[Book Spoilers] What do your non-book reader friends think?

teemo

So I have several non book-reader friends that watch this show. Maybe like 10. I haven't talked to them all yet, but all of themI have talked to were really...bored. Like super bored, to the point where many of them actually fell asleep. I tell them it's just getting started and will speed up so they don't get discouraged.

It's funny some of the theories non book-readers come up with. My friend is positive that Varys is not really a eunuch and him and Shae are about to start having an affair, just like he was so positive last week that Dany and Rahkaro were about to have an affair. Another one of my friends thinks that ASHA (Yara, whatever) went too far with Theon and is probably an incest type of girl like Cersei. :\ What weird theories are your friends/family thinking up?

I talked to a friend of mine after the first episode of this season. She had watched the first season very recently so it was all fresh in her mind.

She said she was thoroughly confused by the seven gods/idol burning scene, and was pretty thrown off for the rest of the episode.

I think this season is going to be a tough one to pull off.

One 32 year old woman coworker really loved the first episode, and although she hates Cersei she was enthralled with the Cersei/Petyr scene.

Another lady, a mom of a few kids of about 40 something is really confused. She doesn't remember the references of Stannis in season 1 nor did she take much notice of Theon so I had to explain to her some of the details and then the concept grew on her at which point she said she should purchase the DVDs. She really seems put off about the time Jon and the Night's Watch are spending at Crasters but her interest grew when I made her realize a White Walker was what took the baby at the end. I also had to explain to her the the Night's Watch does not take sides. She still does not know 90% of the character names since they are exotic and weird to her. It's adorable really, I get a kick being her wiki, especially considering how little I know compared to you guys, but to her I'm the source.

I have another buddy who marathoned my boxset two weeks ago and has since read three quarters of CoK. He really is not impressed with the second season at all. The characters and storylines are fresh in his mind and he doesn't feel like the show comes anywhere close to the book and is being really negative about it. I've created a monster elitist in that one.

Boyfriend is struggling a bit. He thinks that as things get more complicated, everyone will lose interest...I keep telling him things will pick back up once everyone new is introduced. He's terrible with names so he's assigned everyone nicknames. So far, he's managing to keep the following characters straight:

Triple H's Wife

Triple H's Son

Triple H's Bastard

The Fat One

Shakira

Charlton Heston

The Shitty Blond Kid

Future Assassin Girl

HillBilly Jim's Bastard

HillBilly Jim's Brother

HillBilly Jim's Gay Brother

The Whore That's In The Book

The Whore That's Not In The Book

The Eunich

Tommy Carcetti

Chris Jerico

Queen Gorgo

Tyrion

It helps when I have to explain something to him, although I feel remarkably silly saying things like, "Charlton Heston's in the desert with Shakira because Triple H exiled him for selling poachers to a slaver."

Oh, and he really likes Tyrion.

LOL. My boyfriend has seen every episode of the first season several times and all of this season, and the only names he knows are Jon Snow, Tyrion, Ned (dead), Robert (dead and modern name), and Dany (only because we share the same name). He refers to Joffrey as "the little shithead."

everyone i know thinks it was a wildling who took the baby.. :bang:

lol I know, a lot of people are not making the connection between this and the White Walkers in Episode 1 Season 1.....

Which is funny because they probably won't explain it as detailed as the books did thanks to trying to actually show it. But if they had stuck with the original it actually would have been easier to follow.

He gives the boys to the gods. Come the white cold, he does, and of late it comes more often. That’s why he started giving them sheep, even though he has a taste for mutton. Only now the sheep’s gone too. Next it will be dogs, till . . .” She lowered her eyes and stroked her belly. “What gods?” Jon was remembering that they’d seen no boys in Craster’s Keep, nor men either, save Craster himself. “The cold gods,” she said. “The ones in the night. The white shadows.” And suddenly Jon was back in the Lord Commander’s Tower again. A severed hand was climbing his calf and when he pried it off with the point of his longsword, it lay writhing, fingers opening and closing. The dead man rose to his feet, blue eyes shining in that gashed and swollen face. Ropes of torn flesh hung from the great wound in his belly, yet there was no blood. “What color are their eyes?” he asked her. “Blue. As bright as blue stars, and as cold.” She has seen them, he thought. Craster lied.

Ugghh yes. It seems everyone thought it was a wildling. As soon as that scene came on I noticed the icy crackling sounds, and the blue eyes of the Other. Also, it was way too big to be a wildling! But I guess I knew what to look/listen for.

I hope they elaborate on it because I'd hate for HBO to make a change to the books in order to have more WW action, and people just think it's a boring wildling.

