[Book spoilers] Gendry's apology to Arya

a free shadow

I've still never been sure if Gendry is being totally serious with her when he does that. I think he's partially just kind of toying with her because he knows that she'll hate that :) I mean, Gendry was never all that respectful to even Ned when he was the Hand....he doesn't really care.

I've still never been sure if Gendry is being totally serious with her when he does that. I think he's partially just kind of toying with her because he knows that she'll hate that :) I mean, Gendry was never all that respectful to even Ned when he was the Hand....he doesn't really care.

I agree with you on this - and the actors brought that to life in the scene when Gendry persists with calling her m'Lady after she demands he not call her that, and when she pushes him down saying "well now that's not very ladylike" and laughing at her. It was really well done.

Everyone having read the books knows Gendry still treats Arya the same afterwards outwardly and has told her he'll keep her secret so the fact he is astonished by her being a 'lady' is not really taken that seriously anyways.

on a side note, someone needs to make a jumpcut of all the times Arya calls someone a liar. i cracked up both times, as hotpie was starting to tell his story about seeing a battle and Arya shouts out liar mid sentence.

Yes, that would make a pretty good video put to music, something with 'liar' in it of course. Arya's been calling everyone a liar since she threw Joffrey's sword in the river and will keep calling everyone a liar for quite some time, haha!

What I found strange in this scene was that it happened in the middle of the camp where anybody from the group could have heard their conversation. It would be a little more logical if they made them go fetch that water some meters away, behind some trees or something. But, all in all, I liked the scene.

What I found strange in this scene was that it happened in the middle of the camp where anybody from the group could have heard their conversation. It would be a little more logical if they made them go fetch that water some meters away, behind some trees or something. But, all in all, I liked the scene.

I don't think it happened in the middle of the camp... they were both down at the stream getting water in buckets, well away from the majority of others in the camp. I didn't get the impression it would be easy for anyone to over hear the conversation. Besides, those headed to the wall (voluntarily or against their will) are kept under close guard in case they decide to make a run for it so I doubt they'd be off in the woods somewhere out of sight.

Besides, those headed to the wall (voluntarily or against their will) are kept under close guard in case they decide to make a run for it so I doubt they'd be off in the woods somewhere out of sight.

And just who are these 'guards' ?

Yoren is the only NW man in the whole crew...no others in the book or on the screen.

I was surprised how fast she told him...in the book it took quite awhile and it was right after the escape from the Gold Cloaks, and they really were away from everyone then. But they gotta speed things up, I guess :)

I was surprised how fast she told him...in the book it took quite awhile and it was right after the escape from the Gold Cloaks, and they really were away from everyone then. But they gotta speed things up, I guess :)

I agree about speeding up things, otherwies Arya's story would develop very little now in the beginning and very quickly later.

Ok, they were far enough for anybody to hear, I believe too. And apparently they had other matters to handle than to listen to children arguing, as well.

And just who are these 'guards' ?

Yoren is the only NW man in the whole crew...no others in the book or on the screen.

I said 'under close guard' not 'guards' - someone has to be watching to make sure the petty thieves don't try to take off since some of them have been spared punishments for thievery and such. Rorge, Biter and Jaqen may have been the only caged criminals but they weren't the only ones. Perhaps the 'volunteers' to the night's watch keep an eye on the others, especially the younger boys? Yoren can't possibly keep that many in line by himself and it would be pretty easy for someone to just take off.

From the book:

"Yoren had taken grown men from the dungeons as well, thieves and poachers and rapers and the like. The worst were the three he'd found in the black cells who must have scared even him, because he kept them fettered hand and foot in the back of a wagon, and vowed they'd stay in irons all the way to the Wall. "

So if Yoren's completely alone, who is guarding this motley crew of thieves, poachers and rapers? Not all of them are going to go meekly to the wall without protest are they?

So if Yoren's completely alone, who is guarding this motley crew of thieves, poachers and rapers? Not all of them are going to go meekly to the wall without protest are they?

I believe you can see in the episode while Yoren may be the only one in black, a few of the older men gather their weapons and back him up as they surround the gold cloaks. I believe its pretty evident that if they are not already sworn in, they have at least chosen to accept the offer, and plan to honor that oath.

I said 'under close guard' not 'guards' - someone has to be watching to make sure the petty thieves don't try to take off since some of them have been spared punishments for thievery and such. Rorge, Biter and Jaqen may have been the only caged criminals but they weren't the only ones. Perhaps the 'volunteers' to the night's watch keep an eye on the others, especially the younger boys? Yoren can't possibly keep that many in line by himself and it would be pretty easy for someone to just take off.

Nope there are not even any 'volunteers' in the novel. Given Yoren's nature and his long experience at this he is all they need. All those in the group have , under the law, a stigma on their heads, the Wall is their pardon and they know it, escape and eventually you will be hanged or worse!

The only person there who could have slipped away is Jaqen, he is on a mission, the mysterious nature of which we still have not found out.

You have read the books and still dunno why highborn are treated like highborn? :bang:

I can only repeat myself. I was confused by the apparent wish, not need, and especially coming from Gendry. As to Gendry being intentionaly playful, I don't think so. And yesterday I got to read an interview with Joe Depmsie, where he admits playing that scene and "whole" Gendry a little different than in the books.

My interpretation of the promo clip:

They might not even show them being surrounded in the castle, I guess. Maybe Lannister men just come for Gendry. On the road again, just in greater numbers and determination.

"Afforded more"? Could you please say it in other words? I do not really understad :blush: And I am not that much surprised, more confused. And more in terms of life in general than this scene. Regarding the examples you cite, they were about what highborns choose to do with lowborns, not how lowborns threat each other and highborns. Gendry seems decent and even kind, but he was not interested in sparing a girl, however nice she was, until he learned she was highborn. It was not fair. Especially coming from him.

I didn't put it very well, I was just meaning that she'd command more respect in that society and certainly be treat better. The examples of Mycah and Barra are symptomatic of the society. Compare the reactions of characters to the killings of Mycah and Barra as opposed to the killings of Aegon and Rhaenys. Or would Theon be really so hated if the North knew it wasn't Bran and Rickon he killed. The reason we don't see how they treat each other is because they don't meet. When they do the interactions would be similar to how Gendry thought he ought to treat Arya as opposed to 'Arry. It's not fair but nor is the Medieval Feudal system.

My interpretation of the promo clip:

They might not even show them being surrounded in the castle, I guess. Maybe Lannister men just come for Gendry. On the road again, just in greater numbers and determination.

From the last shot in the E3 promo, I take that to be the battle at the holdfast. Makes sense, all the stuff that preceded was pretty much travelog , E2 has covered the important points of that. They need to move Arya's story along anyway , a lot of walking and riding can be cut.

From the last shot in the E3 promo, I take that to be the battle at the holdfast. Makes sense, all the stuff that preceded was pretty much travelog , E2 has covered the important points of that. They need to move Arya's story along anyway , a lot of walking and riding can be cut.

We'll find out soon enough! :D Can't wait!

Archived