Sansa at some point. I couldn't help thinking in the back of my mind that as a reader we are being directed towards an instinct that Bronze Yohn is not her enemy and that she should trust him. It's so sad to me that she feels like she can't trust anyone at this point and seems so trapped.

I also agree with the constant bird imagery and references. I don't know about Sansa warging a dragon, but if she does not at least warg a bird by the end of all this I will be extremely shocked.

Regarding the role of Lyn Corbray, I also liked that she thought he looked handsome but didn't like the look in his eyes. She is more astute about the fact that just because someone is handsome or pretty does not mean that they are good. It was very shrewd of her to pick up on the fact that LF set up that whole scene to be in his favor, even to the point of having Nestor Royce, who in the last chapter Petyr ensured would be supportive of him, end up sitting on his side of the table. And Sansa's question about how will you pay him for his service was great! It was very Tyrion like as someone pointed out above.

Finally, I have to rant about LF's summing up of what will happen in a year and his payment to Corbray of gold and little boys. So, he's so sure that the two oldest Lords Declarant are going to die, ie. he is going to kill them, and he is giving Corbray little boys in payment for his support!! If this is not absolute proof that LF is a child predator and evil then I don' tknow what is!

Other examples are how she thinks she was a stupid silly girl when she fell wildly in love with Waymar in Winterfell and the line about how curses are only in songs. Please don't give up on the songs Sansa!

Indeed. I think this is going to be a real difference between old Sansa and the new. The old Sansa crushed on Waymar Royce, on Loras Tyrell, Joffrey and probably others too, but the Sansa of AFFC seems to be very reluctant to give her heart away so easily. In fact, she seems almost dead set against it, and strangely her cynical views echo very well those of the Hound in earlier books. The whole "he wants you to smile and repeat those pretty courtesies and play his lady love etc etc".

Regarding the Hound and Bronze Yohn, as Rapsie and others pointed out above, it really jumped out at me how much Bronze Yohn is compared with the Hound. He's just as tall, exudes a strength, has large hands and also similar color eyes, grey, kind of like the Northerners as well. I remember reading a discussion somewhere that House Royce, though in the Vale, has some ties to the Old Gods or is a very old line like the Starks. I can't remember where I read that now but does anyone have more history or background about the Royce house?

Yes, the Royces are a very old house and trace their ancestry back to the First Men. So the Royces = First Men and the Arryns = Andals (intermixed of course, but the Royces are an older family than the Arryns, for instance). I think the Starks have a lot of First Men blood as well, and I can't for the life of me remember where, but I seem to remember there have been discussions that the Cleganes may be more First Men than Andal related as well. Which could explain some of the similarities in looks.

The First Men held the north even after the Andals arrived, so I think the northerners in particular have a larger part of their bloodlines coming from the First Men.

Great write ups. This is the chapter when I really started to worry for the Sansa persona as she does have some troubling thoughts regarding Marillion and the seige below that seem so callous for Sansa. Other examples are how she thinks she was a stupid silly girl when she fell wildly in love with Waymar in Winterfell and the line about how curses are only in songs. Please don't give up on the songs Sansa!

Agreed, I don't want her to give up on her songs. However I think she will at some point in time find new ones!

Also, regarding Marillion, given the disrepancies that we saw in the last chapter, could it be that he is still alive for some reason? Was it really only little Robert's nightmare? But if he is still alive and singing somewhere, then why doesn't Sansa/Alayne hear him? Is that just symbolism for her not caring about him or feeling guilty about him anymore?

I think Robert is having nightmares. He's already distraught by his mothers death, so maybe they're exacerbated by all the "drugs" they're giving him. I wonder though if he has a weirwood bed?

From the wiki: House Royce of Runestone are an old noble house, perhaps the most powerful bannermen to House Arryn. House Royce seat is the ancestral castle Runestone., located on the coast of the narrow sea. Their cadet branch Royce of the Gates of the Moon occupies the non-hereditary seat of the Gates of the Moon, located on the path that leads to the Eyrie. They blazon their arms with a shower of pebbles on an orange field andd their motto, is "We Remember”

The Royces are an old house, they predate Arryn rule and trace their blood to the days of the First Men, who once populated the Vale, although no doubt they have since been heavily intermarried with the Andals who conquered the Vale millenia ago.