Boyfriend is struggling a bit. He thinks that as things get more complicated, everyone will lose interest...I keep telling him things will pick back up once everyone new is introduced. He's terrible with names so he's assigned everyone nicknames. So far, he's managing to keep the following characters straight:

Triple H's Wife

Triple H's Son

Triple H's Bastard

The Fat One

Shakira

Charlton Heston

The Shitty Blond Kid

Future Assassin Girl

HillBilly Jim's Bastard

HillBilly Jim's Brother

The Eunich

Tommy Carcetti

Chris Jerico

Queen Gorgo

Tyrion

It helps when I have to explain something to him, although I feel remarkably silly saying things like, "Charlton Heston's in the desert with Shakira because Triple H exiled him for selling poachers to a slaver."

Is it weird that I want to see this series?

Most of my friends picked up the books after the first season because they got lost in the first season, so I don't really know what they'd think if they hadn't read the books.

Good thread. Pretty much all my non book friends want to be book friends (or they wouldn't be my friends) Many started the series after season one as well. Those who have not made it through GOT yet are still obviously on team Stark (their favorite being Arya) but are starting to lean a little towards Tyrion at least. They are also horrible at names. Maybe if each episode was 2 hours long it would help. Yet as well all know there are more characters in the books.

None have started season 2 yet. I was going to let 3 or 4 episodes build up and then have a few friends over and I can report more.

He gives the boys to the gods. Come the white cold, he does, and of late it comes more often. That’s why he started giving them sheep, even though he has a taste for mutton. Only now the sheep’s gone too. Next it will be dogs, till . . .” She lowered her eyes and stroked her belly. “What gods?” Jon was remembering that they’d seen no boys in Craster’s Keep, nor men either, save Craster himself. “The cold gods,” she said. “The ones in the night. The white shadows.” And suddenly Jon was back in the Lord Commander’s Tower again. A severed hand was climbing his calf and when he pried it off with the point of his longsword, it lay writhing, fingers opening and closing. The dead man rose to his feet, blue eyes shining in that gashed and swollen face. Ropes of torn flesh hung from the great wound in his belly, yet there was no blood. “What color are their eyes?” he asked her. “Blue. As bright as blue stars, and as cold.” She has seen them, he thought. Craster lied.

I don't think this would be clearer. Seeing the shining blue eyes is much clearer than hearing "oh, they had blue eyes". I haven't talked to my non-books friend yet, so I don't know whether he got it or not.

Triple H's Wife - Ned

Triple H's Son - Robb

Triple H's Bastard - Jon

The Fat One - Sam

Shakira - Dany

Charlton Heston - Jorah

The Shitty Blond Kid - Joff

Future Assassin Girl - Arya

HillBilly Jim's Bastard - Gendry

HillBilly Jim's Brother - Stannis

HillBilly Jim's Gay Brother - Renly

The Whore That's In The Book - Shae

The Whore That's Not In The Book - Ros

The Eunich - Varys

Tommy Carcetti - Littlefinger

Chris Jerico - After googling his face, Jamie?

Queen Gorgo - Cersei

Tyrion - Umm... Tyrion?

How did I do?

Triple H's Wife

Triple H's Son

Triple H's Bastard

The Fat One

Shakira

Charlton Heston

The Shitty Blond Kid

Future Assassin Girl

HillBilly Jim's Bastard

HillBilly Jim's Brother

The Eunich

Tommy Carcetti

Chris Jerico

Queen Gorgo

Tyrion

LOL! This is hilarious. I love his names. Especially Tommy Carcetti as it makes sense to name drop the mayor if you have no idea why they call him Littlefinger. And of course, catching none of the names but understanding Tyrion because he's such a cool character.

I never really thought about it, but there are resemblances to Triple H, Shakira, and Heston.

I don't have any friends who watch the show and have also read the books so it's interesting getting their perspective. Most everyone has liked the first two seasons. The biggest confusion is the names of characters. So many character names are never actually spoken on the show, which I guess makes sense because there are so many characters names are given. But it makes it confusing when I'm talking to them and I say, "Oh, wasn't Dolorous Edd just so damn funny!" and they are like, "Uh, who???"

None of my friends realized it was a white walker who took the baby. The flash of the blue eyes was too fast. They think that White Walkers and wildlings and wights are the same thing and are very confused about why Osha is called a wildling when she doesn't have eerie blue eyes or act like a total zombie.

Half of my friends started reading the books after my year long propaganda program. Thinks most of them started just to get me of their backs. They love the books though. And loved both of the episodes, even the non-reading friends. They focus on different things than I do. Some need some extra explanation on Stannis and Gendry. But most of them know this is a show that requires attention and that not everything is explained right away. So they just enjoy the ride.

i have only non reader friends. they succumbed to my will and watched the show. most of them finished it in just 2 days! now i have the satisfaction of telling them "i told you so" all the time, cause they didnt believe me it was that good!

as for season 2, i haven't heard any complaints, they still find it exciting. they somehow all fallen in love with tyrion (no surprise there). as for the last scene of episode 2, i think it was pretty obvious for them ,it was a white walker. they saw the blue eyes and understood immediately.

Archived