Season 3 Can Probably Cover aSoS (Major Book Spoilers)

AndyL

Frankly whenever I read comments about how A Storm of Swords needs to be split into two seasons, I really don't get it.

A Storm of Swords is a very bottom heavy book where the plot during the last 2/3's of the book advance much more rapidly than during the first 1/3. Most of the events in the first 1/3 of aSoS will be covered in season 2. Jaime will have escaped and be on his way to Kings Landing. The Tully's are not main characters in the show, so a lot of stuff involving the death of Hoster can be cut. Jane will be introduced in season 2, so no time is needed to introduce her. I'm also guessing that the Edric Storm plotline will not be in the show.

All in all then, season 3 really just needs to fit in the last 2/3 of aSoS, which is about the size of GOT. I think that is definitely doable.

One important advantage of taking this approach is that it would make including the RW much easier. The RW could take place at the end of episode 5 or 6 rather than at the end of the season, which I think would be a poor way to end it. I think it would be much better to end the season with the deaths of Joffrey and Tywin, who are much less likable than Robb and Catelyn.

What are your thoughts on this?

-Andrew

Well It's been confirmed that SOS is being split and I think it's the right move. Yes the 1st half isn't as fast paced, but it's about the same pace as ACOK and up to the RW makes up almost the same amount of pages as ACOK IIRC.

Frankly whenever I read comments about how A Storm of Swords needs to be split into two seasons, I really don't get it.

A Storm of Swords is a very bottom heavy book where the plot during the last 2/3's of the book advance much more rapidly than during the first 1/3. Most of the events in the first 1/3 of aSoS will be covered in season 2. Jaime will have escaped and be on his way to Kings Landing. The Tully's are not main characters in the show, so a lot of stuff involving the death of Hoster can be cut. Jane will be introduced in season 2, so no time is needed to introduce her. I'm also guessing that the Edric Storm plotline will not be in the show.

All in all then, season 3 really just needs to fit in the last 2/3 of aSoS, which is about the size of GOT. I think that is definitely doable.

One important advantage of taking this approach is that it would make including the RW much easier. The RW could take place at the end of episode 5 or 6 rather than at the end of the season, which I think would be a poor way to end it. I think it would be much better to end the season with the deaths of Joffrey and Tywin, who are much less likable than Robb and Catelyn.

What are your thoughts on this?

-Andrew

I totally agree with you. ASOS would work much better as one big season, as the first half of the book is just a build-up to the second half. However, we know that’s not going to happen. Anyway, I hope (and trust) that they’ll cover most of ASOS in S3, with some bits already covered in S2, as yo said, and thus, S4 would be a mix between ASOS and parts of AFFC/ADWD.

Anyway, this is how I think it could work, assuming that ASOS will be splitted, but mostly covered in S3.

Season 2 will contain:

-Attack of the WW to the NW.

-Davos rescued and arrested

-Sack of Winterfel of course.

-Robb’s love story and its implications.

-Maybe Tyrion’s conversation with Tywin.

-Jaime and Brienne on the road.

Season 3:

-Bran: travels north, meets the Reeds, “interacts” with Jon (episode 7, apparently), and reaches the Wall at the end of the Season. Any other option is just killing the character and the story.

-Arya: adventures with the BWB, captured by the Hound, reaches the Twins, and probably sees a vision of her dead mother.

-Rob/Catelyn: all their story, of course. RW in episode 8 PLEASE! (Ep.9 will be predictable, episode 8 should be shocking!)

-Jon: first half of the season, adventures with the Wildlings (not all the season, that’d be boring!). The second half, reaches the Wall and in the last episode fights the wildlings and Ygritte is killed. (that would be a really good arc for him! Although I wish they could include all the battle against the wildlings.Jon has a hell of a story in ASOS).

-Dany: They’ll have to make her story more appropriate for TV, as they’re doing this season, conquering three similar cities won’t work! So, who knows! But, I’d try to put almost all her stuff this season (and definitely, the reveal of Arstan and Jorah’s treason).

-Sansa: the season should end with her leaving KL after the PW. There’s really not anything for her otherwise. And Joffrey should be killed in season 3, because again, he doesn’t have much to do.

-Tyrion: even though I’d LOVE to end the season with him killing Tywin (I see it as the logical ending to his story of the season), I know that’s NOT going to happen, so the next best option would be to end the season with him being accused of killing Joffrey.

-Jaime and Brienne. Somehow strech their journey, because there’s no other option, but again, there’s not that much for them to do!

-Stannis/Davos: Hmmm, if they don’t have the attack of the wildlings this season, WHAT THE HECK are they going to do???

-Theon should be absent this season. No problem with that.

So, Season 4 should cover:

-the battle with the wildlings and the election of Jon.

-tyrion’s trial and escape.

-the stuff with sansa and lysa and littlefiger.

-the hound’s “death” and arya leaves westeros.

-jaime and cercei meet at last.

Plus, stuff from the next two books. (specially for bran, danny, theon,, brienne...)

Archived