They have several sets of ancient plate armor inscribed with runes that are thought to make their wearers immune to injury. The truth of this claim has been called into question.

During the War of the Five Kings, Lord Yohn is one of the lords of theVale who wishes to join with King Robb Stark, and has been very outspoken on the matter.

I also agree with the constant bird imagery and references. I don't know about Sansa warging a dragon, but if she does not at least warg a bird by the end of all this I will be extremely shocked.

Yes, I think something will happen with her and birds. Perhaps in the next book we'll see it. Then again, maybe the whole thing with her and birds it's just a metaphor for her wanting to be free. Free from the restraints that society puts on her (i.e. all those arranged marriages,etc) and to do what she pleases (make a home where she wants, to love who and where she wants,etc).

@Lyanna Stark and Queen of Winter - thanks for the info on the Royces. I knew I had seen that somewhere they were tied to the old gods. I wonder if the fact that Sansa seems drawn to these two somewhat (though not enough to put herself in their hands) and they have some Northern attributes or connections to the first men/old gods may symboolize that she has not lost her Starkiness.

Also, I meant to make a comment on the dress that she chooses. That was a good point about Cersei choosing a similar dress when she goes to meet the High Septon and I agree it shows another comparison between them. I missed that. However, the dress that Alayne picks reminded me of the acorn dress that Lady Smallwood gave Arya to wear when she was with the BWB at Acorn Hall. They are both trying to be kept in disuises that hide their high born status so perhaps that is another parallel between them we are being reminded of.

Yes, I think something will happen with her and birds. Perhaps in the next book we'll see it. Then again, maybe the whole thing with her and birds it's just a metaphor for her wanting to be free. Free from the restraints that society puts on her (i.e. all those arranged marriages,etc) and to do what she pleases (make a home where she wants, to love who and where she wants,etc).

Well, I don't know if she will. I wrote up something about the "mechanics of warging" in another thread, and although all the Stark children are wargs, it is possible they could manifest this in different ways. Bran, Jon and Arya all have wolf dreams that we know of, and it seems likely Rickon has as well. Jon can warg ghost, Arya managed to warg a cat and Bran can warg animals and Hodor.

Sansa has so far not warged anything that we know of.

If we look at the mechanics of warging however, and how Bran describes how he "takes over" Hodor, there is a reaching out of the consciousness and then he sort of shoves Hodor aside. Varamyr Sixskins *** failed to do that with the spearwife, because she was too strong, so there's definitely a point where you have some sort of...meeting? Touching? Where the warg's mind reaches out and touches the target's, you might say. Like a mental or spiritual touch instead of a physical one.

I think Sansa may already have done this, maybe more than once. She may not ever have the full potential to take over animals due to the early loss of Lady. (I would love it if she gets to do it though!)

I do like the metaphors of her being a little bird in a gilded cage though, and how birds wishes to be free, even if it means nothing for her possible future warging.

*** His mental/spiritual touch seems to have been brutal and forceful, but there is nothing anywhere that says it can't be the opposite.

It's interesting that Sansa sees falcon, it reminds me of the chapter where she and Margaery went hawking and Sansa's merlin brought down 3 ducks - and in next Alayne chapter LF speaks about 3 queens........

Here is something about falcon symbolism - http://www.whats-your-sign.com/falcon-animal-totem.html

I think Sansa is not dead, neither dying. I see this chapter as following the preceding, where Sansa understands, that in order to survive she needs to pretend to be Alayne, so she hides Sansa personality deep down in her. But we still can find Sansa in this chaper - for example the Hound comparison, or when LF demands a kiss and she is clearly feeling uncomfortable with it and trying to reasure herself that this is what a daughter would give her father, and then notices that he doesn't want that type of kiss. So Sansa is still there and i don't thing she'll ever fade away.

I was also wondering about Marillion and if he is really dead. I won't be surprised if LF keeps him alive for some purpose. We haven't actually witnessed his dead have we. Yesterday I read the last GRRM interview where one of the questions was about Marillion name - if it is connected with the band called Marillion and GRRM denied, but interesting that the name of the band comes from the Silmarillion - never thought of it before, but as we know GRRM is very fond of Tolkien so I won't be surprised.

Archived