Jon Snow Parentage

Naeblis2010

Has anyone else come to the realization that Eddard Stark isn't the father of Jon Snow at all? That infact Jon Snow is really Jon Stark as he is the son of Lyanna Stark? Lyanna Stark made her brother promise her something, it's never known what, she just simple said "Promise me, Ned."

Eddard Stark traveled to the "Tower of Joy" to retrieve his sister from Rhaegar's clutches but when he got to her she was dying in a bed of blood. It's not known if she was stabbed or not. I suggest this opinion because most women would have given birth in bed, and it would be assumed that Lyanna Stark died in similar fashion to Tyrion Lannister's mother who died giving birth to him.

Ned returns home from the "Tower of Joy" with a baby boy. Instead of telling anyone the truth he simple states that he's the bastard son of his. Why would he do this? Robert Baratheon had Rhaegar's family killed, including his kids. If he found out that Lyanna had a son by Rhaegar, especially being betrothed to Robert, he would have killed the baby off. Hence why Ned simply went with the story that Jon is his bastard son.

Yes. There is a thread stickied on this subject in the General Book discussion named "R+L=J."

It's probably the most accepted theory in fandom, but for very good reasons. In addition to everything you've said, there's the Kingsguard's presence at the Tower (which would suggest Rhaegar followed the Targ tradition of polygamy and married Lyanna, hence Jon is legitimate and would technically be a Targareyan by name, not Stark) and how they explicitly tell Ned they know Rhaegar and Aerys are dead, Viserys is far away, etc. but yet their place remains here. There's more evidence in the following books, but... yeah, it's pretty widespread and agreed upon in fandom.

If Jon is really a Targaryen, wouldn't he have lighter hair and violet eyes? How long was Lyanna with Raeger? She could have been pregnant by Robert. Jon has Robert's black hair. But I can't reason why Lyanna wouldn't want Robert to know. Starks are all about honor and justice; there's no way Eddard and Lyanna had sex.

If Jon is really a Targaryen, wouldn't he have lighter hair and violet eyes? How long was Lyanna with Raeger? She could have been pregnant by Robert. Jon has Robert's black hair. But I can't reason why Lyanna wouldn't want Robert to know. Starks are all about honor and justice; there's no way Eddard and Lyanna had sex.

We'll see about that...

• 4 weeks later...

WOW I thought something was up never talling him who his mum was yet looking liking ned I was thinking one day someone would be like "ned left you this letter its about your morther" then the bombshell nut yaeh wow. Now if jon finds out do you think he'll for the throne since he has dragon blood (if its true and ive only read book 1) or would he stay true to the black?

• 4 weeks later...

There's Targareyans that don't have silver hair/violet eyes combination. Rhaegar's own daughter with Elia (Rhaeneys) had his mother's dornish features, brown hair and eyes. So Rhaegar's son with Lyanna could have his mother's features. And Jon has Stark features as Lyanna had, dark brown hair and grey eyes... There's references in the books that Jon and Arya look like Starks as Ned, and that Arya looks like Lyanna...

And Lyanna was hide from the world after leaving with Rhaegar, which is during the whole rebellion war, one year. If she died at childbirth, as is implied in the books, the child has to be Rhaegar's.

• 3 weeks later...

In the book(GoT) there's a section that describes Robb's build, but then goes on to state that Robb has the Tully coloring which suggests that Robb's build comes from his father, which is large and muscular, while Jon is described as lean and slender which could come from Rhaegar.

Just because Jon doesn't have the Targaryen coloring doesn't mean he can't have Rhaegar's features and mannerisms. (This is all solely with the assumption of R+L=J)

I recognize that a majority of the "clues" lead to R+L=J, but I'm always skeptical of a plot point that seems too easy, especially from a man who has made such a tangled web. There's a small voice inside of me that says R+L=J is too easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that Jon is most likely Lyanna's child. Since Eddard doesn't seem like the type of guy who would be with a whore at all. Also the "Promise me, Ned" could have been her saying promise me that he will be okay, and since the Baratheon's and Lannister's were trying to kill every bit of Targaryen blood so I can understand why he would say Jon is his son plus Starks are about honor and duty. I also believe that Raeger raped Lyanna and Jon was just the outcome or Lyanna and Raeger were truely in love with each other but they knew they couldn't be together and so Raeger had to leave her and Lyanna went into labor at the "Tower of Joy"..........just a theory

I also believe if Lyanna and Raeger aren't his parents than (Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne) since he was really different from his brother with being hot blooded, just like his sister Lyanna. There is no percent in me that believes Jon is Eddard's son.

Archived