If the Greyjoys do attack Oldtown.......?

The Frosted King

The Hightowers have enough manpower to take on the ironmen, but Euron has always been the most cunning of the Greyjoy brothers, and he knows he wouldn't be able to take a large fleet to Oldtown without being spotted. It also has to be factored in that Redwyne's fleet is going to come into play. If Euron wants to take Oldtown, he might send a chunk of his forces onto the beach to attack by land while the rest of his fleet attacks by sea, having Oldtown surrounded.

The Hightowers are a very powerful house. Not to mention the Redwynes are on their way. So, unless Euron has some cunning plan, I'm pretty sure the Hightowers and the City watch of Oldtown can fend them off.

The Hightowers have their fair share of bannermen, and a large amount of wealth and influence. Their vassals are known to include the Beesburys, the Bulwers, the Costaynes, Cuys, and Mullendores. They didn't send their own forces when the men of the Reach marched with Renly or with the Lannisters. They're probably capable of defending their lands against raiders who come ashore and stay ashore, but they don't seem to have much in the way of a fleet. In Feast, we learn that one of the Hightowers was making his way to Lys to win help from Lynesse's merchant prince patron.

To be 100% honest...and this won't happen now...but by a mile the best Greyjoy play now would be to quietly patch up things with the Tyrells and attack the Westerlands, which are virtually depleted/undefended, in a much more viable resupply/logistical line for the Iron Islands, involve more immediate material gain, and unlike the Reach, cannot quickly send much held by land, and maybe not any by sea.

Look at the map...think of the history. This is a, forgive me, Golden opportunity.

(More accurately, this would have been better before Raventree fell...but still very viable, especially if you get in league with any of the other players.)

To be 100% honest...and this won't happen now...but by a mile the best Greyjoy play now would be to quietly patch up things with the Tyrells and attack the Westerlands, which are virtually depleted/undefended, in a much more viable resupply/logistical line for the Iron Islands, involve more immediate material gain, and unlike the Reach, cannot quickly send much held by land, and maybe not any by sea.

True, that would be the best course of action, but the Tyrell's are prideful and the Ironborn are idiots so it can never happen.

True, that would be the best course of action, but the Tyrell's are prideful and the Ironborn are idiots so it can never happen.

I spend too much time playing Total War: Westeros, where such concerns are so much wind...but I agree that in the `real`Westeros, it ain`t gonna happen. :)

Yeah that sounds awesome... and dangerous. Thinking of creating a custom Diplomacy map for Westeros. Balance would be a challenge though.

It seems like the initial strategy of capturing the western coastal regions of the North was smart. But I can't imagine the payoff was all that great. Deepwood Motte and Torrhen's Square don't strike me as great sources of plunder... Going for Oldtown is a stretch though. I would think they'd try and recreate Harren's kingdom.. Wasn't it primarily the River Lands?

Could the Hightowers alone rebuff their advance?

I mean, the Hightowers and the houses sworn to them? Think they could field enough men to do so?

I think they could but it would be a tough match for Euron and I would think that the losses would be so severe that he wouldn't be able to do much, and since his goal is the Iron Throne I would imagine that he'll pass it up.

Even if the hightowers have more menpower, they would come from the streets of oldtown and wouldn't be skilled warriors but the ironborn are. Like at the shieldislands the ironborn would kick their asses and then sack oldtown, but if Lord Hightower has the ability of using magic, the ironborn are probably toast

Even if the hightowers have more menpower, they would come from the streets of oldtown and wouldn't be skilled warriors but the ironborn are. Like at the shieldislands the ironborn would kick their asses and then sack oldtown, but if Lord Hightower has the ability of using magic, the ironborn are probably toast

The Ironborn don't do sieges very well. They are unmatched as naval warriors out at sea. And they are good raiders, for short incursions inland. But they don't have siege engines, and I assume Oldtown probably has the highest and strongest city walls in Westeros, being the oldest city on the continent.

So I think capturing a city guarded by 10 000 men would be a tall order for the Ironmen.

Archived