[BOOK SPOPILERS] Craster Cliffhanger

Howdyphillip

I immediately assumed it was Gilly's baby, which would require huge deviations from Sam's future plotline, as well as from the babyswapping story later down the line.

Also, this would seem to move forward the fight at Crasters, as I don't see Craster just meekly letting Jon go after this.

Very weird scene.

And lastly, the Other seems totally different from how I imagined it. If anything, it reminded me of the Predator in camouflage mode, jusst with blue eyes. It seems too bulky. I thought the Others were tall, slender graceful creaturs.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this very strange scene.

EDIT: Also, why did they not just make Dany start in Qarth? They could have cut her til episode 2, starting in Qarth, and have Jorah and her talk about the horrors they faced in the Red Waste to substitute a narrative.

this seems like a crazy thing to cut.

1. there is little enough for Dany to do this season anyways. they will surely write some new scenes, but cutting a significant part of the journey isnt goint to help

2. its an important part of her journey. this is what binds her people to her.

3. it really wasn't too much of a time commitment.

I immediately assumed it was Gilly's baby, which would require huge deviations from Sam's future plotline, as well as from the babyswapping story later down the line.

Also, this would seem to move forward the fight at Crasters, as I don't see Craster just meekly letting Jon go after this.

Very weird scene.

And lastly, the Other seems totally different from how I imagined it. If anything, it reminded me of the Predator in camouflage mode, jusst with blue eyes. It seems too bulky. I thought the Others were tall, slender graceful creaturs.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this very strange scene.

I agree with your points.

I don't think it was intended to be Gilly's baby, but rather, another of the daughter-wives. I suspect they were doing this to show the audience what happens to the sons, as highlighted by Jon's remarks when they first arrived. It's a fairly minor deviation from the book at that point since we never do 'see' what happens to the baby boys, only hear about it from Craster's women.

The clubbing Jon over the head ending, yeah that is a huge deviation from the story as we know it from the book and now I'm really curious to see how this is going to play out for Mormont and the Night's Watch. Obviously Jon is ok, we know his story goes on - but how does this change the story with the traitors and attack on Mormont and Craster? Does Mormont now send Jon away from the rest of the watch with Qhorin Halfhand and they skip forward a bit? I saw the preview clip with Craster telling Mormont to get the hell out, so I know they vacate at that point and Mormont's alive, so they must return to Craster's keep later on as it was in the books. It's pretty confusing at this point.

I also wasn't thrilled with the way they've made the Others look. I re-watched that scene a few times and to me, the large shadowy figure of the Other looks rather bulky, like its wearing skins or furs, which doesn't make any sense with the mystical/magical way they're described in the books. The flash of glowing blue eyes was good, but many have said they missed it so non-book readers are confused about who or what took the baby. I'm guessing they may have done that on purpose to keep it still a mystery of sorts for the future story.

this seems like a crazy thing to cut.

1. there is little enough for Dany to do this season anyways. they will surely write some new scenes, but cutting a significant part of the journey isnt goint to help

2. its an important part of her journey. this is what binds her people to her.

3. it really wasn't too much of a time commitment.

Maybe 10 minutes or so in 2 episodes. That'd allow a much better Dragonstone prologue scene, which I'd prefer over seeing the Red Waste rather than hearing about it.

This thread is such a great example of "so-called reader" purist outrage. Let me cite examples:

1) Renly + Loras ....Outrage - then oh, they are gay?

2) Stannis having Sex with Melisandre ... Outrage, before evidence pointed out. Still in denial.

3) Craster having a 'deal' with the Others ... Well, you get the picture.

4) Yara not being HOT! ...See the Yara thread in this sub-forum

Sure, none of these are stated outright. But if you cannot see how these are reasonable interpretations, then a re-read is recommended. The really sad part of this is how many of the purist nitpickers that don't know the books half as well as they think they do.

I can't wait to find out what the next outrage will be.

:agree: This. I'm furious about the Yara situation, I think Gemma Whelan is perfect for the part, and where is it written that Asha is a smoking-hot-warrior-kraken-princess? She was described as relatively attractive, is all.

I loved the cliffhanger. BLOODY LOVED IT. I had NO idea what was happening and have no idea what will happen next!

I am a HUGE fan of the books, but I'm open minded when it comes to the deviations, because changes are necessary at times. That doesn't mean I want them to change much, but this was a great deviation. I always, always wanted to see what Craster was doing with the babies, what the Others were doing with them, how it went down. The scene made perfect sense and was totally in keeping with Jon's character.

I actually don't think it will change the Flight from the Fist situation at all. Craster doesn't die via Ghost, Jeor gets Jon back, Craster angrily sends the watch on their way, STILL pregnant Gilly stays with him (it was obviously not her baby he gave to the others). After the Fist they all come crawling back (vastly depleted numbers), he lets them stay (because he benefits greatly from his friendship with the watch, and has calmed down a bit now. Also, no Jon by this point.) then... we all know what happens :crying: .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I prefer the show to be as faithful to the book as possible. While it's cool to see the Others take a sacrifice, do you really think Craster is stupid enough to do it over the night that 200 Night's Watch are visiting? And whose baby is this now?

Are the babies sacrificed? what if they are joined with trees to create more 'OTHERS'? and remember there is only ONE GREAT OTHER, and he she it is CONSTANTLY AT WAR with RH'OLLOR.

• 2 months later...

Archived