Fighting Dragons: the truth about dany's invasion

The fact that they can raise the fallen to support their forces will crush the westerosi. For every warrior you lose, they gain a warrior.

1) you don't have to kill the wights, just their masters

2) what makes you think no one on the other side will be able and willing to raise the dead themselves?

Air power is the key

empires are built by being able to overpower all opposition hard and fast.

The Mongols swept the world with superior horsemanship and archery, the British empire was built because the Royal Navy was the strongest on the seas for over a century, but withmachine guns, airpower and missiles, horses and even ships have become ineffective over time. Dragons are the ASOIAF version.

Incedently, empires are held together by trade, and Dani has made good contact6s with powerful people over a large area, and though she has upset a few alnog the way, the chance of profit always tempers anger in people in powerful positions, and should lead the way, combined with her massive military deterrent for a lasting global peace.

Probably not though

Ok sorry to quibble with your history but empires have been built on superior administration, strategy, and tactics, not fighting ability, size and usually not even technology. those things usually follow from the former.

I do think you're on the right track though. What she's done is drop a bomb on the established order, creating a void that some will compete to fill and some will attempt to prevent the filling of. I think she practically triggered a world war, dropping a wild card on a world that appears to have stagnated.

I don't think it will be as neat and simple as Dany flying to glory and saving the world, but I do think the role she could possibly wind up playing in essos as the inspirational leader of a spreading anti slave movement could serve her well in whatever role she plays in the bigger events in westeros.

And that's the thing to remember with the dragons. I think they will end up having more to do with the song than the game. Whoever compared them to nukes - didn't Martin himself say that he intended them to be thought of as that worlds version of nukes? That the key was that for all the power having them gives you, using them entails grave consequences?

I wouldn't be surprised if Dany doesn't even end up needing them if she fights a westerosi army like the tyrells (who else even still has an army? Dorne and the vale?), and I don't think she'd use them if she didn't absolutely have to.

Regarding your era of global peace comment, i get the impression that nobody sails west from westeros, only east. If Dany were to invade from the west, it could bring about an increase in trade across the sunset sea. I don't know if that will be relevant to anything, just a thought.

While i believe that Dany may have some contact with the Others battle wise she is not going defeat them.They are an army with now direction and Jon will be the one to lead them back where they came from.

I'm leery of direct, specific predictions. I don't know if Dany will defeat the others or be part of a coalition that defeats the others or will die fighting them whether they are ultimately defeated or not, but I think it's a safe bet she will have some role beyond the "some contact battlewise" you reluctantly allow for.

The Jon part is interesting. Would this make him the king of winter? How would this play out? It would be really anticlimactic if the others just collect their king and go home, even if the wall comes down in the process. I'm wondering if Jon would be alive or dead, and I'm wondering what you make of the dream in which he's clearly fighting the invading others.

Regarding your era of global peace comment, i get the impression that nobody sails west from westeros, only east. If Dany were to invade from the west, it could bring about an increase in trade across the sunset sea. I don't know if that will be relevant to anything, just a thought.

I think it would be a real dick move to put out a map book for people to buy, not include a way for people to sail west, then write into the story someone sailing west and having everyone wanting a new map.

I don't think there would be big guerilla resistance force against Dany after she conquers. One, because it'll be winter and everyone would be struggling to survive. Two, because apart from in the Stormlands, there hasn't been much ingrained loyalty to the Baratheons from the lords. Three, the peasants and townsfolk wouldn't really care who's ruling the land, as long as there's peace.

Guerilla warfare and insurgency works when there's nationalistic forces at play. There are four kingdoms which are independent enough to make that work - Dorne, the North, the Stormlands and the Iron Islands. Dorne would be on Dany's side. The North will be decimated with Others. The Stormlands will be leaderless without Stanis. The Iron Islands will either be allied with Dany (via Victarion) or too insignificant to be anything other than a nuisance.

I don't think there would be big guerilla resistance force against Dany after she conquers. One, because it'll be winter and everyone would be struggling to survive. Two, because apart from in the Stormlands, there hasn't been much ingrained loyalty to the Baratheons from the lords. Three, the peasants and townsfolk wouldn't really care who's ruling the land, as long as there's peace.

Guerilla warfare and insurgency works when there's nationalistic forces at play. There are four kingdoms which are independent enough to make that work - Dorne, the North, the Stormlands and the Iron Islands. Dorne would be on Dany's side. The North will be decimated with Others. The Stormlands will be leaderless without Stanis. The Iron Islands will either be allied with Dany (via Victarion) or too insignificant to be anything other than a nuisance.

Your right there are 4 kingdoms that are independent enough to make resistance work, but the Stormlands isn't one of them, the 4th was the Vale.

I think it would be a real dick move to put out a map book for people to buy, not include a way for people to sail west, then write into the story someone sailing west and having everyone wanting a new map.

I didn't know the map book lacked that, but a map isn't a globe. As long as it shows both coasts we can just assume there's a crossable ocean there and not some gaping abyss. Didn't Euron cross the sunset sea? Wasn't that one of his accomplishments?

I didn't know the map book lacked that, but a map isn't a globe. As long as it shows both coasts we can just assume there's a crossable ocean there and not some gaping abyss. Didn't Euron cross the sunset sea? Wasn't that one of his accomplishments?

I can't remember for sure, I thought it was the smoking sea near Valyria. The big map in the map book go's a lot farther east than Qarth and Ashai and Yi'Ti and you would have to go far far south from what you can see, and then start going east again if/when possible. GRRM also said no character would go farther east then they have already been accept in flashbacks.

the vale have no motive to rebel against dany once she conquers westeros. they were only loyal to the Baratheons due to John Arryn, I doubt they'd have any qualms about bending the knee to dany if it meant not been dragoned to death.

the north have tasted freedom, they may want to hang on to it, but they will be exhausted and unable to mount a rebellion. the dornish will be loyal to any targ. the iron islands are too insignificant to mount a successful rebellion.

There could be a way for them to kill dragons. I can't remember the quote exactly, but in one of the Bran chapters, he sees a person cutting 3 branches off a weirwood tree to make arrows. That number was probably not put in there by chance. Could they have killed the great Targaryen dragons with those arrows?

There could be a way for them to kill dragons. I can't remember the quote exactly, but in one of the Bran chapters, he sees a person cutting 3 branches off a weirwood tree to make arrows. That number was probably not put in there by chance. Could they have killed the great Targaryen dragons with those arrows?

I believe Maester Marwyn mentioned to Sam in AFFC that the Maesters of the Citadel had a part on killing all the dragons.

There is no way that Westeros is in any sort of 4GW situation however. They still operated under the very

hierarchical

structure of a feudal society. The armies of Aegon's day are very similar to the one's in present day Westeros.

The people of Westeros, although having fought dragons before (no one living mind you), still do not know of any way to defeat them. The only forces that have practice in guerrilla warfare are the Dornish, and they are going to side with the Dany/Dragons. The rest of Westeros still have a VERY healthy fear of dragons and will likely bend the knee rather than take up arms.

Dude, 4th generation warfare is like Americans fighting afghanis and afghanis fighting back using guerilla tactics.. people here are more towards in first generation line and collum. I guess I can see where you get the ideas(bwb), but the whole term stems from how cultures and military's are run today. decentralizing government and turning the people against it to install new rule is definitely in the book, but dragons don't equal 4th gen war.

Archived