[Book Spoilers] What do your non-book reader friends think?

teemo

My wife has read the books, but really doesn't remember a whole lot of it and is having a hard time following the story. The opening on Dragonstone really threw her - she thought initially they were doing something at the Wall..

Having Joffrey be responsible for the bastards being killed didn't make sense to her - "what does he care?"

I really don't see how my boyfriend could possibly enjoy the show, since the main thing that keeps him busy is 'who the hell are they talking about?' Who's Robb? And who is that new bearded guy? Stannis? Whut? And why did the Lord Commander just bash Snowy in the head?

My partner really enjoys the show. He was thrown off by little things like Melisandre in the first episode, but otherwise he is loving it. Again he did have some trouble with the White Walkers but I am expecting that to be explained in the next episode anyway.

He actually made some very astute observations - particularly about the bastard killing. He asked whether a 'civil war' was going to start because the stupid Lannister's had killed their own people.

Most importantly he really appreciated the new scene with Littlefinger and Ros. He commented that he didn't think that Littlefinger was that "nasty". So I guess, for me, that the brothel scene had the desired intention!

my wife has been loving season two (though her biggest fear is that dragons only eat direwolves) as some co-workers who haven't read any of the books... I am surprised none of them thought much of balon stating they are not attacking the lannisters...

Boyfriend is struggling a bit. He thinks that as things get more complicated, everyone will lose interest...I keep telling him things will pick back up once everyone new is introduced. He's terrible with names so he's assigned everyone nicknames. So far, he's managing to keep the following characters straight:

Triple H's Wife

Triple H's Son

Triple H's Bastard

The Fat One

Shakira

Charlton Heston

The Shitty Blond Kid

Future Assassin Girl

HillBilly Jim's Bastard

HillBilly Jim's Brother

HillBilly Jim's Gay Brother

The Whore That's In The Book

The Whore That's Not In The Book

The Eunich

Tommy Carcetti

Chris Jerico

Queen Gorgo

Tyrion

It helps when I have to explain something to him, although I feel remarkably silly saying things like, "Charlton Heston's in the desert with Shakira because Triple H exiled him for selling poachers to a slaver."

Oh, and he really likes Tyrion.

Oh...my.....that's just too.....perfect!

Actually my husband LOVES the show! I am so impressed that he gets everything that is going on, I don't know if I would have if I had not read and re/read as many times as I have...I keep asking him wait, do you understand what happened? and he does.

Sunday's episode must have been harder for him because I kept yelling "that is not the way it happened in the book!"

I have a couple of friends that are watching too. One started reading to understand whats up and the other just calls me with questions :cool4:

I have a couple cousins who love the show (they haven't read the books, and don't want to because they dont want to be spoiled for the show, which WTF?!, but anyway) they like it so far. They seem to think it's a slow start but expect it to get better.

My husband loves season 1 but he found this episode a little slow until Jon saw the White Walker. He even felt sympathy for Theon not fitting in with his family or the Starks. I had to remain expressionless when he commented that Theon better not screw over Robb.

My family who have read none of the books keep losing track of who is who. I have to act as a wiki for them.

My mum thought the white walker was somebody in a mask. I facepalmed

Though we all hate Joff and all love Tyrion

It's interesting, going through this board it's clear that many non-readers are confused and struggle to keep up yet on other boards many purists complain that HBO is dumbing the show down too much. Contradicion much?

I just think it shows the difficulty of adaptation and the differences in the medium. For me, it makes D&D's so-called "controversial" decisions a lot more understandable. If anything, they need to trim the story even more, especially post-aSoS.

My Dad loved the first episode, though complained about the lack of continuity. Changing locations back and foward every 5 minutes can get confusing.

For this one, he didnt like so much. The break of pace on the constant POV switching proved too much for him, he was throughly lost by mid-episode.

My husband is having a hard time keeping track of the characters and seemed rather annoyed that I already knew some of the individuals before their names were mentioned. My daughter, however just finished A CLASH OF KINGS so she is right in step. Unfortunately she has just started A STORM OF SWORDS, I just want to be able to talk to her about The Red Wedding.

All of my friends, and mother, are loving it. Have to explain some minor things, tho'. Haven't heard any awkward theories yet, they just want Joffry to die.

I'm looking the show with my husband, who's not that much into it, and keeps asking "who's this guy again?" I am much frustrated that the one person I know who shares my tastes is my 14 yo daughter, and she won't be watching the series before a few years!

The french translation (we're french) is so lame and aggravating I managed to talk her into reading the books in english. That's the first book she tries in english, she's now on page 71 of Game of Thrones and very proud and excited. She does ask for a translation of a few words per page !

What I would find more interesting is reading direct opinions from non-readers. Not reports filtered through the biases (conscious or not) of readers of this site.

There is a well known phenomenon that can be described by two people in an audience reviewing an event:

- Person A (who enjoyed the event) states that everyone was enthusiastic

- Person B (who did not enjoy the event) states that the event felt flat, with little enthusiasm from everyone

Who is right? Both? Neither? It's all based on confirmation bias.

Archived